Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No more Miomap updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No more Miomap updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: No more Miomap updates Reply with quote

Oh dear - better get Miomap updates whilst you can (using the "new" Miomap updater):

http://upload.navngo.com/marketing/Vegyes/press/marcius/NavNGo_press_release_Mio.pdf
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely the underlying software uses teleatlas maps so if the igo uses standard teleatlas map packages, surely it will be fine and mio can accommodate c5**/C6**/C3** users?

I know it means you won't get any updates to the igo software...........but no more map data updates? seems harsh.

I was seriously eyeing the mio c620 (because you can add tts and skins etc and lovely map view and speed) or the garmin 760T (nice too, navteq, but slower in map scrolling and route display). Pulling of igo and this now makes me want the garmin more just in case.

I don't understand it either - the navman software is hardly great in use. It does look good, but the 3d view is quite poor compared to igo and garmin. (better than tomtom). The zoom function is irritating with its stepped function and needing to press a button to bring the zoom options up. All those collapsible menus everywhere hiding info (although garmin uses this too as I'm referring to the DTG box). Best feature of navman over igo was TTS and TMC, but bleh. NAvman and igo had lots of customisation features for map colours (great). And Navman has the POI problem...........
Sad

RIP Igo. That was one of the major draws for me in considering the MioC620T despite being £80 more than the garmin 760.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
But surely the underlying software uses teleatlas maps so if the igo uses standard teleatlas map packages, surely it will be fine and mio can accommodate c5**/C6**/C3** users?

I know it means you won't get any updates to the igo software...........but no more map data updates? seems harsh.

I was seriously eyeing the mio c620 (because you can add tts and skins etc and lovely map view and speed) or the garmin 760T (nice too, navteq, but slower in map scrolling and route display). Pulling of igo and this now makes me want the garmin more just in case.

I don't understand it either - the navman software is hardly great in use. It does look good, but the 3d view is quite poor compared to igo and garmin. (better than tomtom). The zoom function is irritating with its stepped function and needing to press a button to bring the zoom options up. All those collapsible menus everywhere hiding info (although garmin uses this too as I'm referring to the DTG box). Best feature of navman over igo was TTS and TMC, but bleh. NAvman and igo had lots of customisation features for map colours (great). And Navman has the POI problem...........
Sad

RIP Igo. That was one of the major draws for me in considering the MioC620T despite being £80 more than the garmin 760.

Yep, it looks as if iGo may be in trouble - it's surely an understatement to say that iGo's fortunes depended to a large extent on Mitac. And equally odd to suggest that Mitact isn't going to find it very tough going using Navman software (does it still not support multiple via points?) The iGo software is still the best.

As for Mio supporting legacy map devices I wouldn't be too sure. The problem isn't the Teleatlas map format but rather the license file and crc checks on the SD card maps. If it is possible to buy generic Teleatlas maps (say iGo maps) and use the licensed and protected SD card in the Mio device maybe there won't be a problem. iirc Miomap looks for maps in both a Miomap and an iGo folder on the protected SD card but I could be wrong. I don't know about other copy protection testing and if it were this simple surely we would have heard more of people using generic Teleatlast maps on protected SD cards? Anyway, both the miomap.exe, the license file and the SD card data work together to perform copy protection checks and unless Mio addressed this issue there won't be (licensed) opportunities to upgrade. If iGo has pulled the plug on Mio for breach of contract then there isn't much of a prospect for "legacy" device support.

The new Mio devices are of course a major backward step for Mio (and everyone else) given the emphasis on 3d mapping software technology. I've been complaining about the lack of support for the CX10 devices but this is going to come as a real slap in the face for people who bought the most recent high end devices.

It isn't good. The only show in town at present - in terms of innovation - seems to be TomTom.

A number of Mio device are easily hackable. The frustration is that it isn't possible to buy licensed PNA compatible software (such as iGo software) for the devices. People will draw their own conclusions and, of course, find their own solutions.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:

There is no such thing as a 'standard teletaltas map package'. All maps are in custom formats created by the end user platform.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Yep, it looks as if iGo may be in trouble - it's surely an understatement to say that iGo's fortunes depended to a large extent on Mitac.

That's a huge overstatement, NavNGo, creators of IGo are not in tropuble at all. Mio may have been one of their largest customers but NavNGo have many more customers and some large products not least of which is their iPhone navigation solution. They also supply HP, a rather larger customer than Mio as well as many other brands.

I'm fairly certain that the loss of Mio will be nothing more than a short term 'blip' in their business plans.

We reported this news on Friday, see here.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat. Oh well Smile

RIP Mio c620.
No point spending £300 on a TMC unit if the maps will not be updateable. I know it's somehting I would only do once a year or every 6months since I'm mostly in London and the roads don't change much now the one way system is already established.

IMO iGo is a good solid piece of software and won't be in trouble because of this. Mitac Mio unless they refine the software or bring amazing hardware that lets the software work will be in trouble. This deal smacks to me of either of the firms having more financial trouble (now or in future) than they were willing to admit and so had to merge just so that they could survive or become even more dominant. Either way, some execmade mucho money.

viva my new comparison 8110 vs garmin 760!!! Smile
one less option to worry about.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Retty wrote:
Yep, it looks as if iGo may be in trouble - it's surely an understatement to say that iGo's fortunes depended to a large extent on Mitac.

That's a huge overstatement, NavNGo, creators of IGo are not in tropuble at all. Mio may have been one of their largest customers but NavNGo have many more customers and some large products not least of which is their iPhone navigation solution. They also supply HP, a rather larger customer than Mio as well as many other brands.

I'm fairly certain that the loss of Mio will be nothing more than a short term 'blip' in their business plans.

We reported this news on Friday, see here.

Didn't see that report on Friday.

Is it not true to say that Mio was the major purchaser of iGo software for PNA use? The point is, if this is correct, that this news means that iGo software is not going to be available on a mass basis to PNA users. The pda and PNA market are quite different (as proved by the fact that it is not possible to buy licensed iGo software for PNA devices).

See however this oddity:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/a15hg.jpg

The news from NavNGo is very significant for NavNGo especially given the fact that the main PNA producers - TomTom, Navman, Garmin and Mitac are closed off to iGo software. For Mio it is probably the beginning of the end unless silly price points can command the market.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Is it not true to say that Mio was the major purchaser of iGo software for PNA use?

One of the larger customers yes but there are many other relatively major brands that use iGO and it has a relatively large presence.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Retty wrote:
Is it not true to say that Mio was the major purchaser of iGo software for PNA use?

One of the larger customers yes but there are many other relatively major brands that use iGO and it has a relatively large presence.

Which other PNA manufacturers use iGo? I remembe when I was reading reviews of various sat nav products in October/November 2006 I came across a couple but I can't find details of them anywhere now.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyGuide, HP, Sony to name a few.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
MyGuide, HP, Sony to name a few.

Thanks - yes, just found MyGuide before I read your post (the Maplin Timetraveller seems to be an oem version of MyGuide so still a great deal but not out of this world amazing when you look at the MyGuide prices). Some of the MyGuide offers seem incredible - excellent value for money. Some claim TMC functionality too but not clear whether out of the box.

Can't find any HP or Sony iGo PNAs though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP iPAQ 310/314, Lutz our US Editor has one and has covered it here

Sony are using iGO for their PSP navigation solution.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the sony NV-U93 and similar models use igo? because they are even more unreliable than the navmans on display and are terrible at map panning!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
do the sony NV-U93 and similar models use igo? because they are even more unreliable than the navmans on display and are terrible at map panning!

No. Some used Navigon, later models use a proprietary package.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
HP iPAQ 310/314, Lutz our US Editor has one and has covered it here

Sony are using iGO for their PSP navigation solution.

Hmm, I suppose the iPAQ kind of counts as a PNA (running Windows CE) but none of the Sony devices do (imho) and certainly not the black glossy Sony product that is the portable Playstation.

Aside from a few oem oddities and the MyGuide devices there don't seem to be many mainstream PNAs, aside from legacy Mio devices, that use iGo software.

Thus the recent news is surely a serious blow for iGo unless they can talk some sense to a company that is on an even bigger route to demise (without 7 digit postcode look up).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: