Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic (GPRS) - Random Icons?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic (GPRS) - Random Icons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic (GPRS) - Random Icons? Reply with quote

Just subscribed to traffic after the initial trial subscription ended several months ago and have to say from what I remember the service appears to have significantly improved.

Just a few queries however,

Does anyone else have random icons on there traffic screen after they have updated or are these supposed to signify high winds in the area?

Also, what do the following colour differences represent?

I'm assuming red for heavy congestion, lighter colours for less congestion?

Thanks,
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best I can tell, as I too would like the definitive answer:

The wind symbol does indeed signify a GENERAL high wind indication in your rough geographic area. It will be gone once the weather has settled down. It is also NOT the same as a specific Wind Issue such as an exposed bridge being subject to closures to high sided vehicles etc - there will normally be a SPECIFIC individual Windsock symbol for unique high wind issues. (As yours actually shows - Triangle symbols for general issues, Windsock in a SQUARE symbol, for a specific issue, i.e. the Tay Bridge)

In terms of the colours, this seems to be evolving...

As last week I noticed the Blue ones for the first time...

Then suddenly, I spotted the yellow ones yesterday.

As far as I can roughly tell, Red animated lines, indicate general traffic congestion delays. (In your screenshot above, you see an example of this where traffic is building up of its own accord (red), because of the upcoming Lane Closure, (as signified blue)).

(SECOND EDIT: Just noticed, the example you chose, of North Shields - spot on... we have lane restrictions on the Coast Road, due to them widening the carriageway and thus having to make a carriageway bridge wider as a result - this is the "BLUE" element in your screenshot - which should actually be shown in BOTH directions, as it is actually a Contra-flow, and explains why traffic is building up in what would seem to be the opposite direction to the lane restriction traffic, but as a result of the lane closures, traffic starts building up on the approach to the restriction - hence the normal RED bit before it. Good example you chose, as it's just near to me!)

Blue lines, indicate anything related to lane restrictions, or lane closures. (As just mentioned above - but also, includes FULL road closures, as your example of the Tay Bridge above - the BAR symbol meaning a closed road)

And the new yellow ones indicate any delays resulting from ongoing Road Works.

Additionally, the direction of animation, OR the way the arrows point, signify the direction of the issue - though it is often hard to make out, on non-animated ones, as the arrows that make up the colouring are small and not sharply pointed.

BUT... this is solely said on the basis of the examples I have been offered, lately.

I would like a proper guide somewhere to expalin this definitively too!
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response,

shadamehr wrote:
As best I can tell, as I too would like the definitive answer:

The wind symbol does indeed signify a GENERAL high wind indication in your rough geographic area. It will be gone once the weather has settled down. It is also NOT the same as a specific Wind Issue such as an exposed bridge being subject to closures to high sided vehicles etc - there will normally be a SPECIFIC individual Windsock symbol for unique high wind issues. (As yours actually shows - Triangle symbols for general issues, Windsock in a SQUARE symbol, for a specific issue, i.e. the Tay Bridge)

Thats why I used the Tay Road Bridge as the example for the General High wind warning/specific high wind warning (on the tay road bridge), to signify the difference between the two.

Your explanation was what I suspected.

shadamehr wrote:

In terms of the colours, this seems to be evolving...

As last week I noticed the Blue ones for the first time...

Then suddenly, I spotted the yellow ones yesterday.

Same here, I only remember red from the last time I used traffic. A valued development I might add, if only we knew what they stood for!

Perhaps someone from ITIS would care to comment if they still read these forums?

shadamehr wrote:

As far as I can roughly tell, Red animated lines, indicate general traffic congestion delays. (In your screenshot above, you see an example of this where traffic is building up of its own accord (red), because of the upcoming Lane Closure, (as signified blue)).

From incidents I've noticed with the different coloured traffic flows, I've concluded that;
Red identifies heavy conjestion/stationary traffic as a result of the roadworks/contraflow/accident etc
Yellow identifies dense traffic moving at a reduced pace for the particular stretch of road. (traffic doing 25 on a road marked 60 for example) as a result of roadworks/contraflow/accident etc.
Blue identifies no restrictions in the flow of traffic but caution of roadworks/contraflow/accident etc. (High winds in the case of the Tay Road Bridge) within the section highlighted.

shadamehr wrote:

I would like a proper guide somewhere to expalin this definitively too!

Glad it's not just me that can't find any literature on traffic then!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: