Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Doubts about new Tomtom x30 Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Doubts about new Tomtom x30 Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Doubts about new Tomtom x30 Series Reply with quote

From what I have seen a it looks like Tomtom have changed the style of covers, copy an extra Lane Assistant feature from Navigon system and expect everyone to get excited. Navigon have been using the Lane Assistant for over a year now. I am sure the next big feature for the Tomtom x40 series will be the 3D Terrain mapping may be released a year from now.

The lane assistant feature only looks good in screen shots.

It looks like Tomtom is trying to recoup the over the odd amount it is intending to pay for the Tele Atlas.

If you have Tomtom x10 or x20 series the maps them self are no different and I will not pay anything extra to upgrade.

Tomtom is trying to get the maximum publicity by JUST re-badge the old product and copying the unnecessary features from others.

Tomtom will need to do a lot more than this to keep the market share. Garmin, Nokia etc. are not far behind.

Does anyone remember how the Microsoft got so big?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are some what different in that they offer the IQ Routes capability, the "Eye Candy" of a "reality view" is something else though, lane assist is handy IMHO - Mike
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again tomtom just seems to try sell new stuff without trying to fix what it has already sold to customers (seem to be going down Microsoft's road) got a 720 which i am still wanting to work properly so no way am i going to upgrade .just wish there was another product as good as tomtom
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we worrying?
TomTom said our x20 models were future proof so of course we will get all the new features.

TomTom would not lie to us would they?

Quote:
TomTom HOME is the place to come for the free software that enables users to keep their TomTom devices future proof, cutting-edge and fully personalised.

HummerUK
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
again tomtom just seems to try sell new stuff without trying to fix what it has already sold to customers (seem to be going down Microsoft's road) got a 720 which i am still wanting to work properly so no way am i going to upgrade .just wish there was another product as good as tomtom

Many products are as good or even better than Tomtom. The one I like is Garmin Nuvi 250 Widescreen Satellite Navigation System the mapping and the set of POI's are much better than Tomtom and cheaper. Tomtom is over priced with the fancy look. The mapping for Tomtom still have far too many erros for the EU and the USA maps.

The maps for x30 series are no better than x20 series. This is the marketing at its best - change the covers and the interface and make it look like this the innovation where else all changes are copied from the other manufactures.
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The maps are some what different in that they offer the IQ Routes capability, the "Eye Candy" of a "reality view" is something else though, lane assist is handy IMHO - Mike

I am sure drives should be looking at the road and the outside surrounding not the "reality view" or the lane assist. I am sure the voice instructions are more important than any of the other features you have said above.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sure the voice instructions are more important than any of the other features you have said above.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure.............

I regularly join the M4 at J4 (the Heathrow turn off) but I join it from the other direction i.e. travelling down from the Uxbridge area. As you approach the junction you first of all pass through the infamous Cherry Roundabout - rarely has a more confusing junction been designed Confused and then you have 5 lanes to choose from at the actual junction with the M4.

The roundabout at this junction was reconfigured about a year ago but if I am going to join the motorway to travel Westbound (e.g. towards Reading) I know that I have to stay on the far right until I am about half way around the junction and then move quickly left to join the exit lane up to the M4 so as not to find myself on the wrong side of another 'island' on the roundabout which would force me back up the way I had just come from. (Sounds confusing but actually works well in practice if you know the junction Wink )

However on the approach to the Cherry roundabout and then to the M4 roundabout (these are about 200 yds apart) the TT tells me to 'Keep Left' and then to 'Go right at the roundabout.' If I followed these verbal instructions I would find myself forced to go eastbound at the motorway towards London or else into Heathrow since I wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting back across 5 lanes of traffic whilst trying to miss the 'islands' that tend to force you into a specific lane.

Verbal instructions may work most of the time but trust me, they don't work in the instance above (and it has to be said that even the map on the screen isn't that clear)

This is very much a case of reading the road signs and completely ignoring the sat nav other than to join the motorway in the correct direction.....
In fact a properly configured 'lane assist' screen would likely be most helpful for first timers at this junction
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
In fact a properly configured 'lane assist' screen would likely be most helpful for first timers at this junction

I don't suppose they'll be doing one for the Magic Roundabout in Swindon, though! Google Earth and get down close 51.56284207, -1.7714649. (I close my eyes, floor the pedal and pray!)

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
perussell wrote:

I don't suppose they'll be doing one for the Magic Roundabout in Swindon, though! Google Earth and get down close 51.56284207, -1.7714649. (I close my eyes, floor the pedal and pray!)

Might be interesting when someone gets hold of the x30 map for France to see the 'Lane Assist' screen for the road around the Arc de Triomphe in Paris Surprised
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Might be interesting when someone gets hold of the x30 map for France to see the 'Lane Assist' screen for the road around the Arc de Triomphe in Paris Surprised

I was on that not so long ago, with a police car, complete with blue flashing lights next to me. We were BOTH too scared to move until a nice big gap opened up. I hear a rumor that car insurance is automatically suspended while on that roundabout. Is this just a myth?

Z.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycled round it!! Just pedaled like mad and hoped the 7 lanes of traffic stopped for me.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]I hear a rumor that car insurance is automatically suspended while on that roundabout. Is this just a myth?

This is true.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
again tomtom just seems to try sell new stuff without trying to fix what it has already sold to customers (seem to be going down Microsoft's road)

Pfff, which company doesn't, these days. *glares towards Cupertino, CA*

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: