Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Voice files?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Voice files?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: TomTom Voice files? Reply with quote

Hit here I've got yet another problem (I seem to have to much bad luck with these damn satnavs!) you really helped me last time so I hope you can do the same again please!! The speech recognition doesnt work on my tomtom 720. It didnt really say why at first untill I tried to enter a address using spoken dialog from the quick menu when It said " Speech Recognition files available" So I connect it to my computer and tried the ususal, re-install the computer voices, update the bloody thing but still does not work. Does anyone know what these S.R. files look like? And where can I get hold of them!
Thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go too far messing around swapping files, have you tried pressing the reset button on the underneath of the device? - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Voice files? Reply with quote

browny23 wrote:
Hit here I've got yet another problem (I seem to have to much bad luck with these damn satnavs!) you really helped me last time so I hope you can do the same again please!! The speech recognition doesnt work on my tomtom 720. It didnt really say why at first untill I tried to enter a address using spoken dialog from the quick menu when It said " Speech Recognition files available" So I connect it to my computer and tried the ususal, re-install the computer voices, update the bloody thing but still does not work. Does anyone know what these S.R. files look like? And where can I get hold of them!
Thanks again

The computer voices don't have anything to do with speech recognition. They're for having words go from the unit to the user. Speech recognition is the other way around.

I can only tell you what works for us in North America to get Speech Recognition working on 720's:
1. Have firmware 7.221
2. Have North America maps version 7.10
3. Have a file with just a 1 in it called support_asr.dat and that file goes in the asr folder on the unit.

I would guess item 2 above would be a WE or equivalent map on your side of the pond.

Anyway, those steps work for us. Hope this helps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check, are you using Western Europe maps on a machine bought in the UK? (the speech recognition files are missing on the Europe map if you buy it in the US).
As Mike says, don't get too carried away with replacing files yet. My 720 stopped recognising voice commands soon after I got it (tracked down to me having copied my MapSettings.cfg file from an older machine that didn't have text to speech), and I had to do a "return to factory settings" as well as a reset.
I HAVE seen a link to get the speech recognition files for the map from TomTom just a few days ago, but I can't find it at the moment.
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick replies. Tried the reset, still doesn't work. Also tried your soloution dhm but there was already a file there with a 1 in it with that name. dtill doesn't work. The speech recognition did work originally when I bought it on the previous Thursday however it was after I updated my tomtom720 through TTHome that it stopped working. It updated almost every part of the tomtom, i.e. maps, speed cameras and other stuff. Then after removing it from the dock my tomtom stopped working alltogether (see previous thread i made "Problem with TomTom 720") So now i got it working but the speech recognition wont work.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the return to factory settings I suggested?
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Did you try the return to factory settings I suggested?

Yup and the reset button underneath aswell
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how your EU maps work, but in North America we have to select the "State" that we want to search in for the SR option to be available because the CSPEECH_ST files are broken down on a statewide basis. You cannot use SR for a nationwide search. Maybe when you did the factory reset your selection went "up a level" and now deactivated the SR?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found the topic with the link to the European voice recognition files (it wasn't on this forum at all!).

HAve a look HERE. The link to the files is in post #16 (the last post at the moment).
See if you have got them all in your map folder already.
archosok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you selected a computer voice, in the Change voice option?
Just a stab in the dark really, similar thing happenedx on my 520.

Archie
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies again. Yup Ive downloaded different computer voices and made sure it was just that one selected but i think someone said before, that is text to speech and not the other way round for which I'm having problems with, but thank you very much for your suggestion! I will have a look at the files and see whats what.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

browny23 wrote:
i think someone said before, that is text to speech and not the other way round for which I'm having problems with,

They ARE connected though. Often if you have problems with one, the other stops working too.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
browny23 wrote:
i think someone said before, that is text to speech and not the other way round for which I'm having problems with,

They ARE connected though. Often if you have problems with one, the other stops working too.

Well, maybe because the NA version of the 720 required what is essentially a 'hack' to get Voice Recognition working, the relationship between TTS & VR is not the same as for Europe, where VR is built into the units, I believe.

So......guess 'll have to limit my opinion to just the NA model. Sorry. Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be sorry! I think we are all clutching at straws a bit with this one.

All I was thinking of was the time that I messed up one of the text to speech voices through a bit of "finger-trouble" while file copying, and then the next day I tried to show off the Speech recognition to someone, and it sat there and sulked.
Once I'd sorted out the TTS voice (used a MapSettings.cfg from a backup and did a "restore to factory settings"), the speech recognition came good too.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy has mentioned the MapSettings.cfg file a couple of times in this thread now. It may be worth the OP deleting/renaming this file and allowing the TomTom to recreate it from scratch. You do lose favorites and other settings if you do this so a backup would be in order beforehand.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: