Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to input several wp manually in the A10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to input several wp manually in the A10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: How to input several wp manually in the A10 Reply with quote

Hello everyone, the A10 is my 1st GPS, can anyone help with this , how do I enter several waypoint manually into the A10 prior to start the walk.

I have several walks with just waypoints, apparently I can only enter 1 waypoint, it shows with a flag in the sd map, when I enter the 2nd waypoint it replace the 1st one.

Surely there must be a way to enter several wp manually.

The A10 manual is not much help, actually I find the manual very very basic

Any help?

By the way , when used in a walk the A10 is great, the location dot is usually right in the midle of the path
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Inputing waypoints Reply with quote

Hello a10user

Sorry for the delay in response but I had expected some more experienced forum users to reply earlier. As no one else has I will have a go and hope it helps.

First use the joystick to take you to near your first waypoint. Then press the lower left hand button (the routes menu). Use the joystick to select "create new route" and select it either by pressing the joystick or using the right hand button. This should take you back to the map. Place the cursor over the first waypoint and press it down. A mark should appear on the map. Next use the joystick to move to the next waypoint and press it down again. A second mark should appear with a yellow line between the two points. Keep this up until you reach the last point (here you may be asked if you wish to close the route). Press the bottom right button ("done") and it should take you to the "routes menu" and show your new route as "My Route 1" (or 2 or 3 or whatever). You can then rename it as you wish.

No doubt others can correct where I have erred or been ambiguous but in the meantime I hope this helps.
Satsync 1.525
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Inputing waypoints Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Hello a10user

Sorry for the delay in response but I had expected some more experienced forum users to reply earlier. As no one else has I will have a go and hope it helps.

First use the joystick to take you to near your first waypoint. Then press the lower left hand button (the routes menu). Use the joystick to select "create new route" and select it either by pressing the joystick or using the right hand button. This should take you back to the map. Place the cursor over the first waypoint and press it down. A mark should appear on the map. Next use the joystick to move to the next waypoint and press it down again. A second mark should appear with a yellow line between the two points. Keep this up until you reach the last point (here you may be asked if you wish to close the route). Press the bottom right button ("done") and it should take you to the "routes menu" and show your new route as "My Route 1" (or 2 or 3 or whatever). You can then rename it as you wish.

No doubt others can correct where I have erred or been ambiguous but in the meantime I hope this helps.

Thank Mike

What I mean is , I have few walks given to me , the only details I have is a list of wp i.e SY 2452 2658, SY 2468 2568 and so on about 36 wp.
the way u suggested is the same as creating a route directly in the A10, which i can do, what I dont know is how to enter various wp as coordinates, and then have the route showing on the map, and not using the joystick to find them on the sd map wich is a bit difficult to do.
Thanks for your reply.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in responding.

However I think the answer is as before. When you are in route planning mode the grid reference is shown in the left hand box. So why not just use the joystick to guide you to the grid ref and mark the spot by pressing the joystick?

Hope that helps.
Satsync 1.525
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way of entering waypoints using grid references, if you create a POI and then edit it. From POI Menu on Main Menu ... My POIs ... Select ... [POI 1] ... Edit ... Edit Location By Grid ... Edit ........... - this will display the OS GB grid reference which you can then edit as required. However, I don't think this will actually generate a route around waypoints entered in this fashion. To get a route, you need either to import it as a .gpx file, or create it as described by LostMike.
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
There is a way of entering waypoints using grid references, if you create a POI and then edit it. From POI Menu on Main Menu ... My POIs ... Select ... [POI 1] ... Edit ... Edit Location By Grid ... Edit ........... - this will display the OS GB grid reference which you can then edit as required. However, I don't think this will actually generate a route around waypoints entered in this fashion. To get a route, you need either to import it as a .gpx file, or create it as described by LostMike.

Thanks for your replay better wait for the facility that satmap are going to put in the web site
AJN70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to handheld gps's as well and have the same query. Rather than start a new thread maybe I can ask for a different solution. Is there any software that allows you to enter these grid references and can then create a gpx file? I have all the references I need from this link below:

http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/2004/603.php

I just want a simpler way to create the route than using the button to locate each ref manually and then marking.

I see lots of references to different programs but I can't see one that will do what looks to be a simple task. Your experience would be greatly appreciated.
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJN70 wrote:
Hi I'm new to handheld gps's as well and have the same query. Rather than start a new thread maybe I can ask for a different solution. Is there any software that allows you to enter these grid references and can then create a gpx file? I have all the references I need from this link below:

http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/2004/603.php

I just want a simpler way to create the route than using the button to locate each ref manually and then marking.

I see lots of references to different programs but I can't see one that will do what looks to be a simple task. Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I am in the same boat, this is my 1st gps amd like u I am looking for some software to do this simple job, I will let u know if I manage it
AlexPerry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm a new user to handheld GPS too and thought that solving this problem would be a great way of learning all about the Active 10 and how to get the best out of it / what software there is out there that supports it etc.

Anyway I started looking at 9:30pm and its now 3:00am - good news is that this is possible - bad news is that it certainly isn't what you would call simple and easy to do. - (well once you understand all the steps it is pretty quick - I converted the walk mentioned in previous post in about 10 mins to my Active 10) - I couldn't find any websites or software out there that does all this job in one go so there is a lot of manual steps involved.

The fundemental problem is that satmap like all GPS uses latitude/longtitude/height to track where you are (ie spherical co-ordinates) - OS maps are a grid reference - ie a Mercator (well similar) projection tied in to triangulation points from some datum point (Newquay I believe) so converting between them (especialy in 3d) is not straightforward.

Obviously this is something that lots of people have wanted to do so there are solutions out there - unfortunately they seem to be sort of professional standard, accurate conversions - I would imagine that this is vitally important for say accurately plotting where obstructions are in water so that ships don't run aground but being asked questions about what elipsoid variation I want for the asizmuth angle or some such seems a bit of overkill for my 15 mile sunday afternoon walk!

The simple sites that I discovered for conversion like http://www.nearby.org.uk are of limited value since they don't support converting lists of OS Grid references - and stop working if you repeatedly copy and paste different Grid refs in - very annoying.

Anyway I'll just sketch out the solution I found since otherwise this post will be very lengthy - if anyone want more detailed info just pm me your email address and I'll send full instructions with sample files attached.

1]Get list of OS Waypoints into an Excel file in format like:-
Name OSGridRef
1 TL4910120920
2]Bit of Excel manipulation to convert to new OS format (The new format no longer uses sheet names like TL instead goes to 549101,220920 for this Grid ref) I used Excel since I can't stand too much cutting and pasting!
3]Use Grid Inquest to convert xls file from OS format to lat,long
Grid Inquest is available free from link on OS website (though you need to register to download it) - There is a bulk conversion option on the website if you don't want to download the exe http://gps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/convert.asp
4]Small amount of text editing to name columns in resulting csv file
5]Use GPSBabel (from http://www.gpsbabel.org) to convert from named csv data into GPX XML (The format used by Satmap) - note transfer as route - satmap doesn't seem to accept list of waypoints.
7]Import resulting gpx file into your satmap using SATSYNC (available from satmaps website if you haven't already got it)
8]Switch off and on again and hey presto new route is there ready to be activated.

Hope this is of some help to someone!

Alex
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with LostMike, in the short term why not simply use the joystick to move from one grid ref to the next, pressing the joystick each time to build the route. This was done intuitively by the chap on The Gadget Show who seemed to have no difficulty entering his string of waypoint grid refs. and was suitably impressed.

Longer term, I hope Satmap build the kind of functionality outlined above by Alex into their web planner.

Ian
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if the A10 is working a lot better than it did at its launch, so I may be tempted to purchase one soon. With this in mind, I would be grateful if one of the experts on this site could answer a few questions for me?

Using the planning mode on the Satmap A10, is it possible to enter waypoints only - not a series of waypoints joined by a straight line - just waypoints?

If yes, can these Waypoints be given a name, or number to identify them, as is possible using a Garmin unit?

If I am out walking and looking at the map on the A10 screen, wiill I be able to see my waypoints, and their names?

Thanks for your time.

kidstypike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidstypike wrote:
... Using the planning mode on the Satmap A10, is it possible to enter waypoints only - not a series of waypoints joined by a straight line - just waypoints? If yes, can these Waypoints be given a name, or number to identify them, as is possible using a Garmin unit? If I am out walking and looking at the map on the A10 screen, will I be able to see my waypoints, and their names? kidstypike
In Satmap jargon, it seems to be "Points of Interest" (POIs) You can make these with a couple of button presses whenever you like. They then get saved as "My POIs" and you can select and edit the name just as you can with a Garmin. I find this process rather easier with the Satmap - the little joystick thingy navigates and inputs well and it's slightly quicker than with my Garmin. You can then pick one of these POI and "Go To" it, but you'll only get a straight line, as-the-crow-flies, route, unlike certain Garmin models which will take you "by road" if you select that option (although not very reliably in my experience.) Your POIs will be visible on screen and there is an option (you can enable/disable this) to have an info page pop up with relevant information about that POI when you are in the vicinity.

I would suggest however, that before buying, you download the full user manual from their website and read through it thoroughly to get an accurate idea of what it and willl not do. For instance, you can create user defined categories of POI - e.g. churches, cafes, pubs, etc., whatever suits your interests - but they appear to have overlooked providing a means to move individual POIs from one category to another or to provide any means of saving a fresh POI in a category of your choice. I mentioned this to Satmap on the 'phone and there was a long silence at the other end - I think they're now looking at this!

One of the benefits of being a small company based in the UK is that customer user suggestions and feedback are highly appreciated and they are keen to react quickly to rectify shortcomings identified by real world users out in the field.
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Satmap jargon, it seems to be "Points of Interest" (POIs)

Many thanks for your detailed reply, there seems to be a conflicting use of the word Waypoint. Satmap seems to refer to the green dots in a route as waypoints, to me these are Trackpoints.

Yes, I suppose POI's would do the job for me, I've just read through the Satmap manual on POI's, and although it does at first seem complicated, I would hope that with an A10 to play with, it would be pretty simple.

Quote:
but they appear to have overlooked providing a means to move individual POIs from one category to another or to provide any means of saving a fresh POI in a category of your choice. I mentioned this to Satmap on the 'phone and there was a long silence at the other end - I think they're now looking at this!

ROFL!
Well let's hope they get this fixed, and include it in one of their updates.

Many thanks.

kidstypike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: