Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 520T & Traffic service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 520T & Traffic service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLawson07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: TT 520T & Traffic service Reply with quote

I've got myself a TomTom 520T, one of the main reasons being for the Traffic updates.

I went to some trouble to get data services enabled on my mobile (a Nokia N70) and I can browse the web fine on that. I can make calls out from my TomTom through my phone, so the Bluetooth is working fine.

However, I cannot connect to the Traffic service. I go through the wizard on my TomTom and it gets to 65% complete, "Checking wireless data connection settings...", and then comes back and tells me that it's unable to setup my wireless data connection, and would I like to change the settings? I've tried several different combination of settings and none seem to work.

I've been on to TomTom support who say that since I'm going through a (Vodafone) WAP gateway for my data connection (wap.vodafone.co.uk), I'm not using GPRS even though my phone says the data bearer is "packet service". TomTom Support are suggesting going back to my phone service provider.

This sounds fishy to me, as if TomTom are trying to pass the buck. Am I doing something stoopid? I'm reasonably technical but mobile data comms ain't my area.

TIA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to contact your phone network provider and ask them to enable full internet GPRS connectivity, a WAP connection is not compatible with the TomTom server - this usually involves the phone company sending some settings to your phone and is automatic in terms of configuring the phone, GPRS is generally disabled by default until requested by the customer - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, if you have a 520T surely you should be using the TMC receiver, not the GPRS TT Traffic service?

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 520T should still connect via GPRS for other services though even if the Traffic is being fed from RDS, Buddies and Weather do not require subscription by payment and will work when correctly set up and connected via a suitable mobile phone.

If you are using the RDS-TMC for traffic make sure it is connected by pushing the plug firmly into the socket (it can take considerable force), then you are at the beck and call of local reception quality which can be a postcode lottery, where in the UK are you located? - Mike
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking at http://help.vodafone.co.uk/ota.php?ModelID=101&e=0 or http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html#voda for GPRS settings.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 520T & Traffic service Reply with quote

SLawson07 wrote:
However, I cannot connect to the Traffic service. I go through the wizard on my TomTom and it gets to 65% complete, "Checking wireless data connection settings...", and then comes back and tells me that it's unable to setup my wireless data connection, and would I like to change the settings? I've tried several different combination of settings and none seem to work.

Hanging on 65% is a common thing on the TT and wireless data connection. I have typed up a post on how to do this in the traffic thread. I have typed it up for a 3GB phone but the rest is the same exept where you pick the network provider. Have a look and any other problems after it let me know. Smile
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: