Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying a Tom Tom - the devils kitchen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a Tom Tom - the devils kitchen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Buying a Tom Tom - the devils kitchen Reply with quote

After reading all the reports in here about map downloads and versions of them and firm ware etc I am getting a little nervous about purchasing a new tom tom.

What I would like is a Shop - where you can go in and they set it up with the latest maps and software etc and you walk out an put it in the car and drive off..
You do this with washing machine and dishwashers and TV's etc even my computer was installed for me. Very Happy

Why not a device like a Tom Tom??? Sad

Are they made in the Netherlands? (sorry I don't know Question ) If so when I am on holiday can I go and pick one up from the factory outlet?

This is the one thing that is putting me off, and several others who I have spoken to as well.

Is there NOTHING that can be done???
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords will help set up any sat nav you buy from them.

As for the latest maps etc, this forum is a wealth of info and knowledgable types. Might it not be better to learn to do these things yourself and then 6 months down the line you can update the system without having to go back to a shop?

Ask all the questions you need here - plenty of people will answer.
daddyslaphead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre,

It's all too easy to read through any forum and get the impression that a particular product or service is rubbish. This forum is easily the best of it's type but what you will read the most about is people with device or software problems. That what the forum is for. Few people post topics about how good their device is Wink

I'm not for a moment suggesting that TT devices are all faultless or that their software is perfect because we all know that isn't the case. I'm just saying that you have to maintain a perspective. The majority don't have any problems with their purchase but may still post questions about how to this or how to do that. As paul said, if you're not sure about something then just ask on here - there always seems to be someone with the answer.

In short I'm saying that you shouldn't be put off from buying a TT because of what you have read or anywhere else.

Daddyslaphead
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the Classic and have had it for a few years -- absolutely great but my son has just got the 520 and I took it out for a drive the other day and it knocks the Classic into a hat.

Thats why I am thinking of getting the larger one as it will have a 4 GB flash and the Europe maps on - so I don't have to do any downloads etc.

I looked on the sales area here ant there seemed to be a bit
YooNoo Installation, Set-Up & Test
which might go some way to solve my apprehensions.

Does it work? or should I say will it do what I need?

Thanks for your help

Maurice
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross my palm with silver....? Laughing
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
I do have the Classic and have had it for a few years -- absolutely great but my son has just got the 520 and I took it out for a drive the other day and it knocks the Classic into a hat.

Thats why I am thinking of getting the larger one as it will have a 4 GB flash and the Europe maps on - so I don't have to do any downloads etc.

I looked on the sales area here ant there seemed to be a bit
YooNoo Installation, Set-Up & Test
which might go some way to solve my apprehensions.

Does it work? or should I say will it do what I need?

Thanks for your help

Maurice

Halfords are selling the Tomtom 720 for £187-99 ( it is not that price in the shops but if you do a search online you will find it)
At some point in the future you will want to update the software or update the maps or make use of the excellent speed camera data base on this site so as a previous poster had said the earlier you do it the easier it gets
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Tom Tom - the devils kitchen Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
What I would like is a Shop - where you can go in and they set it up with the latest maps and software etc and you walk out an put it in the car and drive off..
You do this with washing machine and dishwashers and TV's etc even my computer was installed for me. Very Happy

Why not a device like a Tom Tom??? Sad

BestBuy here in the US says they offer this service for a mere $25.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite all the issues you have read about, I would not worry, buy from a reputable supplier, plug it in and go.

There really is no need to have Halfords set it up (and all they will do is take it out of the box and plug it in to your car!).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: