Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Maps have arrived - or have they?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Maps have arrived - or have they?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very lengthy process if you do it directly to the nuvi. I had no choice as my 660 is European maps - it was automatic. I did a full backup (50 mins) then did the upgrade. It was close on 2 hours to complete - give or take - I left it alone.

If you can do it to a card via your PC/Cardreader then it will be quicker.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
When you run Mapsource does it show all of Europe for the 2008 Maps? It should show the latest map set name in the top left in the drop down box.

But where do I get Mapsource from? It doesn't appear to be on the update DVD although (judging by the names) there are some Mapsource related dlls.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try....

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
Guffnuts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD ordered and just to confirm, VAT is added onto the final amount. Still $88 is still cheaper than some of the alternatives out there.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Try....

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

OK got that and installed it. Fires up OK. How do I get it to recognise the maps on the DVD?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may just have to re-install them on the PC. You won't (thankfully) have to go through the re-install onto your sat nav.
800ster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've v9 UK maps pre-installed on my 310T, is the purchase of the 2008 NT Europe upgrade discussed here (and showing on my map updates web page) my only option or are Garmin likely to offer soon a cheaper UK-only map upgrade? Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2008 NT Europe is your only choice. However, personally, i think it's worth skipping a version.
Guffnuts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
However, personally, i think it's worth skipping a version.

Unless there are new roads which you use and you find the "recalculating" announcement annoying! Laughing
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i suppose, but you'd need to check on Garmins website first the "missing" roads are now there.

The only 2 problerms i have with the v8 maps are

1) 1 local road i use about once a year

2) The new bit of the A1(M) where v8 still shows it as fields and my i3 flips out....

But i can live with both of those.....
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin have kept it quiet but:-

CityNavigator Europe Non-NT v2008 has arrived!

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavEuro.jsp
Nonny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Garmin Map Update 2008 City Navigator Europe NT Reply with quote

My 2008 update DVD arrived today. It says in the instructions that 'This update DVD supports updating one Garmin unit'. I got the update DVD free because I bought a new Nuvi 350 in December which had the 2007 maps on it. I also have an older Nuvi 660. What's to prevent me from installing the 2008 update on both units?
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Map Update 2008 City Navigator Europe NT Reply with quote

Garmin does send out the update DVDs free of charge if you have a unit that they have an update for. This does not tell you anything about how much it does cost you to do (aka install) the update on your unit.

If you qualify for a free update because of the date of purchase of your unit being after the new map has been released, you don't have to pay anything. If you don't qualify you have to buy the unlock code.

In both cases, you need an unlock code to install the map on the unit. To get that, log onto your myGarmin account and go through the update process to get the unlock code. In your first mentioned case, you'll simply get an unlock code. In the second case, you will have to buy the unlock code.
This means, that if your second unit uses the same kind of maps, NT vs. non-NT, you can use the same DVD for both units. But you need a separate unlock code for each of them.

One or two years back you were given the freedom to register a second unit for a map you had purchased. I think the phrase you are mentioning means that they discontinued that.

BeatO
Nonny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Map Update 2008 City Navigator Europe NT Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:
If you qualify for a free update because of the date of purchase of your unit being after the new map has been released, you don't have to pay anything. If you don't qualify you have to buy the unlock code.

In both cases, you need an unlock code to install the map on the unit. To get that, log onto your myGarmin account and go through the update process to get the unlock code. In your first mentioned case, you'll simply get an unlock code. In the second case, you will have to buy the unlock code.
BeatO

Thanks, BeatO. This is interesting. These instructions http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/07/how_to_install_garmins_map_upd.php don't mention anything about the need for an unlock code. I have not installed the update on either unit yet: the later unit (the 350) is currently on route to Spain and I don't want to try it on the older unit (the 660) until I've got the other one sorted.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Product Code' mentioned in the instructions is the Unlock code as far as I remember. You certainly need one. When you BUY a DVD this is on the DVD case or a yellow slip. When you get sent a free update DVD it isn't. You then have to do as BeatO suggests - as he says, I also understand that the 2-unit facility has been dropped - this means that once you've used it on one unit, it will refuse to let you update a second unit using that same Code. So you are right to hang on for your uptodate unit!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: