Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Maps have arrived - or have they?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Maps have arrived - or have they?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting twist to this mess - Garmin UK told me by email today that the update discs have to obtained in the UK from a retailer such as Halfords etc. If Garmin UK don't understand their own website, little hope for us, is there?
tigre64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to reply to my own post, but i have a useful answer from Garmin
(its from france so excuse the english) hope it helps to clarify some queries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I see that Garmin European City Navigator Update 2008 is now available, i have the 610T which is fixed for UK/Ireland. Will this upgrade give my Nuvi 610T full european coverage"

The answer is YES.

By the end of February will release Citynavigator Europe V10 called Citynavigator 2008.
So please wait and that will be the best way to go by getting fresh new updated maps. They will be payable to every single customer who will be interested in.

Please remember that the City Navigator Europe NT 2008 Map update will be available via Retail outlets only.

Customers will be able to order via their mygarmin account if they are entitle free.

Any purchase or product registration from the 1 December 2007 will then qualify for free update.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered mine from Globalpositioningsystems. They've got 6 in. WOW!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non left now - I just took the last in stock Very Happy
garden_elvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought the update from some guy on ebay at £13.50 sounds too good to be true, it hasn't arrived yet, but he has 45 of them currently plus he has good feedback from other buyers, so maybe it's the real deal?

Here's the link

LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN - I THINK IT'S OBVIOUSLY PIRATE OR DODGY. PaulB2005

What do you guys think?
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garden_elvis wrote:
I've bought the update from some guy on ebay at £13.50 sounds too good to be true, it hasn't arrived yet, but he has 45 of them currently plus he has good feedback from other buyers, so maybe it's the real deal?

Here's the link

LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN - I THINK IT'S OBVIOUSLY PIRATE OR DODGY. PaulB2005

What do you guys think?

"at £13.50 sounds too good to be true"

It is too good to be true, it will be a bootleg copy.

It will be a plain copied DVD in a brown envelope, plus either a key generating program, or he will need you to supply your serial numbers etc to generate the unlock codes.

Totally illegal
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely illegal..

BTW - it doesn't mention Update. It may be the full kit - which won't update your nuvi in any event.

The payment scheme looks a bit dodgy to me as well - no Paypal, bank transfer or 'secure credit card scheme' - I wouldn't go near it with the proverbial barge pole - and I've handled a few long ones!

Assuming the OP (of the eBay link) is genuine I would see if you can stop any transaction. 100% positive feedback means absolutely nothing in thsi context.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so my update DVD has arrived. The documentation is scant. With previous map updates it was possible to add additional regions to the previously installed set. Currently I only have UK and Ireland (on a Nuvi 300). Ideally I would like to add the rest of Europe. Clearly I will need an SD card but before I buy one can anyone tell me if it is possible and the procedure.
paul9018
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi when did you apply to get the dvd???
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul9018 wrote:

Yes, that seemed quick, perhaps mine will arrive from Garmin UK any day now, instead of the 7-10 plus days they quote Smile
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
OK so my update DVD has arrived. The documentation is scant. With previous map updates it was possible to add additional regions to the previously installed set. Currently I only have UK and Ireland (on a Nuvi 300). Ideally I would like to add the rest of Europe. Clearly I will need an SD card but before I buy one can anyone tell me if it is possible and the procedure.

I have a Nuvi 310, which came with UK&I. When I went from V8 to V9 I was able to update the UK&I maps on the device itself. Using Mapsource I then selected every other region of Europe, excluding UK&I, and this creates a European mapset (approx 1.1 GB) as a single file, which I then put onto an SD card. Plug the SD card into the Nuvi, and all of Europe was available.

I seem to remember it took quite some time to build the European mapset file, and also I would recommend putting the SD card into an SD card reader to get the file onto the SD card (rather than doing it with the Nuvi connected and SD card inserted in the Nuvi) as I found it deadly slow writing to the SD card via the Nuvi.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul9018 wrote:

I purchased yesterday from global positioning systems (which is a trading name for eXpansys). I only paid for 2-3 day delivery so was surprised when it turned up today.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bad - ordered mine on Thursday (from globalp... expansys) last week It's arriving tomorrow - by special delivery - only paid for regular shipping as well.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
When I went from V8 to V9 I was able to update the UK&I maps on the device itself. Using Mapsource I then selected every other region of Europe, excluding UK&I, and this creates a European mapset (approx 1.1 GB) as a single file, which I then put onto an SD card. Plug the SD card into the Nuvi, and all of Europe was available.

Maybe I am being stupid but I can't see how to do this with the 2008 update; anybody any ideas? The UK & Ireland maps upgraded without problem but the only obvious option was to update a single region.
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run Mapsource does it show all of Europe for the 2008 Maps? It should show the latest map set name in the top left in the drop down box.

You should then click on the 'Map' tool in the menu bar (a 5 sided polygon with a yellow outline). Then select the maps you want. If you click and hold on the top left corner, and then drag all the way to the bottom right, then release, you should select all the maps in Europe (they should turn pink). You can then individually click on the UK maps to deselect them.

Then connect an SD card (either directly via a USB reader, or via the Nuvi itself), then select 'send to device' (the grey icon with an downward pointing arrow to the left of the 'map' tool. It should then write the European maps to the SD card (quite a lengthy process)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: