Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to choose waypoints to influence TT One's route?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to choose waypoints to influence TT One's route?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
random_fruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: How to choose waypoints to influence TT One's route? Reply with quote

I have a TomTom One with speed cameras and traffic service.

I often travel from Reading to the suburbs of West London: an example of a journey happening soon is to Carshalton. I always have a destination postcode and house number, so finding the end-point is easy. What is a problem is the route, which can be round the M4 and M25. I'd like to be able to say, in effect "avoid the M4, but go round the M25 and choose between Junctions 9, 8, or 7." When I enter the route via TomTom home it chooses based on Traffic conditions at the time, but my journey is due the following morning rush-hour. I am beginning to know that, say J7 then via M23 and A23 will be a killer the following morning. Likewise, via M4 and then South circular can be a problem.

If I put favourites round the M25 I have found the placement to be a problem: they are too exact and I have found daft routings if I misplace the favourite onto the wrong-direction carriageway.

It occurred to me that for round-about junctions, a single favourite called, for example, M25-J8 at one point on the round-about itself would work. Any ideas for more complex junctions, eg M25-J7 which is a full spagetti-junction like arrangement with the M23?

Indeed, any suggestions for the way of inputting the return journey's vague idea of "at this time of day from Croydon to Reading, I want to go via the M25 and not via south-circular and M4"?

Thanks in anticipation of your suggestions,

Random fruit, based near Reading
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a set of motorway exit/entrance PoI's here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomPOI/

But I have found the best way into Carshalton can be from the M25 J10, A3, A244, Oxshott, Epsom and Banstead.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
There's a set of motorway exit/entrance PoI's here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomPOI/
A more up-to-date set of Entry and Exit Junctions can now be found on the POI Page.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a single carriageway road on the journey, you can go via a favourtite placed there (I have used this to use a particular junction and placed the mark just down the road). Placing the mark on the roundabout itself could make the TomTom keep trying to get you back around the roundabout if it's too far off-course.

Also, once a route has been calculated, you can choose "Find alternative" and not go via the M4 for example. Another route would then be calculated and you could avoid another road if you wanted.
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to choose waypoints to influence TT One's route? Reply with quote

random_fruit wrote:
It occurred to me that for round-about junctions, a single favourite called, for example, M25-J8 at one point on the round-about itself would work.
You would need the Motorway Entry POI and select to Travel Via M25 8CCW.

random_fruit wrote:
Any ideas for more complex junctions, eg M25-J7 which is a full spagetti-junction like arrangement with the M23?
This would also need the Entry POI and in this instance travel via M23 8N.

If you wanted the same Junction on the return route, you would travel via M25 7CW.

It might seem complicated, but it is easily mastered.

GerryC wrote:
Also, once a route has been calculated, you can choose "Find alternative" and not go via the M4 for example. Another route would then be calculated and you could avoid another road if you wanted.
Or better still use Avoid part of route in the Alternatives and choose M4 .... all 17 miles of it.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i where making the journey i'd favour J8 and use the A217 to get to Carshalton. J7 and J9 you need to go through too many towns.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi random_fruit
Surely the best way to exactly follow the route that you wish is to use the Itinerary option. You can plan your route on the PC with Google maps, transfer the Itinerary to your GPS device and it all works like dream. You can save different Itineraries on your device and you will then be ready for what ever unexpected traffic chaos lies ahead. I use Itineraries frequently.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just drive the route you want and let the TT recalculate as you go along.

Or have i missed something here?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL good solutions!

1. Use the Motorway entrances and exits POIs (trust him you DO need both!)
2. Use "Avoid part of route"
3. Make a full itinerary, either on the TT itself or using one of the several ways of importing them from Google Earth, Google Maps or MS Autoroute.
4. Just drive the way YOU want and let the TT catch up!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gawd! Andy
I see that you have made nearly 7,000 posts. Do you ever have time to eat, or go to sleep? Will it be champagne all round when you break the 7,000barrier?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I drive a route where I know my device will route me at odds with my preferemce I do one of two things:
  1. If I have no desire to know the exact distance etc then I just drive it!
  2. If I do wish to know then (I use a TomTom primarily) I use the 'avoid part of route' option top deselect roads until it routes me the way I wish to go.
These are at the end of the day intended to guide you in unfamiliar territory and so few have features that allow you to follow an exact route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: