Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New database and settings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New database and settings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLyman wrote:
I have sent in the correct coordinates and direction of travel to update the database so hopefully in the next database we will see if its better...

as you correctly assume, these won't be available until the next release Smile but thanks for taking to time to report them! it's a shame one of the other main systems to use heading data won't be around much longer (mio) - which leaves DS, iGo and copilot 7 so it may be hard to keep the heading data as accurate as we would have liked...

MaFt
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried running the Drive-Smart database along side the Pocketgpsworld one whilst on a trip back from Staines a few days ago as well as on my local trips. Neither seemed to be reporting the same camera threat e.g. gatso, specs, etc. Either the Drive-Smart was alerting or the Pocketgpsworld one was but seldom at the same time or at the same location. So, I have simply reloaded the Pocketgpsworld database on the Drive-Smart and erased the alleged updated Drive-Smart one. I know which one I rather place my trust in these days.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttynurse wrote:
Quote:
Well I tried running the Drive-Smart database along side the Pocketgpsworld one whilst on a trip back from Staines a few days ago as well as on my local trips. Neither seemed to be reporting the same camera threat e.g. gatso, specs, etc. Either the Drive-Smart was alerting or the Pocketgpsworld one was but seldom at the same time or at the same location. So, I have simply reloaded the Pocketgpsworld database on the Drive-Smart and erased the alleged updated Drive-Smart one. I know which one I rather place my trust in these days.

Not that I'm defending the updated Drive-Smart database but in the interest of fairness you never said if either database was giving you false alerts at any time. I like you put my faith in the pocketgpsworld one everytime. In my view it has to be the most upto date of any database, and I'm putting my faith in the follow forum members here, that with their input across the country it should be the best without doubt.

Likewise I would not argue that the Drive-Smart database has not been updated. In my experience of them they are very dedicated people and have never told me anything but the truth. Stands to reason they cannot offer anything like the accuracy that we can through this forum but reading between the lines of your post, there are short comings in the pocketgpsworld one as well.

So to that end I would like to invite all members of the forum to their level best to help keep this database at the forefront of accuracy by providing camera updates including the directional information please. We cannot afford to get complacent about this as many people depend on their license for their livelihood. It is very easy to check on and update if required on the local cameras in our own areas, I'm sure that MaFt or whoever it is who compiles the database would rather get the same information duplicated from many members then not at all, it is the quickest way to get confirmed reports.

I have some ideas on this but as time is getting late I shall post again soon on this topic.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to clarify then. The pocketgpsworld database was alerting fairly accurately as far as I could tell. Count down to many of the cameras may have been a few metres off in one direction or another but that is more likely than not down to the accuracy of my pda and cf gps card. I was using "Speed Sentry" as the GPS programme making this a cobbled together mobile camera detector which to my mind works well. It seemed like there were some minor inaccuracy in the location of the specs camera alerts but I put this down to the fact that these were placed at road works along the route and were no doubt being moved as works progressed. There were some specs cameras near the service station, west of Swindon that were not alerted to but these did not appear to be operational in any event. I guess they were either coming in to force or in the process of being moved. Who ever said that the Pocketgpsworld database was 100% accurate? I don't think the PWGPSW or I ever have.

The DS on the other hand seemed totally erratic. It didn't warn of the specs cameras and seemed to be making up its own mind as to when to shout "WOLF". You obviously have had a lot of communication with the "dedicated people" you refer to but to me they are an unknown entity. I admire your tenacity in defending them however, lets hope they deserve your faith. But from my, albeit brief, trial of the DS updated database I'm sorry if it was a pacemaker, I would definitely be worried for my life. It just didn't seem to correspond to the position of cameras anywhere near as well as the Pocketgpsworld one and to my mind not nearly as well as it did when the forum was still in existence.

The false alerts on my journey failed to inspire any confidence in me that the DS was in any way dependable again using the dedicated database recently posted, whereas I would happily pay double the asking price for the Pocketgpsworld system.

My membership is coming up for renewal so I had better retract that offer Laughing

Last edited by nuttynurse on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that detailed report, nuttynurse. I did not say that either database was a 100% and indeed neither have claimed they are as it is impossible to be 100%.

I agree that the Pocketgpsworld is the best, not that I have tried the other, but it stands to reason it must so because of the sheer size of this groups membership assumimg that members take the effort to update the camera information.

Idea I wonder if it is possible to be able to identify which line of information it is in the downloaded "csv" by the camera ID number? If it is then if this information could be made available members could then update their own downloaded database files with the corrected information such as direction etc (which has already been mentioned about the difficulty in keeping this info going), and could then squirt the updated code into their detectors for testing to ensure that the given data is correct and works OK, before submiting via the form on this forum. This would be so easy for most members to do the cameras in their own locality and then we would all benefit from a more accurate database.

Just my opinion for what it's worth, it might impractible to carry out, who knows, but just seems a good idea to me. Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would far rather users just submitted data to us as normal. The database is here to serve all users and not just DS owners after all.

Any attempt to start a closed DS group who simply share updates between themselves would not be welcomed.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We would far rather users just submitted data to us as normal. The database is here to serve all users and not just DS owners after all.

Any attempt to start a closed DS group who simply share updates between themselves would not be welcomed

Darren I think you have misread or misunderstood the intention. I was under the impression that the information we submitted ALL went into making a database for all supported types and not just DS owners.

I was suggesting that those of us who wanted to, could, if given the tools, enter the required updates to existing known camera sites, those which have in ID already allocated, enter the missing information such as speed, direction etc into the downloaded csv file, install the corrected file into their units and then test it out for accuracy BEFORE submitting the updates via the form for everyone else to share in the next updated release of database.

In no way was I attempting to set something special up for DS owners.

DS units are not the only camera detectors which use a csv file and so there are many other members out there who could access the csv files with no more then a word processor, and can update and test / validate the information, in particular the directional data before submitting the information for inclusion into the main database.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I misinterpreted the intent of your post, it's friday, my sugar levels are low and I see infamy everywhere Laughing
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

That's ok.

While I'm on, in all the posts I've seen on here everyone talks about the database structure as starting of with lon, lat etc, but when trying to locate a camera in the database on line map you have to enter the info in lat, lon format why is that?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why. the defacto format is Lat/Lon for most situations. I'm not overly familiar with the database format so don't know if they all use Lon/Lat or if it is just one or two
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
My apologies, I misinterpreted the intent of your post, it's friday, my sugar levels are low and I see infamy everywhere Laughing

"Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me!"

That's one of my favourite lines that Kenneth Williams has when he plays Caesar in Carry on Cleo. Thumbs Up
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Carry On Cleo, brilliant Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: