Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trip log - reset etc..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip log - reset etc..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Trip log - reset etc.. Reply with quote

I am puzzled by the way we are supposed to use the trip data show under the page menu options. With track off the distance moved remains at zero but the bottom part of the screen shows height changes which do not seem to be reset even if I tell it to.

I would like to be able to tell the machine when to start and when to stop recording track, distance, height etc.. but don't seem to be able to. How can I find out what was the total climb on a walk if it continues recording changes after the walk is over (e.g. on the drive home)?

I am also puzzled about editing a track log which I have so far failed to do as the software appears to freeze. However I accept this may well be another topic and am quite happy to take this issue up later. I only mention it here in case it is related.
Satsync 1.525
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip log is rather buggy...it often insists on telling you about part of a ride you did a week ago even if you reset the Log and track several times. If I want trip data (which I do) I refer to my cyclecomputer which was always the plan any way.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Trip log Reply with quote

Glad to hear it isn't just me but very disappointed to have it confirmed that it is as buggy as it seemed. I didn't buy a Satmap to then have to buy another computer let alone a bike!

Lets hope the next software upgrade comes soon and fixes this.
Satsync 1.525
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it wasn't buggy I'd still prefer to have my ride distance logged by my cycle computer as it's more accurate especially in hilly areas as the GPS doesn't take account of the extra distance ridden along the hypotenuse formed by the hill...only the adjacent. After a ride over a 100+ miles that can add up to several miles of difference.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip log - reset etc.. Reply with quote

[quote="LostMike"]
I would like to be able to tell the machine when to start and when to stop recording track, distance, height etc.. but don't seem to be able to. How can I find out what was the total climb on a walk if it continues recording changes after the walk is over (e.g. on the drive home)?
quote]

I think what you're after is...

At the start of a walk go to the TRIP LOG page, press Start/Stop button until Start shows (indicating you have most recently pressed Stop). Then Reset, confirm Reset Log. The trip log data will now be zeroed but the elevation profile data will not have changed. To get rid of this you need to press the front right key 3 times, going to MAIN MENU, select Routes Menu then Clear Track. Press the front right button 3 times returning to the TRIP LOG page. You will find the elevation profile is now flat. When you're ready, press Start and data logging begins. If you go back to the GPS screen you'll see a fresh snail trail starts up.

At the end of the walk go to the TRIP LOG screen and press Stop, data logging stops but your trip data is frozen on the screen, even when driving home complete with snail trail.

It looks a bit fiddly reading this back, but you very quickly become speedy! I haven't experienced any bugs myself with the trip log since V1.03 came in.

Hope this helps.
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had the same problem with log data still remaining when I reset the log. I have found that converting data to a route and then deleting the route clears any earlier log data. Even then it still retains incorrect elevation data.

Another area I have identified as a problem is that even if you do a complete reset of allthe log and route data and then start logging - and at the end of the route convert the data to a route the resulting route data has less distance/height than the statistics stored in the log...from checking the route using PC based software it seems that the route data is more accurate than the log data...it is a bug that needs fixing.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rog, at the risk of sounding obvious - are you using the trip log Stop/Start button properly and are you also clearing elevation data by using the 'Clear Track' function? (As detailed above.) ie ensuring the initial 'spike' data (which is laid down just as the unit gets lock) is not included in your trip log data.

I only ask because the emphasis of th efirst part of your comment seems to be on just resetting the trip log whereas - in a bug-free world of course - it's also about actively (and successfully!) starting and stopping the trip log and I know how easy this is to overlook.

Regards
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that Satmap couldn't provide more instructions on how to use the thing...lots of stuff seem to be left to the user to find out. Confused
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocam wrote:
Rog, at the risk of sounding obvious - are you using the trip log Stop/Start button properly and are you also clearing elevation data by using the 'Clear Track' function? (As detailed above.) ie ensuring the initial 'spike' data (which is laid down just as the unit gets lock) is not included in your trip log data.

I only ask because the emphasis of th efirst part of your comment seems to be on just resetting the trip log whereas - in a bug-free world of course - it's also about actively (and successfully!) starting and stopping the trip log and I know how easy this is to overlook.

Regards

Yes I believe I am stopping and starting the trip log appropriately...I wait until the unit has a lock then clear everything...and then start logging
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Trip log - reset etc.. Reply with quote

I have tried to follow Ocam's instructions and have found that the trip log data is frozen but only down to the height data. This is what I had before and I would like to freeze the height data as for me this is part of the trip but oddly the Satmap seems to think that height data is something to do with the track even though it shows it on the trip log screen.

Please let me know if you think I have got this wrong but in the meantime I will just hope that this gets "fixed" with the next software upgrade.
Satsync 1.525
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rog62 wrote:
... if you do a complete reset of allthe log and route data and then start logging - and at the end of the route convert the data to a route the resulting route data has less distance/height than the statistics stored in the log...

This is because the unit smooths the converted track, not using the same waypoints that were employed in its creation.

Pleased to hear you froze the trip log data OK. Apparently the next update will include an option to also freeze the height data.

Regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: