Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - This is where it gets complicated............
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

This is where it gets complicated............

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2jag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: This is where it gets complicated............ Reply with quote

right then people, just been sold a garmin nuvi 760 from halfrauds, and left with the words from salesperson ringing in my ears, "oh yes sir this is the latest from Garmin, and does include Traffic.

Guess what, it damn well doesnt, and theres no traffic aeriel in the box either. do i have to go back to halfrauds and tell them they have mis sold an item and try to get my money back, or can i buy a garmin tmc 21 traffic aeriel for it seperately, and is it all really worth it. I'd really like a sat nav with an integrated (meaning no wires trailing all over the flaming windcreen)traffic of some kind or description. I know im a nightmare, but im also absolutely stunned that no one but no one that im aware of has had the intelligence to design a TMC receiver into the case of its product. How hard can it be??? .......... all constructive replies gratefully received of course Smile Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it back. It's much harder to design built-in TMC than you'd expect. The TMC system requires signals at a much higher level than is necessary for voice reception and even with a 1m trailing antenna across the dash, some cars struggle to receive sufficient signal.

Garmin's system even caters for connection to the vehicles external antenna such are the issues.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just been sold a Garmin nuvi 760 from Halfords, and left with the words from salesperson ringing in my ears, "oh yes sir this is the latest from Garmin, and does include Traffic.

Guess what, it damn well doesn't, and theres no traffic Aeriel in the box either.

This actually came up in a previous thread because Halfords seem to be the only retailer who can supply a 760 without the TMC unit! Their website does state it doesn't come with TMC but the price is £100 higher than one that does - See this page - note it states "Traffic Information - No". Not sure if to blame the sales person in Halfords, he might know the product but not realise Halfords are the only retailer not to supply the TMC unit with this model....

The thread is here

Quote:
I'd really like a sat nav with an integrated (meaning no wires trailing all over the flaming windcreen)traffic of some kind or description.

I'd love that! I hate wires. As Darren says the TMC signal in the UK is weak. The "shoestring" works well in other countries who are allowed more powerful signals but not here. I'm currently working on putting a BNC connector on the end of the shoestring and connecting it to a Mini-Scan FM Antenna which is supposed to help improve matters. I've already been working out where the cables are going and how it's all going to come together. Just need the finals parts and to learn to solder..... Laughing
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save yourself some money and buy a TomTom 720 - non-T version. With the impending arrival of the new x30 series prices are plummeting (now typically £175) and even with the non-T version you can still get traffic via GPRS. I also think the 720 does most, if not all, of what the Garmin 760 does.

Yes, TT Traffic does cost £30 per year, there may be some data costs depending upon your phone contract and the info is still of variable quality but reception is far more reliable and there are no trailing wires across your windscreen.

It is also likely that you will be able to upgrade to the new TT HD traffic service in due course (and once proven Laughing )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: