Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatMap + .gpx files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatMap + .gpx files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: SatMap + .gpx files Reply with quote

Quote:
quote from SatMap's website ..

Can it or can't it? .. Anyone done it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Sat Sync software is made available this should be possible, currently you cannot do this, but as you don't have an active 10 is this an issue for you? - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you been for the last 2 months!!?? Laughing

No it doesn't....not yet any way.

If you paste a GPX file from your PC on to the SD card it won't be recognised on the Route Menu of the A10 and if you copy a route you created on the A10 off the SD card on to your PC it's not a GPX file.....so I don't know what's going on.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When the Sat Sync software is made available this should be possible, currently you cannot do this, but as you don't have an active 10 is this an issue for you? - Mike

It doesn't exactly say on the webite that the gpx thing is part of the SatSync solution, its a consideration (for me) if I ever do decide to buy one!!!

Likewise I haven't seen it mentioned that when SatSync is available that it automatically means that some sort of web-based route-planning software is going to appear at the same time.

Quote:
Where have you been for the last 2 months!!??

Eh!! I must say I'm more interested in the Memory Map forum having bought a Road Angel/Mem Map combo but I have a dabble over here in the SatMap department to try and keep my ear to the ground, you know with the two gps's being of similar types.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
It doesn't exactly say on the website that the gpx thing is part of the SatSync solution, its a consideration (for me) if I ever do decide to buy one!!!

Likewise I haven't seen it mentioned that when SatSync is available that it automatically means that some sort of web-based route-planning software is going to appear at the same time.
Very true, but until the software is launched all we can do is wait, speculation as to what it might or might not do is pointless to be honest.

Brian wrote:
having bought a Road Angel/Mem Map combo but I have a dabble over here in the SatMap department to try and keep my ear to the ground, you know with the two gps's being of similar types.
Having used both device types I have to say the old phrase "about as similar as Chalk and Cheese" springs to mind, the mapping data is very good on either device, but you would expect that when provided from OS - Mike
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
about as similar as Chalk and Cheese

Each to their own I suppose, had I not read so much criticism on this forum from people who actually own them .. 'can't get a fix', 'poor battery life', 'batteries drain unless I take them out', 'no PC software', 'water behind the screen cover', 'flickering screen' etc etc I might have bought one. But coming across the RA and already having the Memory Maps I soon realised it can do everything the SatMap can do (except Track up display) and much more. I have MM on both the RA and on a pda, theres little difference except the convenience of less wires, better battery life and no bluetooth to worry about.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought... I've been an owner of PPC's for a few years now and have quite a collection excellent FREE programs, being a very open source platform.. So im wondering as the A10 is CE im assuming it too could be as 'open-sourced' and maybe someone will beat SatMap at their own game by producing their own SatSync? If so this would boost SatMaps profile hugely giving the user a free choice. It's done well to sell Windows PPC!

If I find anything, ill post it here...

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
figgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Satsync Reply with quote

I have been emailed the Sat sync software from Satmap however when I tried to move a gpx file to the Satmap it responed with "file does not appear to be a gpx file" so it may be you will have to find a particular version for it to work.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Satsync Reply with quote

figgis wrote:
I have been emailed the Sat sync software from Satmap however when I tried to move a gpx file to the Satmap it responed with "file does not appear to be a gpx file" so it may be you will have to find a particular version for it to work.

gpx files differ hugely in that they can contain many different types of info. Read through the posts here, there’s been quite a bit said about it.

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: .gpx files Reply with quote

Using Satsync to MOVE (or COPY) .gpx files onto Satmap won't work. You need to "IMPORT" them, which converts them to .map files which appear as routes in the Satmap route menu.

Apparently this only works with Memory Map .gpx files, but using GPSU you can convert non-compliant files (of almost any kind including .mmo) to plain .gpx which can then be converted by Satsync to readable .map file. Hurrah. Very Happy
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: .gpx files Reply with quote

lxm wrote:
Using Satsync to MOVE (or COPY) .gpx files onto Satmap won't work. You need to "IMPORT" them, which converts them to .map files which appear as routes in the Satmap route menu.

Apparently this only works with Memory Map .gpx files, but using GPSU you can convert non-compliant files (of almost any kind including .mmo) to plain .gpx which can then be converted by Satsync to readable .map file. Hurrah. Very Happy

The latest version of SatSync beta also works with at least some other gpx files - I bought the SMC Munros gpx dataset (whic was not created with Memory Map) and the import function in SatSync works just fine.
sjdwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: GPX to MAP on Active 10 Reply with quote

I'm a SatMap novice but have just managed to import a GPX file to my Active 10 using SatSync. I'm a Mac-User so don't have Memory Map etc. so used www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw (free) at home and transfered to the Active 10 on my work PC using SatSync (free).

I plotted a route, saved as a GPX and imported to device, which converts to .map. This free plotter doesn't seem to record altitude but otherwise it's a simple way to plot a road route.

More Mac compatibility in the GPS world please! But mission complete regardless.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there should be more Mac compatibility in the GPS world. Luckily I have a PC as well as a Mac.

About the gpx files, when I spoke to Richard at Satmap he said that gpx files which contain extra info like images etc. won't work properly. Using Notepad on the PC you can look at a gpx file and remove things like that. It seems like a long-winded way about making sure a gpx file will convert properly but worth making a note of when problems arise.
craig_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I've just been trying to export my Satmap route data to my PC. For some reason Memory Map doesn't like it how it is (2004 version) so I've had to use another piece of software (ITNconv) to convert it into a version that memory map does like!

Unfortunately this removes the time stamp data, so speeds and times are lost. Any idea how I import the data to memory map without losing any information?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: