Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - who knows whats what - help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

who knows whats what - help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: who knows whats what - help Reply with quote

My first post to this forum, so please be nice.

Somebody on here who knows whats what, please tell me what system to buy. There are just soooo many choices available at the moment and to be honest if I try to make the decision myself, without any knowledge of how good each bit of equipment is, I will more than likely buy myself a turd.

Thanks in advance from a total new comer to the world of GPS...

Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Welcome Welcome to the forum! ;-)

You’ve asked the $64,000 question. The answer depends on what you want to do with the system. Do you want it for purely SatNav in a vehicle?
Do you want to go hiking with a digital map?
Do you want SatNav just for the UK, or further a field like the rest of Europe or even the USA?

What do you want to spend on the system?
Do you already have a PDA?
Do you want a PDA based system or an all-in-one unit?

My set-up is good for my own needs, although it may not meet your requirements. It’s an iPAQ PDA running TomTom Navigator 2.24 and a wired GPS receiver. I use it solely for vehicle SatNav. There are more wires than a system with a Bluetooth receiver, but on the flip side I’ve found the hardware and software to be very reliable.

Have a look through the forums at past and present threads and also look at the articles on hardware and software. You should pick up a lot of tips. You can also ask more in-depth questions on the forum. Thumbs Up

Regards.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated! Thumbs Up

This system is for in car use in the uk only. I like the idea of a PDA, possibly the IPAQ 2210 and I also like the idea of TOMTOM2 as the add-on postcode software is something I could really use.

I've seen a few advertised on ebay which have caught my eye....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3081755055&category=4668

...but Im not sure if its a good setup or not. I dont know anything about the GPS receivers. PDA looks good though and has had some quite good reviews both on this site and others.

I dont really have a budget as such, but would hope to spend less than, or around £500.

Thanks again.
ChrisR
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

That eBay system looks very good. The iPAQ 2210 is used by a lot of the forum members here. I’ve never handled one, so I can’t comment. It’s a later model than the 3970, which I’m used to.

Be careful about buying from eBay. That seller looks genuine. However you have to read between the lines at what they’re not selling. I only scanned it, but I didn’t see the bit where the seller says the TomTom package is new and that you get the installation CD for TomTom as well!

There are a large number of used iPAQs (especially 3970s and some 5550s) that are for sale on eBay with TomTom. However if you don’t get the CD you are effectively buying a pirated copy. If you have to do a hard reset then you will loose the set-up and then end up having to buy the software again! Evil or Very Mad

I’d recommend that you have a look at some of the retailers in the thread “Retailers to buy from or avoid”. I’ve used www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk (I bought my complete package from them) and can recommend them for advice and service. However you pay your money and make your choice. Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job done - thanks Robert - I think I'll go with ....

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=509

Now, where is my bloody cash card - sure my wife hides it!!

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slightly more but gives you the benefits of Bluetooth and a TomTom Carkit,
http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom-Bluetooth-Navigator-II-with-iPAQ-2210-and-TomTom-Car-Kit.aspx
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

I'm not sure whether that one includes an SD or CF card. The one Chris showed included a 128Mb SD card in the price.

Chris,

What you posted looks OK. A lot of people don't like the CF receivers because they use up a valuable CF slot and also they can have problems with the angle (although shouldn’t be a problem for that one as it's hinged).

Does your car have a heated front screen or special solar glass? Both of those can have a negative effect on a GPS receiver. If you use a CF receiver then it has to be where your PDA is, i.e. normally in the middle of the screen on the dash. If you use a wired receiver then you can move it to the corner of your windscreen and if you had a Bluetooth one then you could position it anywhere within 10 metres to get a signal.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Darren,
I'm not sure whether that one includes an SD or CF card. The one Chris showed included a 128Mb SD card in the price.

Robert, Yes you're quite correct there, no memory card. However, I personally think the BT option is a better solution and the TomTom Carkit is a good system mount.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

I agree with your views that Bluetooth is certainly a better solution than CF, and it’s a neater solution than wired. Smile

It’s just that Chris did say that he’d hope to spend less than £500, which his selection achieved with all of the equipment necessary to navigate straight out of the box. Wink

I currently have a wired TomTom receiver and if I can get to the meet-up on Sunday 28th March 2004, you’ll see how cluttered my vehicle’s dash is with cables for the SatNav and other devices. :D

Whilst I like wired for reliability, I would like to go Bluetooth to reduce the number of wires. I’d also like to get an active Brodit mount as well, to make a much better (neater) installation. So I’m very interested in looking at other people’s vehicles for ideas. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, my number one reason for selecting the compact flash gps was the fact that it wouldnt clutter up the dash. My first choice would have been one of the IPAQ sleeves, but I dont know if they work with TOMTOM2 or not.

The gps is to be used in a new Citroen Berlingo - I dont think they have any special screen tints / coatings and it most certainly isnt heated. I own a dry cleaning business and the van is going to be used mainly by my staff, so I need the setup to be reliable (so as to avoid their excuses of being late!). I read somewhere about the BT gps being slightly unreliable / prone to breakdowns.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your friendly help.

Chris.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackets are not compatible with any of the 19xx, 22xx or 4xxx models. A CF Jacket may be the simplest in your situation but beware. Most Citroen's (in fact most PSA vehciles) have an anti-glare coating that will prevent your solution from receiving a signal unless you use an external antenna or re-rad antenna which rather defeats the object of a simple solution!
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Darren - Ruined my evening, but saved me some money Thumbs Up

I guess then I will have to go for the wired version. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for when checking out whats on the market?

Its a good job I came here before parting with my money!

IPAQ 2210 is a cert though.

Chris
Acropolis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this system last week, i added a 256mb SD card to it as well, and the whole thing cost me £570, and thats everything ya need, and its brilliant, have used it in several cars so far and i cant really fault it.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0886242468.1078441592@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladckjikejhhcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=Product&sku=042514&category_oid=-17456&fm=0&sm=2&tm=3
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice setup. I still have reservations about the BT though. I would much prefer to have a wired system and not have to worry about whether the batteries are going to last the day and if I charged them the evening before. My shop is open every day and the van will be on the road over 12 hours - My other concern is that a battery charge might not last the distance and then it really would be a waste of money.

The IPAQ is nice though :D

Plus it looks like I save myself a few quid by taking the wired route...

Again - thanks Thumbs Up
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a wired GPS as you are going the TomTom route why not get their bundle with the TomTom wired GPS? It's a re-badged Leadtek which is one of the best wired GPS Mice receivers and again it comes with a carkit which allows you to connect the GPS to the carkit cradle and then you can drop in or remove the PocketPC as and when you like quickly and simply.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: