Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jailed for 2 years if using GPS while driving
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jailed for 2 years if using GPS while driving
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Jailed for 2 years if using GPS while driving Reply with quote

I was watching the news and could not believe my eyes. If you are caught using your mobile phone, Satnav or ipod while driving the police can instantly jail you for 2 years. Is this true.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jailed for 2 years if using GPS while driving Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:
Is this true.

Sure it is. Everything you hear on TV is true. Laughing

Seriously though, I heard a similar report on the wireless that said you could get jailed for 2 years for smoking at the wheel.

I haven't researched exactly where all this came from but my gut feeling is that it sounds like a slow news day and someone has spun up a press release into a "News" story.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said that i live in Scotland and seen it on the Scottish news and would imagine that it would be the same all over Great Britain. Has this been mentioned in other countrys also.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rubbish. The original BBC News Item is here and discusses the possibility of a driver being charged with dangerous driving' if prosecutors consider the driving fell far short of what is safe.

Dangerous driving has always carried a maximum term of 2 years imprisonment. Nothing new there. What they failed to mention was that most drivers would still face the standard penalty of a fine and points. of course that wouldn't grab your attention though would it!
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading about it a minute ago and iagree with darren it does grab your attention and i think it is just to frighten people. I am not saying it is ok to use items when driving but to automatically give you 2 years when nobody else has been involved and nobody is hurt is a bit extream.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it looks like the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) is saying that someone using a mobile phone (or smoking a cigarette/twiddling their radio/programming their GPS/eating an apple) while driving could potentially be charged with dangerous driving and this carries a maximum sentence of 2 years in jail.

Realistically, the driver would have to be doing much more than just using a phone or smoking a cigarette while driving to be charged with dangerous driving. Look at these "Police Camera Action" programs. People drive at with no licence/tax/insurance and lead the police on a dangerous chase at double the speed limit then get fined £200 and banned for 2 years. Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to automatically give you 2 years when nobody else has been involved and nobody is hurt is a bit extream.

Please re-read Darren's posting.

The way i see it is if no-one else is in danger then it's points and a fine. If you endanger others, injure or kill and are found guilty of Dangerous Driving, then you could face 2 years, plus any other offences. Same as it's always been.

Basically people still see using a Mobile Phone whilst driving as OK. This is supposed to ram the message home that OK if you are caught then you'll get points and fine, but if you are acting dangerously then the consequences are worse. People know about the points and fine but "forget" about the gravity of a Dangerous Driving conviction, so they continue to phone and drive thinking the worst that'll happen is a slapped wrist even if they have an accident.

I don't see this as a tactic to frighten people, just to remind them of the possible consequences. If it frightens a few into not using their phones, then good.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People drive at with no licence/tax/insurance and lead the police on a dangerous chase at double the speed limit then get fined £200 and banned for 2 years.

...and out in 6 months.... to do it again.... Twisted Evil
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
People drive at with no licence/tax/insurance and lead the police on a dangerous chase at double the speed limit then get fined £200 and banned for 2 years.

...and out in 6 months.... to do it again.... Twisted Evil

what planet you living on 2 years out in 2 weeks more like it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy sorry couldn't resist ,criminals get away with murder
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what planet you living on 2 years out in 2 weeks more like it sorry couldn't resist ,criminals get away with murder

Well murderers do anyway...

[/off topic]

OK back on topic now please... (sorry for my diversion there Embarassed )

Quote:
Seriously though, I heard a similar report on the wireless that said you could get jailed for 2 years for smoking at the wheel.

Like above. The act of smoking won't cause you to get 2 years but if you drove dangerously and the act of fishing round for a cigarette, lighter etc was the cause then i suppose, yes, it could.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav users face jail Reply with quote

The old Road Traffic Act ( As Ammended) hasn't changed much over the years. its just that the CPS are giving examples of what may happen if the driver is distracted and causes an RTC or causes another driver to take such action as to avoid a collision. Built-in sat navs in vehicles have been around for a long time now, does this mean all the car and van makers are going to remove this option for motorists. I don't think so. Simply drive with due care and attention and all will be well.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it again and should add that they did say if you get caught using phone, satnav, ipod etc then you CAN get 2 years imprisonment, end of story. But when you are adjusting your stereo this is ok because you are doing it when you want to and this is less of a destraction and wont cause an accident. Answering a phone call is causing a distraction to you and thats why they CAN give you 2 years.

So why is using your GPS any different from your radio as you are doing it when you want to and is less of a destraction than a mobile phone.

Sorry if i am going on but as i am a Vehicle Technician and been in the motor trade for 13 years i use my sat-nav all day and i think they are taking this too far. I do agree with you should be prosecuted when using a mobile phone but the GPS is to going too far.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tonights BBC News 24 channel, a person emailed to say its just the UK Governments way of gererating more cash from the motorist. In the US of A its OK to use a mobile phone, Satnav, smoke, drink and do almost anything behind the wheel.. But their roads are wider and speed limits lower.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to get tough on the drivers who feel useing the indicator stalk, rear view mirror and keeping to the left are all figments of their imagination.
These are a distraction to most other drivers. Rolling Eyes
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
In the US of A its OK to use a mobile phone, Satnav, smoke, drink and do almost anything behind the wheel.

Depends on the state.

Quote:
But their roads are wider and speed limits lower.

The roads y'all would call "motorways" are less wide (per lane) than German ones. Speed limits on these vary between 55 and 80 mph. Within city limits, speed limits vary roughly between 20 (in front of schools, only during certain times) and 45 mph, with an average of 40 in through streets and 30 in residential neighborhoods.

Also, automated speed cameras are pretty much illegal in all civilized states (i.e. excepting Arizona, California, Colorado, Maryland, Massachusetts, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and the District of Columbia as of November 2007). Red light cameras keep popping up though.

On the other hand, radar detectors are legal to use except in Virginia.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: