Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Emtac BlueTooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Emtac BlueTooth GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, we would love to do nothing more than update reviews constantly, but that then takes up immense amounts of time re-reviewing every product we have ever reviewed, not once, not twice, not three times, but a lot more than that. This then detracts from us reviewing any new products, because it will eat up far too much of our time. Not forgetting that we don't get to keep every product we review, a lot of products get sent back to the manufacturer, so we have one go at reviewing products.

We will be bringing on-line a new review system (providing we can find the time to implement it) between now and Xmas. This will let you rate a product to how important you think it is, and also take into consideration how the market has moved on in the past year and re-rate the product accordingly with the features you are interested in.

The Emtac is still regarded as the best BT GPS because of the signal it brings in, it far exceeds all other BT GPS Receivers in this test alone and makes it top of it's class. Some people may be more interested in data loggers, or a car power charger, but overall performance is what counts at the end of the day, although extra bell's and whistles do count towards this. You can hard-wire any Emtac/Socket/TomTom BT GPS into the car's power supply by using a standard iPAQ charger cable for in-car use.

Please note we cannot commit to dates on the new rating system because we have a lot of products to review before Christmas.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A user reviewing system is definitely a good idea. But my thoughts on this would be off-topic, so I'll post my suggentions and wish-lists to the correct forum. Smile

Nick...
bseabra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to know what software I should buy for my Palm Tungsten T to use it along with the EMTAC bluetooth GPS.

I have been searching on the internet but I have no idea what to get.

Thanks,

Bernardo de Seabra
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernado,

It really depends what you want to do whether it is street routing, topographical, or marine.

I have a Tungsten T2 on loan from Palm at the moment and I am currently running MapSonic street routing software on it, there is also Mapopolis and a few others from the street routing point of veiw.

If you are interested in Topo or Marine, then the Fugawi and Maptech Outdoor Navigator ( review here) may be what you are looking for.

The Emtac does work extreemly well with the Palm as you would expect.
cultivator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Looking forward to review of NEW version! Reply with quote

Great review - just wish you had time to review the latest version. The newer Emtac BTGPS includes a removable, rechargeable 10-hour Lithium-ion battery (so you can carry a spare), and a lower price ($170 US at one site), so addresses the only two listed "cons" of the earlier version.

I don't quite understand how the Emtac BTGPS didn't make it into the Best list... maybe because the new version wasn't out at judging time? Even the older model seemed a contender. Or maybe the ac adapter recall with early models was a consideration? I'm kinda curious what cut it out of the running since there are so many good comments about it and others are sometimes compared to it as a standard of good performance. Am I missing something important?
cultivator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

I gave the wrong price in previous post for the Emtac BTGPS Embarassed - it's $230 US. Still a lot less than previous versions, but not quite as great as $170!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking forward to review of NEW version! Reply with quote

cultivator wrote:
Great review - just wish you had time to review the latest version. The newer Emtac BTGPS includes a removable, rechargeable 10-hour Lithium-ion battery (so you can carry a spare), and a lower price ($170 US at one site), so addresses the only two listed "cons" of the earlier version.

The reason we havent reviewed this is because it doesnt exist yet (according to my Emtac contact).

There is a new BTGPS in development called the SuperCrux, but as far as the European Emtac Marketing people are concerned there is no release date set, no price set, and no product package specified.

We are in constant contact with Emtac and have been promised that we will be the first to know when the new receivers are to be released.

If you know differently please post here.

cultivator wrote:

I don't quite understand how the Emtac BTGPS didn't make it into the Best list... maybe because the new version wasn't out at judging time? Even the older model seemed a contender. Or maybe the ac adapter recall with early models was a consideration? I'm kinda curious what cut it out of the running since there are so many good comments about it and others are sometimes compared to it as a standard of good performance. Am I missing something important?

The Emtac BTGPS didnt make it into the 2003 best list because it was released in 2002. The new receiver has not yet been released yet so obviously couldnt be a contender.
cultivator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking forward to review of NEW version! Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
The reason we havent reviewed this is because it doesnt exist yet (according to my Emtac contact).

There is a new BTGPS in development called the SuperCrux, but as far as the European Emtac Marketing people are concerned there is no release date set, no price set, and no product package specified.

Thanks for the info. I emailed a question to Emtac recently but haven't heard back.

We have been told by Transplant (several times) that the new version called Emtac Bluetooth GPS "Trine" was available for shipment now, and have been given some product information but not detailed spec sheet. Just yesterday I asked again for confirmation that it was in-stock (after seeing your comments and finding out they sent us the current model last week instead of the new one expected). I was told it was in-stock and available for shipment. Now a different person confirms that the new models are not available after all. Confused Very strange. I apologize for the confusion.

MikeB wrote:

The Emtac BTGPS didnt make it into the 2003 best list because it was released in 2002. The new receiver has not yet been released yet so obviously couldnt be a contender.

Of course! I had forgotten that the original BTGPS was released in 2002. I was thinking it was early 2003. argh.
Ojster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: New version of Bluetooth GPS Reply with quote

Hello,

Quote:
I have been informed that there is a new product in development which has a removable battery that could overcome these issues, combining this with the new HP iPAQ 5450 which has better power management may be a much better solution.

Any new information about this new version with removable battery?

Regards,
Peter
Bass95
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I contacted Emtac by email yesterday to be informed on new products and enhancement. I am indeed interested in buying one. I was told that there is a "professional" version of BTGPS with a removable battery and a data logger. They say that this is a product for entreprises and not for consumers.

Bass95
snaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news on an emtac/socket bluetooth gps with removable/replacable battery?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news at all I am afraid to say.

Emtac were not at CeBIT, neither were teir European marketing arm Itochu. I regularly ask the question when the new products are due out, but I am not given any firm answers.

The GPS with the removeable battery has been talked about for over 15 months so I would not hold off buying based on a product that may or may not be released.
snaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it just lasts for 500 charges, then you pitch it and get a new one?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the idea. Bluetooth GPS's are pitched at the same type of disposable market/disposable income that Mobile Phones are pitched at. However, in the early days Emtac did suggest it would accept GPS's back with a battery that had run out and change it (at a cost) and no cost was decided.

I suspect that this won't happen and most companies will expect you after a year or two to have upgraded. I've had a Socket BT GPS for over a year now and battery wise it's still going strong. I haven't charged it every day, but have no complaints with it apart from all the white paint on the top has rubbed off and also the product spec/fcc ID's have rubbed off on the base (as most people would have seen at the Pocket GPS World meetup on Sunday).
snaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: new Emtac Trine is out Reply with quote

check out the Emtac and Transplant Computing websites. The new trine model is out (removable battery and can link to multiple devices i think are the main new features).

anyone got their hands on one of these?

priced at $249 or $279 for WAAS enabled (although i thought you could just enable WAAS yourself with the encluded software - i hope that's true and they didn't mean WAAS-capable - i.e. that the cheaper one doesn't have waas capability)

when can we expect the PocketGPSWorld review?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: