Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V7 - SD Card Backup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V7 - SD Card Backup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: V7 - SD Card Backup Reply with quote

I got my 980T a few days ago and am very pleased with it so far. Navigation is pretty good and TMC works well in my area and has saved me at least one probable long wait on the M6 already. Anyway on to the real subject of the post.

I figure that taking a backup of the original card has got to be a good idea. A new Sandisk Ultra II should be arriving in the next couple of days a so I thought I would seek advice on the best way to do the backup. From what I can see it seems the way to do it is:-

Remove original card from PND, Insert new card in the PND, turn it on and connect to PC.
Use the 'Restore SD card' option from Content Manager.

Anyone got any experience of doing this and possible pitfalls ?

OR
the alternative , put the original card in a card reader and copy everything to the PC. Format the new card ( on the PC ) and copy everything to it.

Anyone tried this , does it work ?

Any advice much appreciated , many thanks in advance.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the correct way of doing it, but I have been able to backup my SD card using a reader to just copy the contents to the HD and then back again to the new SD card.
You can use the Restore SD option, but if you have the full Europe maps it will take a LONG time Wink javascript:emoticon('Wink')
Wink
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk,
thanks for the reply. I do have the full europe maps and I guessed it would take a while going though ActiveSync to the PND. I've got an SD card slot on my laptop so maybe i'll give the direct copy a try first.
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the original SD card in my laptop. Windows doesnt recognise the card as formatted. I guess it will have to be the SD Restore option using Content Manager.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied the original v6 SD when I got it, and the updated v7 files recently, and had no problems at all using the card reader in my laptop using Windows Explorer.

You may not have the option but, when I've had a problem with an SD card I've tried it on a different computer and found that I can read or format it correctly, although I don't understand why Confused. It must be something to do with the PCs configuration.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can depend on the reader. I found the one built into the laptop would always error with an 'incorrect function' message when copying the map. Yet plugging a external reader onto the same laptop meant I could copy the SD card with no problems?
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a sandisk extreme III (min 20mb r/w). Has anyone experienced speed increases when synch'ing with a faster SD card?
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use the original VM SD supplied, but I use a Sandisk Extreme III in my PDA with TT Nav 6 and found that it does help smooth the map scrolling etc.

Whether I needed to go to that extent I don't know, maybe there is a certain point/speed at which a fast card will improve things. Once over that limit though, and the extra speed may not make a negligible difference.
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm hopefully going to borrow a USB card reader tomorrow and give that a try. Will let you know the results.
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk/spikeymikey,

Spot on folks. Tried it in the USB card reader and it copied fine.
Strange isnt it, every other card i've used in my camera has worked fine in the SD slot on the laptop.
When my new card arrives we'll see what the 980T thinks of a card written on my laptop!
I'm away now to blow the files to a DVD for backup.
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to complete the story, new card arrived today and copied everything to it using my laptop SD card slot. Tried it in the 980T and it seemed happy with it. The acid test is tomorrow when I use it in anger.
Again , thanks for all the advice folks.
broc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: bigger SD card? Reply with quote

Looking at Content Manager, I can see that the 2gb SD card that came with my X980-T is pretty full. Does anyone know if I can simply copy the contents of the 2gb card onto a bigger card? This might be useful if I want to use the device as an MP3 player..... and with 4gb cards for £25 and 8gb cards for £45 it looks quite an attractive proposition.

Thanks

Brian
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: bigger SD card? Reply with quote

broc wrote:
Looking at Content Manager, I can see that the 2gb SD card that came with my X980-T is pretty full. Does anyone know if I can simply copy the contents of the 2gb card onto a bigger card? This might be useful if I want to use the device as an MP3 player..... and with 4gb cards for £25 and 8gb cards for £45 it looks quite an attractive proposition.

Thanks

Brian

You should just be able to copy the card but as some people found it can depend on the card reader.
Before buying a larger card be aware that the SD slot only officially support 2Gb Max
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the 2Gb limit is due to it not supporting SDHC ?

You can get 4Gb non SDHC cards but they are hard to find.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianwarrilow wrote:
Do you know if the 2Gb limit is due to it not supporting SDHC ?

You can get 4Gb non SDHC cards but they are hard to find.

Not sure to be honest, I know that officially the SD card standard only supports 2Gb which is why SDHC has been brought out (or maybe just to add extra cost and get people to buy new devices Laughing Out Loud).

If you can find a 4Gb SD card then I'd be interested to hear if it works. The x980t doesn't have much room to load much else on it. I did once ask if there was any way to free space by removing un-used languages. I have no need of the French TTS ect.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: