Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPSMap 60C query - anyone used it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPSMap 60C query - anyone used it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcgus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Garmin GPSMap 60C query - anyone used it? Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm brand new to this forum so forgive any daft questions I might post!

I have been reading up on gps units for a couple of weeks and as I guess is always the case am looking for something that will fulfill several functions: I climb and hillwalk regularly and whilst there is no substitute for a map and compass (and ability to use them!) I am finally coming round to the idea of buying a GPS unit. In addition, I would like to be able to use route mapping in the car for use primarily when I venture into Europe (less need for it in Scotland but it would be handy I guess to have city routing facilities).

So, to the question! Am I being unrealistic in hoping that the new GPSMap 60C might be the answer? Can someone kindly enlighten me as to what additional mapping software I might need for road routing? (I have Anquet GB North for the walking/climbing and presume I can transfer that to any unit I buy?).

Here's hoping for some kind words of wisdom Confused
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well sort of. If you are looking for full colour maps and the ability for routing, I would hold out for the GPSMap76C.

If you are going to use a Garmin handheld GPS then you will need to use MapSource data CD's, and likewise for Magellan you would need MapSend data CD's, you won't be able to use any other mapping software or maps on the GPS itself.

It really depends on your budget, but if you like the look of Anquet maps and Ordnance Survey maps then you would be better off going for a cheap PDA like a HP iPAQ 2210 or 1940 with a Bluetooth GPS and using Memory-Map/Fugawi for Ordnance Survey maps, Anquet for other locations you are happy with and something like TomTom Navigator or CoPilot for Street Routing software. The problem here is, this all mounts up in price!
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mcgus n dave

I am in the same arena

I wanna PDA and a handheld GPS

can I share some reflections?

Mapsend = worth a body swerve. The M1 renames as E13 and M62 renamed as E20. I know - I didn't believe it either.

My SporTrak will talk to Mapsend but Mapsend won't talk to SporTrak Color. Hey-ho? here we go?

That does not automatically imply alternatives will be better.

I hope as in really, really hope that GPS 60 series newbies from Garmin do the business ...
chtan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to it's review :-http://gpsinformation.net/gps60c/g60review.html
I've already booked my, hopefully will get it in a week time.
Personally, i don't think PDA+GPS is a good solution as there are times that you don't or impossible to bring along your bulky PDA, say hiking/boating. And i don't think you're going to connect you PDA with the GPS all the while, only once in a blue moon. So, handheld is a more practical solution. Yes, you may think that you're going to use it in your car only, but after you acquired one you will sure find it a very usefull device to have along everywhere you go(well sort of), so you may face a problem if you use the PDA+GPS solution. Anyway just my personal opinion.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB wrote:
Mapsend = worth a body swerve. The M1 renames as E13 and M62 renamed as E20. I know - I didn't believe it either.

Which Garmin MapSource product are you using, and which version ?
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapsend not Mapsource Dave

I have used the Magellan product and look forward to using Garmin product. (60CS I hope) soon

Apologies if the above contribution ended up in the wrong tray

I was, of course, referring to Magellan Mapsend

BBB Confused
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that's why, it's in a Garmin forum Confused

That would probably explain it, MapSource is pretty good, I haven't had the pleasure (or not the pleasure) of using MapSend yet.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modesty and dignity probably limit me from saying any more?
Embarassed
Tree
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Is this the right version for the Garmin GPSMAP 60C..... Reply with quote

Hi

Is this the right version for the Garmin GPSMAP 60C.....

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=1999&category_id=90V

As I want MapSource City Select Europe v6 for use with the Garmin GPSMAP 60C for UK roads.....
Question
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moderator - I hope this does not tread on any toes.

Quite a lot of issues are dealt with in some newsgroups

Have a try at

sci.geo.satellite-nav

for more technical aspects there is always

sci.geo.cartography

The second newsgroup is well technical However, both in conjunction with this forum may help

The awsome technicalities involved in GPS have to be seen to be believed. Satellites, atomic clocks, parallel processing, which surface slab of the planet is being looked at, grid refs (you'll be surprised how many people thing that because small scall maps have square references (lats/lons) yet lats/lons taper together -

OK I admit - it can get heavy and than there are algorithms too

lovely stuff!

TBHL
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see a problem with your post at all - there's always times other forums are more appropriate.

I drop into sci.geo.satellite-nav from time to time, as does at least one other regular here. It's always a question of how much time I have, though.

David
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the level of sophistication is so easily overlooked

There was a very interesting discussion along the lines of GPS output and that seems to tie up projections and grids - very interesting!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: