Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed limit correction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed limit correction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's dragging this one back up but I'm getting the road speed limits incorrect on my new 920T. It has application v7.221 and "W & C Europe" map 710.1576. My Go 'classic' has application 7.161 and "UK & IE plus mr of W Europe "map 660.1219 and so far I've found these are correct for the areas in which I travel.

It seems like a step backwards as the "new" map is going back in age by a year or so. Is it the UK map on my old unit is more UK based and correct for here rather than the general Western & Central Europe map on my 920T?

According to TT website, I've got the latest map for my 920 so can't do anything about it until the new maps come out or do I need to buy the respective UK & IE map to get the "local" data correct?

Secondly, in various adverts, I was sure I'd seen the standard 3D map screen with buildings having elevations so you could get an idea where things were along roads. Has this been junked or is it something I need to setup on my unit?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps seem to be getting worse in every way, but there's absolutely nothing you can do to correct the limits yourself. You can report them via mapshare, but unless things change radically they will be ignored (none of the corrections I sent to the v705 maps were included on the base v710 map (and weren't even provided as mapshare corrections!!!)

I wouldn't bother trying the UK only map, if it is the same version number it is compiled from the same crappy data.

Finally, the 3d"ish" view, is only available where they have bothered to put it in.
Try running a demo route around central London and you should see the "raised" buildings.

I work in Wandsworth and ONLY the local Arndale centre is deemed worthy of the 3d treatment. As far as I'm concerned, it's a pointless gimmick.

(Can you tell I'm p***ed off with TT today? Laughing )
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Maps seem to be getting worse in every way.

(Can you tell I'm p***ed off with TT today? Laughing )

I know what you mean - my Classic seemed to be bulletproof and things have gone downhill over the years - trying to please the customer and deadlines rather than right at release?

I managed to use my 30-day free map update last night and instead of "upgrading," it seems to have just overwritten all sorts so I'm going to have to try and resurrect my favourites, itineries etc.

For the "Show POI only on route" option, it not seems to not bother discriminating the camera direction and warns for them on both sides of the road so you're getting double the amounts of warnings. I'm sure the Classic would only give you them in the direction of travel...

It's now a case of being warned of POI anywhere in a circle diameter you specify or only on the road you're on (no matter which way you're going.)

Is it possible to turn off the warnings for the TT safety cameras as they're a PITA at times?

Another one on a bad TT/hair day... Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of questions, hopefully I can answer a few.

Since I wrote that, Ive got v715 mapping and I have to say there are quite a lot more 3D buildings (in London, anyway).

The "warn only when on route" feature still does ignore SOME cameras on the opposite carriageway, so is worth using in my opinion, but it seems the software has got progressively more sensitive to any "bleed through" from one carriageway to the other, such as nearby gaps in the central reservation.
It never could discriminate out cameras on the other side of SINGLE carriageway roads.

There are ways to get your favourites and itineraries back. Have a look at the FAQs in the TomTom section, and if you're still in need of help ask again.

Finally, you can turn off the warnings from TomTom's own camera database in the "Plus Services" / "TT Safety Cameras" menu.
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Thanks for the reply - I've got the favourites / itineraries back by restoring my older mapsettings.cfg file from a backup before the upgrade Smile

I've got a subdireectory in the map folder for defunct / not used POI files so I copied the TT camera and radar files into it but I haven't been out for a run yet to try it. I thought I'd disabled them previously in the Plus settings but it must be one of TT's default settings that they popped up again.

For the 3D buildings, as I've seen a flicker of a screen on start-up with my local area in 3D, I thought it was everywhere and I'd got a config setting wrong but I suppose it's only as they get mapped (allegedly "important" bits first Sad Wink )

I'll have a look at a few things when I've next got it connected to the pc but I don't do it that often as I get hacked off having to reset all the warning sounds each time. I thought it may be a TT Home issue but it even does it just saying 'yes' to connect to the pc Crying or Very sad

Is it possible to add mp3 files direct to the SD card (if this is where they're stored in the directory tree) via a card reader without having to connect the go to it's cradle?

Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the TT camera warnngs DO have a tendency to switch themselves back on after connecting to the PC.

3D buildings are still patchy. Try a demo route in central London and you should see them.

The resetting of the warning preferences is a pain, but it hasn't been happening to me so often recently, I thought it was latest software had fixed it, but someone else said it still happened to him occasionally.

Yes, you can add mp3 files to the SD card any way you like. They go in the "mp3" folder.
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan's semi-backfired - I just found out that the SD 'card' is in fact a plastic blank to fill the hole up - not a memory card at all so I need to get one of these at some point. Is there a maximum that the 920 can handle and are Sandisk ones OK as I've not had problems with these in other things?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x20 units are OK with SDHC type cards, I have an 8GB capacity card running in my 720, go for a decent spec card, high speed etc. Avoid the e-bay "specials" they are often not what they claim to be and you then find the device won't boot up correctly with the card inserted.
Stick to reputable makes Sandisk or Kingston, the card I use is made by Peak and speed rated of class 6 - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you don't NEED 8GB, I'd stick to 4GB or smaller. There are a few "issues" with using 8GB cards, like having to write to them using a special SDHC card reader rather then the Go itself.
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4Gb should do me fine as I was hoping to get a new camera which also takes that size so I feel a bulk order coming up Smile

I'm only thinking of mp3 files on the TT as I'm using hire cars on and off over the next few months and they tend to have base model stereos in which don't play mp3 cds. The rest of the crowd don't want to listen to my 80's collection of stuff that's still on ordinary cd...

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: