Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - StreetPilot C510 won't boot up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

StreetPilot C510 won't boot up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: StreetPilot C510 won't boot up Reply with quote

Having recently downloaded the latest firmware, I now find that my unit starts the normal boot up process, but then closes down automatically once the "where to" /"view Map" screen appears.

I've checked the battery strength which is OK.

I've also downloaded again the update, with no improvement.

I have also tried a master reset, without success.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Sadly the unit is 15 months old, and out of warranty, so any repair needed by Garmin will cost.

Any ideas?

Tazz
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: StreetPilot C510 won't boot up Reply with quote

You could try installing some earlier firmware.

See http://gpsinformation.org/perry/streetpilot/c5x0/.

I recommend V5.4, as this is the last version that the TTS hack works with!

If nothing else, downgrading firmware on the C510 tends to cause a 'proper' Master-Reset to occur. You'll lose all your favourites etc. Also, make sure you have the 25digit map unlock code to hand (and present in GMAPPROM.UNL), because you'll get "Can't unlock Maps" otherwise.

I have no idea if this will actually cure your problem. Sad
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, but no joy Sad

In fact now I get a series of screens, including the usual Garmin intro screen before it asks me to choose a locale. However before I get the chance the unit closes down? Angry

This is looking pretty terminal and I'm probably now in the market for a new satnav. However after only 16 months use from the Garbage I think I'll be going for a diferent manufacturer.

I'll try a call to Garmin support on Monday to see if they're feeling helpful. Wink

Tazz
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However after only 16 months use from the Garbage I think I'll be going for a diferent manufacturer.

Is that because all Garmin products behave this way? Or do other manufacturers make products that never go wrong?
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
However after only 16 months use from the Garbage I think I'll be going for a diferent manufacturer.

Is that because all Garmin products behave this way? Or do other manufacturers make products that never go wrong?

Well for me this is my 3rd Garmin streetpilot c510. The first didn't work out of the box, was replaced by Halfords on day of purchase. The Traffic programme packed up after a month on the second one, again back to Halfords.

But because this current unit is now out of warranty I expect Garmin to quote a significant repair bill ( well significant when compared to a new unit).

So you may understand my reluctance to go with Garmin again.

Tazz
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now been advised by Garmin that their only solution is a repair for £158.39 I won't be taking them up on their offer. Particularly when new C510s can be bought for less than that.

However, my experience of total unit failure at 15 months old will keep me away from Garmin for my next Satnav.

One thing I have noticed whilst viewing various retailers' websites are the large number of factory refurbished Streetpilot C510s there are for sale. One can't help wonder whether this glut of these units suggest there may be a problem with this model?

Oh well I'm off to look for a TomTom or Navman.

Tazz
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz070299 wrote:
Having now been advised by Garmin that their only solution is a repair for £158.39 I won't be taking them up on their offer.
Well that's understandable.

I can't help thinking tho...since your opening sentence was "Having recently downloaded the latest firmware", that this is software-induced and therefore possibly fixable.

Did you try a CHKDSK of the file system? Will it stay booted in Mass-storage mode?

What happens if you hold your thumb on the time, to enter diagnostics? Is it stable in there? Does it even stay up long enough to get in there? In this mode, you could try powering it from the USB, in case there's issues with the rear power connector. The diagnostics screen will tell you about the state of the battery and the charging source.

How far back did you go firmware-wise? I'm wondering if we can induce it to do one of it's full-blown resets?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery?
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the suggestions.
Answering your points in turn

Did you try a CHKDSK of the file system? No, so I will try that and see what it says.

Will it stay booted in Mass-storage mode? If you mean receptive to downloads, visible from the PC, yes it will no problem. But it won't stay in GPS mode. Here it gets to to the PIN code page,or if I'm really lucky the Where to opening menu then crashes.

What happens if you hold your thumb on the time, to enter diagnostics?
Having asked if I want lose all the personal data etc it re-boots and goes to a screen I had never previously seen where it asks to choose my locale, with default being USA, and scroll left gives you UK. But more often than not the unit closes down around this point, although it isn't related any choice being made as just leaving alos induces close down.

Is it stable in there? Never gets to the diagnostics screen.

Does it even stay up long enough to get in there? Nope.

In this mode, you could try powering it from the USB, in case there's issues with the rear power connector. In Mass Storage mode it remains perfectly stable. But if I try to start the unit, whilst connected to the USB mode it performs the same shut down sequence.

How far back did you go firmware-wise? I went back to 2.4, in steps without success.
I'm wondering if we can induce it to do one of it's full-blown resets?
How does that work?
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Yes, but no change in behaviour.[/quote]

Regards

Tazz
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz070299 wrote:
Having asked if I want lose all the personal data etc it re-boots and goes to a screen I had never previously seen where it asks to choose my locale, with default being USA, and scroll left gives you UK.

Ok - that's as a big a Reset as I've ever managed.

Maybe this is data related?

You could try a full backup/restore. Actually, it would be interesting to know how it behaves when it contains no data at all....i.e. Backup / Format / Reboot.

I just tried this with my C510. You get the "No detailed maps found..." message and it's not overly useful, but it should boot up and show your position on a blank background.

If it won't do that, then....I'm probably out of ideas. Sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this on Garmin site. Probably not relevant (no indication of affected model etc) but just in case ...

""Question: Why Does My Device Power Off Immediately After It Powers On?
Answer:

This issue has been corrected in a software update. This update can be found by clicking here ('Updates & Downloads'). Download this update to a blank SD card. The following are the steps to installing this update from the SD card to the device:

1. With the device powered off, insert the SD card
2. Press and Hold the 'Up' on the direction pad and the 'Power' button at the same time
3. Release the 'Power' button as the unit powers on
4. Continue to hold the 'Up' on the direction pad until the device displays "Software Loading"
5. When the unit restarts, this issue should be corrected.

Last modified on: 06/12/2007""
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
You could try a full backup/restore. Actually, it would be interesting to know how it behaves when it contains no data at all....i.e. Backup / Format / Reboot.

If it won't do that, then....I'm probably out of ideas. Sad

Thanks for your persistent help here. I tried a re-format and re-boot and have had some success.

It stopped shutting down, but I had lost the TMC facility, along with the icon on the menu screen which takes you to local POIs.

I reloaded the firmware, so far so good, and then reloaded the speed camera software (choosing the single file version).

I thought I now had a nearly functioning unit, until I took it for a test drive, when it became apparent that I had no voice commands (some might think a good thing) and no audible warning prompts.

Might now try the site mentioned in the above posting.
Tazz
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz070299 wrote:
it became apparent that I had no voice commands (some might think a good thing) and no audible warning prompts.
Hopefully Webupdater will get you the Voice files back. BTW, you can always switch off the GPS and use the "Simulate Route" feature to test that it's working.

Thinking it about - this would be an ideal moment to apply the Text-to-Speech hack Very Happy
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz - had you done anything else to the unit recently? e.g. downloaded some POI files from this website? Added any more mp3s to the unit (I don't know if the unit supports mp3s, so this may be irrelevant)?

Do you have an SD card in it? Again, have you added or changed any files on that recently?

I've seen units (including my Nuvi) lock up like this before, and it's been related to the data on the device / SD card, which takes a little while to read, hence the delay. Alternatively, the map file itself could be corrupt, which would cause a similar problem at a similar point in time.

To be honest, losing TMC could have been caused by the firmware update - give it time, and it may come back - the full reset will cause it to rebuild all the radio stations, so it has to do a lot more searching before it can learn the sensible station frequencies to try for your area.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Just saw this on Garmin site. Probably not relevant (no indication of affected model etc) but just in case ...

""Question: Why Does My Device Power Off Immediately After It Powers On?
Answer:

This issue has been corrected in a software update. This update can be found by clicking here ('Updates & Downloads'). Download this update to a blank SD card. The following are the steps to installing this update from the SD card to the device:

1. With the device powered off, insert the SD card
2. Press and Hold the 'Up' on the direction pad and the 'Power' button at the same time
3. Release the 'Power' button as the unit powers on
4. Continue to hold the 'Up' on the direction pad until the device displays "Software Loading"
5. When the unit restarts, this issue should be corrected.

Last modified on: 06/12/2007""

Have you got a link to this, please?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is on the Garmin site under Support/Search Support - I was searching on 'unlock' but no doubt it will come up under other search terms. In the current list returned for unlock, 92 items, it is found on 'Page 81 to 90 of 92'. From the reference to a direction pad, it is presumably not referring to a C510, but I was wondering if the firmware might possibly be common, or at least related.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: