Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 660FM & Nokia N73
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 660FM & Nokia N73

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 660FM & Nokia N73 Reply with quote

I am considering going on to a mobile phone contract and like the look of the Nokia N73.

I was wondering if the N73 will work fully with my Nuvi 660FM. I want to be able to use my phonebook and text messages through the Nuvi.

The shop was unable to prove the phone is fully compatible and was wondering if anyone here is using this ccombination and what the results are.

Many Thanks
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, most of the Nokia / Symbian smartphones (of which the N73 is one) don't play 100% with the Nuvi range.

You won't be able to sync the phonebook / Contacts on every connection, but there is often a facility to copy the whole of the Contacts from the phone across to the Nuvi on an ad hoc basis.

As for text messages, you may well be able to send them (I've never tried) but you may find any received SMSes never appear on the Nuvi, so certainly don't bank on this feature working.

Garmin's N73 Compatibility page would seem to agree with me on most points, and states SMS are not supported at all.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing is correct.

I own the 6680, N72 and N80 Symbian phones.

Out of the box all will make and take calls handsfree with the 660 I have

I needed to add s/w (from Nokia) to get the contacts to stay synchronised on the N72 and N80. You can manually copy the phone list to the nuvi out of the box - but when you change things on your phone you need to have this little app running on your phone to maintain synch.

None of them do SMS. My older 6310 (non Symbian) does SMS and it's a joy to have your SMS messages read out to you! At least those that don't have "txt spk" in them.

Looking at the GARMIN BT Phone Status shows my earliest Symbian phone (6680) giving me battery status, network supplier etc.

The latest (N80) just shows that the N80 is connected - no other info.

GARMIN really need to re-evaluate their BT connectivity. I suspect its down to poor support for the OBEX BT profile.
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should of added that my current phone, Nokia 6230i, works well with my Nuvi with all the bluetooth functions working well.

From the sound of it I might as well stick with my current phone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: