Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random Reply with quote

Hi all
Bought Tomtom one V3 on the 28th from comet, £139.99 colllection, with free case. Backed up memory and downloaded latest camera data base from pocketgps world. Driven 500 miles since then, with charger connected on long trips and without charger for short trips.

The V3 keeps turning itself off and then rebooting at the most annoying time. Sometimes it remembers the destination when it reboots and other times it loses the destination all together. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the cause of the rebooting, time in use or use of certain functions that bring this about.

Anyone else had this problem with the TT one V3 yet?

The other thing 'playing up' is the 'your location' indicator,distance to turning and voice directions all seem to be out of sink with each other. The voice direction either tells me to turn too late, after passing the turning, both at slow and faster speeds, or telling me to turn but the map indication has not been reached yet. It seems to over estimate the distance of turnings by double the distance. Don't remember having these problems with TT5 mobile.

Speed indicator on the V3 seems to be 5mph slower than my car speedo. Many things could be blamed for this, like tyre size etc. How trust worthy are the TT speed readings?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried resetting the device yet? - it is worth a try otherwise I would say it is faulty.
The speedo in your car will generally read more than the speed reading your TomTom offers, the GPS derived speed is more accurate when travelling straight and level - Mike
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I have to admit that I didn't think of resetting it. I'll give it a go. I'm waiting on a reply from tomtom support, so I'll keep you informed of their reply. Thanks
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reset the V3, but it still reboots at random. This time it forgets the current destination and starts to take you to a previous destination. Luckily I noticed the directions were taking me the wrong way, before it took me too far from my original destination route. Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it back and demand another one, as the device is not only faulty but it fails to perform as advertised (Unfit for the purpose intended) - don't be fobbed off by sales staff and if the manager gives you a hard time threaten (promise is a better term but it sounds slightly less threatening) with trading standards - if you do this and get nowhere follow through with your promise Wink - Mike
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom support reply:-

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

If there is any faults with the device i suggest to take it back to the store and get a refund or a replcement.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

All I have to do now, is hope Comet feel the same way about returns as TT Laughing !
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I picked up one yesterday from PC world and am having the same problems, so will take it back over the weekend and get a new one.
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I contacted TT first, as Comet wanted the incident number and rang TT to check before they would give replacement. If this replacement does the same then I'll ask for my money back, after getting another incident number from TT of course. Rolling Eyes

Fingers crossed!
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the replacement has started rebooting at random, but this time it froze first before it rebooted, which is new. The unit also has an annouying buzz that appears at random, but only from turning on til turning off. Laughing

Comet won't do a refund until next week as TT support don't work weekends Rolling Eyes The fact that I have a response from TT saying to get a refund doesn't count! I can really see what people mean about Comets lack of interest once they have your money! Evil or Very Mad

Don't know whether to try the 520 or go for another brand, like Garmin?
computergenie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi69 wrote:
Well, the replacement has started rebooting at random, but this time it froze first before it rebooted, which is new. The unit also has an annouying buzz that appears at random, but only from turning on til turning off. Laughing

Comet won't do a refund until next week as TT support don't work weekends Rolling Eyes The fact that I have a response from TT saying to get a refund doesn't count! I can really see what people mean about Comets lack of interest once they have your money! Evil or Very Mad

Don't know whether to try the 520 or go for another brand, like Garmin?

Hi,

As another member stated "It is Unfit for its purpose".

"Goods bought from a shop must be fit for the purpose for which they were bought, match any description that is given and be of satisfactory quality. That means that goods should be what you reasonably expect them to be considering the price you paid. If these requirements are not met then you may have a legal right to reject them and get your money back. If you cannot get back to the shop for some days you should telephone and let the seller know that you have a problem with the goods and that you want to reject them and get a refund.

If you have kept an item for several weeks without properly checking it out and then discover a problem or fault, you may have difficulty in returning it and getting a refund because you would have had what is called ‘reasonable’ time to use the goods. There is no legal definition of what a ‘reasonable’ time is."

As you not long bought the GPS system you would be entiteled to a full refund or replacement as the above states.

You do not have to wait for TomTom to say you can have a refund etc it is down to the shop and if they refuse a refund until TomTom says you can have one then the are at breach of contract and should you state this to them.

If i was you i would go there tomorrow and go to this link and print it and take with you argue your right and beleive me they will refund without a quibble.

I have had several instances of buying items and the same thing happens but i make sure i get what i want especially when the company are at fault and fobbing you off

Advice Guide.

Link edited for clarity - Oldboy
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.... Very informative. Very Happy
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random Reply with quote

kiwi69 wrote:
Hi all
Bought Tomtom one V3 on the 28th from comet, £139.99 colllection, with free case. Backed up memory and downloaded latest camera data base from pocketgps world. Driven 500 miles since then, with charger connected on long trips and without charger for short trips.

The V3 keeps turning itself off and then rebooting at the most annoying time. Sometimes it remembers the destination when it reboots and other times it loses the destination all together. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the cause of the rebooting, time in use or use of certain functions that bring this about.

Mt Ton Tom Europe V3 has started rebooting at random too! rebooted 3 times on a trip to duxford and back- about 90 miles-doesn't seem too clever
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here.

Got a TT at the weekend.

Yesterday it hung up half way through speaking directions, and rebooted (with those drums arghhh), then froze again on my next journey.

This morning it was looking ok until, when I stopped at a junction and tapped the screen it hung up yet again.

The journeys were only 30 minutes or so, which does not inspire confidence for longer journeys.

So do we have a couple of faulty units or is there a more general problem.

Do these things have a error log anywhere?
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked TomTom support if this was just my bad luck to get two 3rd edition units with the same fault or was it a 3rd edition fault? I mean it's only been out since 28th last month. Rolling Eyes They ignored the question, but did say ...

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

If the unit is faulty you are able to take it back for a refund or replacement if the device is faulty. It is stated in UK law that customer may take a device back under 28 days since purchase if it is not working.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I eventually got my refund from Comet this afternoon Very Happy Yipee!
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke to TT support and asked were there reports of V3 problems and they said "not that we are aware of" and that I should return mine for replacement. I then mentioned the forums and they again stated they were not aware of any problems.....

Out of interest what are you going to get as a replacement?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: