Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Did I destroy my VM?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I destroy my VM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Did I destroy my VM? Reply with quote

I'll be migrating soon to TT6 (free with my new Palm Treo 680), in the meantime I decided to see if VM4.2 would work in the new phone. Plugged in the SD card, went through the install and it quite happily started up. Since I don't yet have a bluetooth GPS receiver (and the serial one I use with my current setup wont work with the new phone), I used it demo mode and it worked just fine.

I the put the SD card back in my current setup (Palm Tungsten E, Kirrio cradle) and as soon as VM was started the Palm froze (needed to do a soft reset to get going again). I uninstalled and reinstalled, same result. I did a hard reset on the Palm, taking it back to factory defaults, still the same.

It's almost like using it in another device has somehow changed the SD card in such away that it is no longer compatible. Anyone have any ideas?
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If putting the SD card into a different device has changed it in some way (new settings for various system parameters, for example) to make it work on the new device, then why can't it do the same thing when you put it back in the orginal ? From its point of view, your original device is another new one, so why can't it adapt again ? Or maybe this is too simple a way of looking at it .....

Anyway, you can always restore from your SD backup. You do have a backup, don't you ?
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup? No.

Anyway I just picked up a cheap bluetooth GPS and it seems to work fine with my phone. I see if VM will fire up with it tonight.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well initially things looked good, I selected the BT GPS in VM and it worked just fine on a short test journey. However after a hour or so I found the phone was powered down, started it up again. After a couple of minutes it was powered down again. Using the "display last error" option it turns out that VM was causing an operating system exception and killing the phone. So uninstalled VM and reset the phone. Now back to normal.

Back to the original Tungsten E, I did a full factory reset and tried to install VM again. Now it complains that there are missing files when trying to start VM. I might try to install an older version (2.5 or 3.x) to see if I can get it going again.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to wrap this up. I put the 4.2 CD into the laptop and the installer asked me what to do. I selected "Repair" and it started doing its thing. I had to do 2 syncs with the PDA during this process. Started VM and it works just fine now, used it on today journey to work without any problems.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally bidding fairwell to ViaMichelin, I'm now using TomTom 6 on my Palm Treo 680 and it works well. VM worked well for that last 3 years or so but it's time to move on.

I'll probably put the ViaMichelin kit (4.2 + Palm Tungsten E + Kirrio cradle) on Ebay soon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: