Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8Gb SD card in Nuvi 610T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8Gb SD card in Nuvi 610T
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: 8Gb SD card in Nuvi 610T Reply with quote

Hi,

I see several people have used 4Gb SD cards in their Nuvi's but has anyone tried an 8Gb card and if so did it work? I have all my records in 8Gb worth of MP3 files and it would be nice to load them all on to one card if possible.

Cheers,
Paul
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few problems: Firstly, an 8Gb card is likely to be an SDHC card, and not all Nuvis support SDHC.

Secondly, 8Gb of songs is likely to break the 1000 song limit.

Finally, you may find that amount of data slows down the UI on the Nuvi.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
All valid points. Thanks for the advice. I dodn't realise there was a 1000 song limit. What happens of you go over it? Does the unit lock?

Cheers,
Paul
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that's an interesting question. As far as Garmin are concerned, it will only display and play the first 1000 songs it finds. However, my Nuvi locks up on bootup if I go over about two hundred and something songs. I think this is being caused by another problem, and I haven't tried the latest firmwares to see if it's been fixed.

If it does lock up, simply reboot without the SD card in place.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else managed to get more than 200 ish songs on then? Anyone tested the 1000 song limit to see?

I have tried 250 songs and this was okay. Didn't seem to affect the operation of the unit.

Cheers
Paul
nikconnor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: $GB Sd HC card Nuvi 610t Reply with quote

Mine is working OK with a 4GB SDHC card.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encoraging as SDHC seems hit and miss. What Nuvi do you have? How many songs on the card?

I have just tested with 540 songs on a 2Gb "normal" card and that seems fine. No discenrable lag on the maps and the bluetooth phone all seems to be okay.

Cheers,
Paul
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

A bit more news on this. I purchased a 4Gb (low speed) SD card and put 950 songs on it. When in the Nuvi some of the songs and their directories became corrupted and some did not. when I talked to Garmin they advised that while there is a theoretical 1000 song limit you should stick to less than 850 songs and see if that works. also I should set the tab on the SD card to read only so the nuvi cannot corrupt the files on the card.

I said - and what you could do Garmin is to fix the crappy firmware so it does corrupt the SD card!!! He did not have an answer for that unfortunately.

If the limit is 1000 then 999 songs should work damn it. do they not QA test their software. Having said that I cannot find anywhere that actually states 1000 in any Garmin literature.

cheers,
Paul
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1000 limit isn't listed on the website, except in the change history for the firmwares when it was increased from 500 to 1000.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was using the Nuvi as the card reader when copying the files and I have a suspicion that it is this that is causing the corruption. I have prdered a card reader off eBay and will see if that helps as I noticed corruption even if I only copied a few hundred tracks. I also set the card to read only just after the copy phase (after switching the Nuvi off) and the corruption was still there so it must have either been the copy phase of the switching off phase.

Cheers,
Paul
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you stop the nuvi device from Windows before removing the USB cable or switching the nuvi off. Although the copy may report it has finished, the card writer may still be finishing off things. This is also true when using a card reader on your PC - especially when using large memory cards. I have had to wait anything upto 20 secs to safely stop my 4GB cards when moving lots of data to them. A lot of this is to do with Windows internals - but it's better to be safe than sorry.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, The card reader arrived today and I had great hopes. Guess what. I wrote 850 songs to the card with the new reader. All seemed well and it only took 26 minutes insted of the 2.5 hours it took when doing it on the Nuvi.

I removed the card after some delay to be sure and then flipped the protection tab over to secure it. I put it back into the card reader and all the files were present and correct.

I then put the card (still write protected) into the Nuvi and booted up. The songs appeared and I could play some of them although many albums were missing.

I put the card back into the card reader and several files and folders were corrupted and all garbled.

My God - what do you have to do to get the Nuvi to work properly. It's just not good enough.

Rant Time..................... Optional Read....................No Real Value to anyone except my blood pressure.

If I bought a car that advertised that it took 15 gallons of petrol and found later that I could only get 1 gallon in otherwise it pi$$ed petrol all over the floor then this would be a fault and would be recified by the manufacturer. If you are Garmin they seem to think they are doing you a favour if anyting works as one would reasonably expect.

Bluetooth is flakey at best, If I had purchased a dedicated BT kit and it was this bad I would have taken it back for a refund.

Routing via the back roads is less than convenient to say the least. What's the point of satnav if you need to spend 10 minutes at the start of each journey checking that the route is even a bit sensible. And then, if it is not, go through hoops to try and coerce the unit to go the way you want complements of the "one via point" feature (thanks Garmin - maybe you could rename it to "via pointless" at the next firmware regression - oops I mean upgrade!!).

A TMC system that is so flakey you may as well just look at your paper road atlas and stick a pin in it to guess where the traffic delays are.

And now - the straw that broke the camels back - after buying and FM transmitter +£15 (because the Nuvi unit was purposely crippled for the UK market even though it was at the time my unit was manufacured not illegal in the UK to have an FM transmitter) and extra £25 SD card (that I have absolutely no other need for) and a +£6 for a reader because the Nuvi cant seem to behave as a normal mass storage device and ........... after spending nearly a week re-ripping all my CD's to MP3 because mine were all WMA (because Garmin feel everyone still uses MP3 and don't realise WMA and AAC are used nowadays by probably 75%+ of the population) and after spending the best part of a day rewiring my car so it all worked together properly (or not in the case of TMC) what do I get. nada (apart from £46 down the pan and a month of my life wasted).

No that's not true actually - I'll tell you what I get - a bag of $hite. These things should work damn it. Its a £300+ bit of kit not a £1.99 Ebay special from Hong Kong for God's sake.

Buyer feedback to Garmin (aka Ebay): Z------------- AVOID AVOID AVOID

rant over........

Enjoy your weekend.
I love you all (apart from those bu££ers at Gar.................

Bed Time..........

Paul
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of satnav!!!!
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that officially Garmin nuvi units only support a 2GB SD card. Others may work but are not guaranteed.

I would be interested to find out where people have got the impression larger cards are supported.
City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...from garmin website. I stand corrected.

Question: What is the largest Secure Digital (SD) card that my nuvi can accept?

Answer:
Below is a list of units and their corresponding maximum card size:

NUVI MODEL MAX SD CARD
2xx Series 2GB
350 2GB
360 and 370 4GB
6xx Series 4GB

Last modified on: 06/11/2007

City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: