Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - EGNOS Status Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

EGNOS Status Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: EGNOS Status Update Reply with quote

AFAIK, once the receiver is put into a WAAS state, then it should be looking to receive WAAS correctional information. If you think about the Holux, Leadtek or any mouse, if you leave it sat their powered up in the car, but not connected to the Pocket PC, as soon as you plug it into the Pocket PC, TomTom for instance will show a fix within less than a second. I believe this will be the same in receiving WAAS/EGNOS signals, at the end of the day it's the receiver that's doing the work, not the software, but I cannot confirm this at present as I still haven't been able to receive a WAAS/EGNOS fix on the Garmin myself, although Mike has been lucky to receive quite a few.

I suspect you won't in-fact know that you have a WAAS correctional fix unless the software can pull this out of the NMEA string and then display it somewhere on screen, so it will be difficult to tell using standard mapping software if you have a WAAS fix or not.

Perhaps this is one feature that can be added to TTNav, Navman SmartST Pro, CoPilot and Destinator as time goes by.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: EGNOS Status Update Reply with quote

Thanks for that article, it has helped a lot, but I still have one question

I understand that the GPS receiver has to be capable of receiving the EGNOS signal and has to be put into that mode. Having done that with a software utility, does that then mean that any GPS software package that you then use with the GPS receiver now has the enhanced positional accuracy even if it does not display the fact that it is using EGNOS?

My Holux GM210 supermouse GPS has EGNOS and can be put into that mode and with the SiRFdemo software I have seen it working and picking up the EGNOS signal from the Geosat that transmits (ID as PRN120), it also displays the positional accuracy of the other normal GPS satellites that it is using for the fix, so all looks good, howvever I have no way of knowing that it is working when I use TomTom Navigator because in NMEA mode it does not report the EGNOS status or even the fact that it is seeing PRN120.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: