Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New C510T questions...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New C510T questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: New C510T questions... Reply with quote

I've just got a new C510T - the BT Shop / Dabs thing for £99. And I've still got my i3.

The new voice on the i3 has been well discussed as being on the quiet side, and it seems the same for the voice on my C510. It needs to be nearly on full (perhaps all but one bars on the volume) to be heard clearly at motorway speeds - and I'm not talking about in a noisy car with the radio on loud (Radio 4 doesn't suit being listened to loudly ;-)).

I suspect I know the answer to this already, but is there anything that can be done about this?

Also, it's got the TMC unit (GTM21) bundled with it, with the free lifetime subscription. I found getting a signal a bit tricky, locally, so updated the GTM firmware using webupdater. On my morning commute it picked up a signal after a little bit, and it was currently set to auto for the provider. Is that correct, or should it be the TM TMC provider I found on it when I'd arrived? (I'm guessing it should probably be the trafficmaster one, as that's who the subscription is with?)

It has Garmin's safety / speed cameras loaded out of the box, just seems to show them on the map - does it provide overspeed warnings as the i3 does with pocketgpsworld cameras loaded?

One other curio I noted, out of the box it has firmware version 5.80 on, which appears to be a later version than that offered for download.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New C510T questions... Reply with quote

I did some measurements of the C510's output (sad, I know!): it's about 650mW (rms) per channel, and hits 94dBspl (1KHz tone, unit 25cm from a reflective surface, measured 1 metre from front). At that volume, you can feel the air moving from the speakers. 94dB is uncomfortably loud. (In the same test, a Nüvi 310 managed a measly 80dBspl).

So - the unit itself has more than enough ooomph for the job (or at least, mine has!)

That said, there are some more tweaks you can make:

For the standard voice files, you can use Ash10's Voice Utility, to dismantle the .vpm to individual .wav files, and then use SOX to increase the volume of each. Obviously, you then use Ash10's utility to reassembly the .vpm.

If you apply the TTS hack, you can increase the volume of those voice files using a hex editor. (Search for "volume" within them and amend the two digits.)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: New C510T questions... Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
So - the unit itself has more than enough ooomph for the job (or at least, mine has!)

I don't doubt the unit has the oomph - but the voice output was very quiet the first time I tried it today. Compared with my i3 - which appears to have the same voice - on my i3 setting the volume to 4 (out of 5) is perfectly adequate. On the previous / original voice, 4 was a bit on the loud side. Although this could vary on the i3, depending on whether just running with batteries or ciggy adapter power.

PhilHornby wrote:
That said, there are some more tweaks you can make:

For the standard voice files, you can use Ash10's Voice Utility (see the 'stickies' in this forum), to dismantle the .vpm to individual .wav files, and then use SOX to increase the volume of each. Obviously, you then use Ash10's utility to reassembly the .vpm.

Done that before with the i3 voice files (edited some Simpsons sounds in ;-)). Do you know whether the i3 voice file is compatibile, because I still have the original voice file which was louder.

PhilHornby wrote:
If you apply the TTS hack, you can increase the volume of those voice files using a hex editor. (Search for "volume" within them and amend the two digits.)

Not sure I'll bother with the TTS hack - I had read about it previously - nice work there!

Although I can see some benefit in some road names actually being spoken, in general, I suspect I'll be ambivalent. Like that funny thing you can do with the car icon on the C510 - I've travelled with it set as some sort of car, and it irritated me, so now it's back to an arrow.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: