Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 660 updated firmware v3.8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 660 updated firmware v3.8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 660 updated firmware v3.8 Reply with quote

Garmin have updated both the 660 firmware to v3.80 and the bluetooth firmware to v2.8.

660 firmware updated to 'increase screen sensitivity'. Cant feel any difference though.

Bluetooth firmware updated using webupdater but had no notes.
No operational differences yet found.

Good Luck all.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 660 updated firmware v3.8 Reply with quote

PhilGarmin wrote:
Garmin have updated both the 660 firmware to v3.80 and the bluetooth firmware to v2.8.

660 firmware updated to 'increase screen sensitivity'. Cant feel any difference though.

Bluetooth firmware updated using webupdater but had no notes.
No operational differences yet found.

Good Luck all.

I have so far found the same - no obvious difference.

If anything the sensitivity on the screen seems worse as i'm tapping a couple of times rather than once as before! Confused
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 660 updated firmware v3.8 Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
If anything the sensitivity on the screen seems worse as i'm tapping a couple of times rather than once as before! Confused

I appear to have lost the ability to use the end of a pen as a stylus. Nothing happens and I now have to use my finger Sad

The warning for a couple of speed cameras I passed yesterday never sounded. As I haven't checked all the 660's settings I cannot yet blame it on the firmware upgrade.
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 660 updated firmware v3.8 Reply with quote

redsquirrel wrote:
GJF wrote:

I appear to have lost the ability to use the end of a pen as a stylus. Nothing happens and I now have to use my finger Sad

Perhaps the update was to ensure there were less chances of mis-keying? I notice you need to use deliberate finger pressure now. This may stop me mis-keying the GARMIN-lock number and having to switch off and on - which I see as a good thing.
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 660 updated firmware v3.8 Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:
GJF wrote:

Perhaps the update was to ensure there were less chances of mis-keying? I notice you need to use deliberate finger pressure now. This may stop me mis-keying the GARMIN-lock number and having to switch off and on - which I see as a good thing.

Hmm... Hope so. The touch screen on mine is pretty pants really.. I get annoyed at the number of times the 'U' key comes up when I press something else... Often something on the otherside of the screen, so I know it's not just my cack handedness.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fault to me - give Garmin a call.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

Yeah... Garmin Support... An OxyMoron I think... I'd expect their support for this to be about as good as their support for the GTM-21. i.e. nonexistent.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My screen is now too "unsensitive" since this update. I have called garmin to complain but I don't expect a reply anytime soon.

As for the bluetooth update - the only thing it seems to have done is messed up the call logs. They used to reflect only called received/made/miised from the Nuvi. Now it seems to pick up the lists from the phone but on my phopne the list bears no resemblence to the list presented on the Nuvi.

What a major leap forward from Garmin. Keep up the good work.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not noticed that change. It's still appears to record the calls made and received via the nuvi - but I will keep my eye on it Police

I did have to reload the contacts list from my older Nokia phone (6680) after the BT upgrade - as I did when I first paired it. My newer N72 does it automatically at each connection, due to a Symbian app that needs to run on it to get functionality with the Parrot chip set in the nuvi.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie wrote:
Quote:
I get annoyed at the number of times the 'U' key comes up when I press something else...

I get this when i add postcodes and address's to my favorites, it often mistakes a letter for "U" even when well away from the position of U. Confused

Since the update I have to admit on two favorites added, this hasn't happened yet. :D

philpugh wrote:
Quote:
I notice you need to use deliberate finger pressure now.

That's how i see it.
alexberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the Bluetooth Firmware update has resolved issues with the Samsung D900 - it now seems to pair up and work OK.

Hooray!

Alex.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than deliberate finger pressure for me. Sometimes the unit moves on the mount I have to press so hard. Also, using the finger to drag the map around is much harder now.

Pants if you ask me. Preferred it the way it was.
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJSmith wrote:
More than deliberate finger pressure for me. Sometimes the unit moves on the mount I have to press so hard. Also, using the finger to drag the map around is much harder now.

Makes you wonder if the programmers actually use one of these things on a day-to-day basis, or only at their desk. The UI is crap for a driver (No space for speed, yet space for a bloody button bringing up the MP3 player!), no traffic except via multiple button pushes, traffic sorted by distance from a random endpoint, rather than distance from your position and now impossible to use touch screen...
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJSmith wrote:

I'm now getting used to this and am beginning to prefer it.
I do have a Brodit mount so not having a problem with the mount moving, but adding an address or favorite is a lot easier than before.

After the initial setup i prefer not to fiddle with the unit after i have set off unless i'm forced to, so keep my "fingers" to the steering wheel.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: