Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing USB Mini Port on Streetpilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing USB Mini Port on Streetpilot i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hierge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Replacing USB Mini Port on Streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

Someone plugged in another USB Mini cord with a plug designed for a cell phone and not for the Streetpilot because the supplied cord kept slipping out of the cigarette lighter with alarming frequency. Unfortunately, when the unit was on the floor it got stepped on and bent. It will no longer power up and the USB port needs to be replaced.

Can anyone advise me here on how difficult a repair job this is and steps involved?

Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, this question was asked a while ago, there are some instructions detailing how to take the device apart with pictures See Here - you will need a very fine tipped soldering iron to change the surface mounted socket, although it is not impossible - Mike
hierge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum, this question was asked a while ago, there are some instructions detailing how to take the device apart with pictures See Here - you will need a very fine tipped soldering iron to change the surface mounted socket, although it is not impossible - Mike

Thank you kindly for your reply Mike. I am not sure what type of soldering iron would be appropriate here. A sharp pencil type is not expensive and it may be worth a try. Perhaps I can have it repaired locally for less than it would cost to buy another unit off of Ebay. It's a shame to waste this unit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the device appart and have a good look at the damaged socket, it might even be worth taking a trip to a local Maplins store with the defective Garmin and let them advise on a suitable iron, soldering to SMT mounted components is not that easy, but it can be done, a very fine tip with a decent amount of heat power behind it is best.

You need to be able to get the local area hot enough to melt solder and flow without damaging the adjacent components, often the mistake is made to use a soldering iron with too smaller wattage, this results in excessive heating to the surrounding PCB - Mike
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW , Garmin wanted about £75 to repair my neighbours. It was I that asked the question a while back. They felt that the £75 would be better spent towards a newer unit like a Nuvi. They still use it, but only on batteries and cannot update the maps.

The soldering skill required was well out of my league. :-)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They still use it, but only on batteries and cannot update the maps.

If the maps are on a card and they have a TF card reader then they can.
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is a card in theirs, and I have the relevant card adapter and reader. Perhaps I can update the maps for them in that case.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you can. When you update the maps remove the card (or better still buy a new card) and then plug it into the PC with the adapter. Then when the software asks where you want the maps sent to, choose the card instead of the i3. Once complete put the card into the i3. Job done.
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *thought* that you had to have the original card?, as any other cards would not work?

PaulB2005 wrote:
Then you can. When you update the maps remove the card (or better still buy a new card) and then plug it into the PC with the adapter. Then when the software asks where you want the maps sent to, choose the card instead of the i3. Once complete put the card into the i3. Job done.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: