Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backing Up the Aldi/Medion PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing Up the Aldi/Medion PDA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Backing Up the Aldi/Medion PDA Reply with quote

Anyone know if it's possible to do a complete back up of the Medion PDA so that in the event of a catastrophic loss of data, I can restore it?

I've looked at the backup facility on the PDA, but that will only allow me to back up to a Storage Card. Surely the HDD of my desktop would be a better place.

Question Question
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem with the storage card? Backup will be much, much, (much, much) slower when you try to squeeze it through the ActiveSync line...

Do a backup to storage card, then take the storage card to a card reader and copy the backup file to your hard disk (if you want to keep it there) or, better yet, burn it onto a CD.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: backup etc... Reply with quote

Point taken, but I don't have a spare card, and only a compact flash reader etc. etc. Problems problems.

As for speed, I might just try and back it up over the IrDA link to my mobile phone, and modem it on from there...OK, I'm joking!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an easy fix... Go to Dixons and get yourself another card and a card reader...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dick_Spanner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a problem twice when I have had to do a "hard" reset, thus losing everything. This was a real anal pain as you can imagine because it meant redoing all of my personal setting's then reloading the Navigation software, POIWarner (and resetting the subscribed downloads with poihandler.com etc).

Anyway, after the first time I had a poke about (ooer missus) in MS ActiveSynch and under tools you have a backup\restore option where you can do a full backup into a file on your PC. When my Medion crashed for the second time I successfully restored the whole lot.

The strange thing was that when it crashed the second time I was using it and navigating my home from a cheese and wine evening in Reading when it just locked solid, I did a soft reset and it brought up the picture of the young lady and got no further, I couldn't even switch it off.

Mind you I had a fantastic Camembert au Calvadòs and an even better Beaufort d'Alpage that evening which more than made up for the Medion going loco.
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, Mr Spanner, or may I call you Dick? A fellow cheeseophile? Might I suggest, the next time your Medion goes awry that you try a fantastic Italian number; Caciotta di Urbino. A splendid Tuscan offering, often made using some cows milk and flavoured with truffles or garlic. The cheeses are small (1kg) and eaten young (about 1 month). Among the best is Caciotta Toscana which is often eaten with fresh broad beans. They are generally soft and nutty to taste. Cacio Fiore is a Caciotta tinted with saffron.

As you no doubt know, the term Caciotta is used to describe any artisan cheese made in the traditional way and the tastes vary.

They don't stock it at Aldi though...
Dick_Spanner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is alway's a rare pleasure to converse with someone who know's thier cheese. A good Cacciota is a real treat and because of the nature of the flavour, and even a poor one remain's fairly innofensive. Have you ever tried any of the Brebis des Pyrénées? These are also made from sheep's milk (sometimes mixed with cows milk) and come from the French Aquitaine region near Spain. They tend to be hard or at least semi-hard but well worth a try. Ossau-Iraty-Brebis Pyrénées and Matocq are my 2 favourites.

I nearly forgot, if you use the Activesynch backup program and do need to restore from it, you must synchronise as a guest and ensure your PDA is set in the correct country/time zone otherwise it won't work.
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPLENDID!

A rare treat indeed.

I'll try the Activesynch backup a little later, if that fails, I take Lutz's suggestion and get myself to the nearest Dixons and sort myself out with a new card reader and an array of cards, though ebuyer might be a better bet as it will leave more pennies in the pocket with which to buy some of those superb cheeses you suggest.

Might I be so bold as to offer one of my favourites, it's a little mass produced, but the Tasmanian Westhaven is a splendid goat's cheese. Quite often i find goat's cheese taste more of the goat and less of the the fromage, but this is is the highspeed broadband connection of the cheese world. The factory uses 150,000 litres of goats milk annually, drawn from herds in the Tamar Valley. The Chevre (fresh, unripened cheese) is cut into 150g logs and is available plain, peppered or ash-coated.
They also make a semi firm gouda and a fetta, wrapped in a vine leaf. Westhaven Cigalons are round flat cheeses which have been matured in olive oil flavoured with herbs and spices.

I understand that Fortnum's have it when they can get some.

Do you know if there is an upper size limit to the MMC card the Medion will accept? And what's the difference between that and an SD card?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major differences between MMC (Multimedia Card) and SD
(Secure Digital Card) are:

SD is an improvement of MMC, released two years later. MMC transfer rate is 16 mbit/s whereas SD transfer rate is 80 mbit/s. This means that SD cards 'should' have superior performance in R/W access than MMC, especially with devices that support the SD transfer rate (USB2 readers, recent PDAs, recent digicams).

SD use an electrostatic protected policarbonate which is more durable than a standard MMC casing. SD cards also have a special circuit that allows copy protection for OEM distributed products (e.g. software, music, videos etc) which MMC lacks.

SD readers are backward compatible, i.e. SD readers can read SD and MMC cards. MMC readers CANNOT read SD cards.

Last but not least, SD cards have a lock switch on the side that prevents data to be written or deleted. Oh and the Medion can use either SD or MMC Smile Sorry for the lengthy reply but you did ask Wink
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend doing a full backup via active sync, then setting the incremental backup to occur everytime you connect, as this will ensure you have the most up to date copy of your data.

However I have experianced problems restoring from an active sync backup after a hard reset. So I would also recommend either getting an additional SD card, or reusing one of the supplied ones, in order to use for backups using the utility supplied on PDA. Its quicker than active sync for doing a full backup, but you might not remember to do it as regularly.

I do a backup to the card before installing any new software incase of screw ups, renaming the previous one each time.

Cheers
---Dave
Dick_Spanner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Druck, what problem's did you have when trying to restore the Activesynch backup? Is the PDA utility of which you spoke called "Ebackup"?

The largest SD card I have seen for sale is 512Mb, I don't know if they are available any bigger than that (though that should be big enough I guess).

I must confess I'm not familiar with Westhaven cheese but I will keep an eye out for it, as I am sure that you are aware there is alway's a real buzz to be had from introducing a particularly good specimen into one's circle. On the subject of goats milk cheeses, have you ever come across Norwegian Gammelost? Definitley one for those with a strong stomach. The name means 'old cheese' and it smells like it! It is made by maturing the cheese in a very damp atmosphere, then working the mould growth on the outside back into the cheese. It is blue veined and very strong tasting if you can get it past your nose. I love serving this to unsuspecting visitors, telling them how expensive it is and then watching them try to politely eat it without being physically sick.
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a moment there I feared we had run off topic a little...I'll keep an eye (nose?) out for that pungent cheese, next time I am at the delicatessen.

If you wish to serve an amusing cheese to unsuspecting visitors might I suggest the superbly named 'Stinking Bishop'? It is a soft washed rind cheese from Charles Martell in Gloucestershire, it is washed in a pear perry made from the Stinking Bishop variety of pear. It has a pungent smell and is strong tasting. If the name doesn't raise a titter, the piquance will certainly stimulate a lively discussion!

Is it just me and Mr Spanner that appreciate the variety of the World's cheeses? Has anyone else any suggestions?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really wondering why nobody brought up Wendsleydale yet.

Anyhow, the problem with restore is Outlook. The message IDs get confused, and you may end up deleting all your desktop mails if you are not careful. After a restore, I delete the partnership and recreate it, making sure to synchronize down only.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick_Spanner wrote:
Druck, what problem's did you have when trying to restore the Activesynch backup? Is the PDA utility of which you spoke called "Ebackup"?

That was using the Active Sync backup, the ebackup and the iPAQ eqivelents have always worked fine.

I've had a couple of problems where Active Sync failed to recognise it as a valid backup image, after a hard reset. However it well have been something I'd done previously during software development, on our dodgy collection of iPAQ's Toshiba's and Cassiopeia's.

Quote:
The largest SD card I have seen for sale is 512Mb, I don't know if they are available any bigger than that (though that should be big enough I guess).

512MB's have just become available, but are around 3x the price of 256MB, which are the best cost per MB at the moment, being only 50% more than 128MB. Just bought another two 256MB's for £55 each from Dabs to backup the iPAQ's.

Cheese

Not really done much development on cheese myself.

Cheers
---Dave
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely recommend Aldis Red Leicester. You can cut fine slivers of 1" x 1.25". These pieces of cheese fit the SD slot admirably and slot in with a satisfying click. Don't try this with the Cheshire - I find it far too crumbly. It doesn't work as well at all. Laughing

Drew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: