Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin B2 & PDA Connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin B2 & PDA Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damian_27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Origin B2 & PDA Connection Reply with quote

Hi All,

Anyone heard anymore about when Origin will be issuing the new cradle with GPS output. I believe that they are still on for March but has a final date been provided yet?

Also, what would be the best cradle for the PDA. The Carcomm cradle looks like it could provide a clean installation (i.e. connect the cables behind the dashboard). Does the Carcomm cradle allow for it to be hard wired into the car's electricity supply? I like the look of the Brodit cradle (with sync plug) but the number of cables/connections may make it difficult to get a tidy installation in my Focus.

Any views?

I'm also thinking about the Co-Pilot Live 4 software to support the above - it seem's to have the best reviews but if anyone knows anymore...

Thanks for your help.

Damian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any news from Origin regards the release of the PDA cable but I'll ask them for confirmation.

Either the Carcomm or Brodit cradle will work but in this case the Carcom is mor suitable as it has both power and RS232 inputs provided. It can be easily hardwired, you simply cut off the cigarette lighter plug and use the provided fuse assembly as the voltage converter is built into the cradel itself specifically for this purpose Thumbs Up
Damian_27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Origin GPS Cradle Delayed Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the reply - it looks as though Origin are now saying another 6 months before the GPS cradle is out.

Pretty bit dissapointing really.

Any recommendations on a CF card type GPS reciever?

Damian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bad news, it was one of the huge plus points of the unit but by the time the PDA cable appears the b2 will likely have been bettered by another model.

As for CF I would recommend you browse our reviews, the Globalsat BC-307 is a good cheap unit, often available on eBay at very cheap prices.
Damian_27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the reply - I've read the reviews and looked at some of the deals (hopefully) on Ebay. The CF recievers seem pretty 'much of a muchness'.

I have an Ipaq 2210 and will probably use the sat nav mainly in the car - the Globalsat seems a decent option but has anyone got any other recommendations. I'd rather pay and get the best option but I can't seem to work out what is best!

All views greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Damian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you have a 2210 then the best solution has to be Bluetooth. Small portable and perfect in-car as it allows you to position it in the optimum location for satellite recption. CF receivers are much more limiting in this respect.
mixer25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Origin B2 - LET US DOWN AGAIN! Reply with quote

Yes the B2 will not have a cradle out for another 6 months from March, so this is now going to be August time, they took a descision to do this recently.

I don't know why they have done this, as so many people want this cradle.

All I can think of is that the B2 simply is not compatible with a PDA in the way it is made, and they have been selling the B2 on the back of this extra bonus.

I would have bought the road angel now as they have sorted it out and got a cable almost from day one!

I now have to go out and spend a further £100 now on a reciever unit.

NOT HAPPY!

Maybe Origin do have a B3 to come out next year with PDA ready cable?

who knows?

I think this will leave a lot of us disapointed.
Damian_27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixer,

Yeah, I agree and was going to let Origin know what I thought but what is the benefit!

I don't really want to spend alot to get another GPS unit but can't really decide what to do. Like the idea of a CF unit given that you can pretty much 'plug and play'. There are a few models to choose but I can't work out what is best.

What are you looking to purchase (CF, Bluetooth, etc) given the Origin dissapointment.

Thanks,

Damian
mixer25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien

This is what I have decided...

Scrap the idea of using the B2 as it may never happen and you could miss out for way too long on the GPS.

Cheapest solution and best I found is this:

Tomtom Bespoke Cradle £40 - it fits the best, has loads of mounting options and looks great!

Tomtom receiver on its own to add to this cradle as the tomtom car cradle will only take its own receivers - £90

This totals £130 for total GPS solution, all you need is a copy of Tomtom2 to get it going (copy cost me £50)...

If you need more details leave me a private message with your email address and I can give you details of ebay listing with this on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: