Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anybody actually using TMC data on their PDAs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody actually using TMC data on their PDAs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
I looked at VDO etc, but was advised that the traffic info that comes over the radio (I THINK it's called RDS-TMC) was too inaccurate and slow, somewhat like the news flashes that interrupt on a normal car radio (also using RDS?).

Although it appears to be a little unreliable, in principle RDS-TMC is not subject to all of the problems of the radio broadcasts (where they regularly repeat the same information until someone rings them to correct it - for example on Friday they listed a Lorry had lost it's roof at J21-22 on the M1, and there was also some small accident at J24, whereas the Lorry was actually at J23A and causing major delays).

Quote:
Navigon & Alturion seem to use Traffic-i

They both use RDS-TMC
Quote:
which I think uses the TrafficMaster data

Traffic-i does use Trafficmaster data, Navigon and Alturion do not
Quote:
which I am told is much more up-to-the-minute than TMC

Agreed - it's based on realtime information, not information collected, collated and then entered into the system

Quote:
I THNK (seem to be doing a lot of this) that TrafficMaster / traffic-i

Neither know where you are at all, and hence you select your general area using the interface provided.(*)
Quote:
hence why they can use the O2 XDAII.

True

Quote:
PDA + GPRS mobile phone (but you can't make / receive a call at teh same time)

Not true - GPRS will suspend (and hence stop updating the traffic data) whilst you are on a call, but will resume at the end of the call.

Quote:
How much of the above is correct?
No comment Smile

Steve
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies guys and girls for being a bit slow in pushing to get my upgrade from Navigon. It is still very busy for me as we are launching some new services.
Anyway as part of the upgrade I had to return my current hardware so I could get the TMC hardware at a very reduced cost...I didn't realise that, so initially I place the order more than a month ago without realising I had to give up my current system...Ah well, I don't have an urgent need for SatNav in the next two/three weeks, so guess what I have got the form and box in front off me to complete the transaction.

So I should have it shortly.

In the mean time I noticed that a new version is announced which supports GPS/TMC via bluetooth!!! Might be of interest for some people, and brings a 3d interface to Navigon...

BTW Can anyone confirm whether RDS-TMC is still freely transmitted in the UK?

I'll update you soon....
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the new version does look interesting, and I hope that as a result of visiting CeBit that PocketGPSWorld has arranged a review copy. Combining TMC and Bluetooth into a single device does seem to make the 'perfect' solution - a no wires but full featured solution.

As for the UK, although either the hardware manufacturer (eg VDO Dayton) or the software manufacturer (or even the mapping data company) need to have a license to use the data, my understanding is that there are not any direct end user charging plans for the UK. Certainly Navigon BMN had screen shots of London TMC data, so I believe it works fine.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing, I found a copy of a paper last night that performed a review of TMC services in Europe. It did state that ITIS Holdings operate a commercial model, though instead of providing a conditional access model they do it through a proprietary location table. This I think confirms what you are saying. I.e. if the map provider has got a license, thus translation table to the location table than the software should be able to provide it.
I have send a confirmation question to both ITIS and Navigon whether this is indeed the case. Hope they respond soon as my hardware is packaged up for the upgrade...I really want the TMC solution as GPRS is no good when going across the borders, i.e. very expensive...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I've discovered Navigon indicated at CeBit that support for the UK was not in place, due to not having a license (which I don't understand, given the screen shots they've had on their website before now). It was in a comment about not supporting France (where an additional license fee is definitely payable), so I'm not if it's a misunderstanding or not.

As such, you might well find TMC isn't working, although as the mapping company do have a license, I'm not sure why it won't work.

Be interested to see what happens when it arrives.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to the original question, I can now say YES! And it is brilliant! Forget GPRS and the like, RDS-TMC rules....Full test review will be available after Easter...
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the Beds/Flitwick mafia... add Pulloxhill...

Well, I got my grips on a copy (fortunately not mine!) of alturion professional 6 and wooooow its crap!

I mean it really has got a mountain of ideas that incredibly, would crumble in front of the simplest function. 8O
This software is potentially the best i came accross so far. You can elaborate maps and routes from your pc! Fully customizable, fav routes, audios, fancy poi icons tcm, transfer partial maps or only routes and loads more!

Dunno were to begin listing the problems.... cant recall all of them.
Here s some... If I try to upload a significantly large map, it will return errors at halfway (yes I do have space), map browsing on the ppc and the pc its weird/grottesque. Sluggish. The interface lacks of intuitiveness or probably the developers never wanted anyone else to use it except for them.
Compared to the "half legged" tt 3 nav its a waste of space. Maps are better (doesn t seem to have maps db corruptions; missing/missplaced) and does find addresses. POI are weird to; for istant if you want to find the nearest bank/ATM you can select the brand (good! I thought) but you can only select some weirdly named banks from god knows where!
ahhh what a lough!
Alturion developers too pretentious? definetely but hey, they r funny Laughing

The bottom line is that usability in this software is a dramatic issue. Functionality an horror one.

Good luck with your TCM, I wont have any chance to try it out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: