Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anybody actually using TMC data on their PDAs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody actually using TMC data on their PDAs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd agree in principle about the differences between iTIS and TM, however, at this stage, there is no way to get hold of TM data and link that into a PDA-based SatNav solution (although there are ways of getting TM data to mobile phones / PDAs, it's not possible to directly link, which is a nice integration in my opinion)
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

That is an interesting comparison indeed. I can't wait to get my package through from Navigon as I also have a TrafficMaster in my car. In my review I will look thoroughly into the comparison of the two systems.
Based upon your snapshot I will not yet put my Trafficmaster on eBay ;-) Probably the combination of the two will give me more insight to make a personal decision on whether to take an alternative root. But that is assumptions at this stage.

BTW Looks like we are looking at the same area. I live in Whipsnade and I always get caught up in the South-Beds area on the A5 from Dunstable. Though Navigon never fancies routing me around Dunstable going south on the A5, exit and go through Edlesborough instead and enter Whipsnade up the Chilterns past the Zoo. I am interested to see whether the MBEE version will take that alternative route to avoid the A5.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
BTW Looks like we are looking at the same area. I live in Whipsnade and I always get caught up in the South-Beds area on the A5 from Dunstable. Though Navigon never fancies routing me around Dunstable going south on the A5, exit and go through Edlesborough instead and enter Whipsnade up the Chilterns past the Zoo. I am interested to see whether the MBEE version will take that alternative route to avoid the A5.

Looks like even more of us are in the same area - I'm only a little bit further East, and still in Bedfordshire (near Henlow). I occasionally use the A5 north of you, but my main local areas of interest will be the M1, A1, and M25, although some of the other roads (A505, A507) which are also covered by RDS-TMC are of interest.

I'm interested to see a number of things in the review:
- Does Navigon divert closed road junctions
- Does Navigon divert bad traffic (eg "Heavy Traffic"), but still use the normal route for "Congestion" - ie is it actually comparing the delay on the chosen route with the delay on the new route, or simply selecting the clear route (by nature of the road not being covered by RDS-TMC)
- Does the additional cost seem worthwhile?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's beginning to look like the Bedfordshire mafia are in this thread - I'm actually in Flitwick, and travel regularly to Dunstable and Milton Keynes.

swing is quite right - at the moment, there is no Pocket PC software that can use the Trafficmaster data, which is a huge shame. There's no problem in principle with using Trafficmaster data on a PDA - Trafficmaster have a standalone application on Palm OS that uses their data. Sadly, they haven't come up with anything for the Pocket PC - standalone or, even better, integrated into a navigation program.

If anyone else fancies trying my comparison, then simply visiting www.trafficmaster.net will show a carousel of some live traffic data. Alternatively, I believe they still offer a free trial of one month - you have to give your credit card details, but if you cancel a few days before the end of your trial period, your credit card won't be charged.

David
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, no package delivered and no card from a courier. Better get in contact with Navigon to see where it is....And I was so looking forward to my new toy...
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: As part of the cross upgrade to Navigon MBEE I needed to include my old GPS receiver. I did not send in my old hardware which is the reason why I haven't got my new package yet....Ah well a bit longer to wait...
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Navigon review Reply with quote

Any joy yet? (I'm not impatient or anything) Confused
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I can't wait myself!!! I think they must have been very busy with the CEBIT etc...
squarebanana
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a pity that the isisholdings page mentioned above, couldnt be loaded(maybe it could) then at least if your sat in some services you could access it by gprs to take a look further down where your going.

I do agree though it would be an absolute boon to have this sort of traffic data available through say tom tom2, have tom tom never thought of releasing anything like this, i thought it would be a real boon to them commercially speaking
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squarebanana wrote:
have tom tom never thought of releasing anything like this
Given that the data TomTom use has TMC data available, some of us expected the new v3 being released in the next few months to add TMC support, and for TomTom to start selling the hardware as well. However, I don't believe they have included support.

This may simply be that they realise the market wants a Bluetooth GPS-TMC unit (all TMC supporting GPS units today are hardwired), and will release TMC support once such a unit is available.

Certainly on the Continent where TomTom do not have such a large market share, the market leaders have added TMC support, which really does show TomTom in a different light (in my opinion).

I note that the TMC vote on this website has indicated that most people want TMC, and many of those understand this will not come for free.
scwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any1 have an update to this?

Am really clsoe to purchasing the Leadtek mouse with rds-tmc, but even after massive trawling of to web, i'm still none the wiser where this is a good, workable option for the uk!!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all you would need to check that the Leadtek TMC version does support the frequency scan of Classic FM otherwise you won't get any TMC data out.

Secondly you also need a product that supports it. No PDA product does currently. You'll have to wait to see what TomTom come out with, but if they were to bring out a TMC enabled software I would suspect it would be bundled to work initially with their TMC hardware.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
First of all you would need to check that the Leadtek TMC version does support the frequency scan of Classic FM otherwise you won't get any TMC data out.

I believe the RDS GPS units supplied with Alturion and Navigon BMN both work fine in the UK, but as the Alturion one doesn't work with the Navigon software, I wouldn't want to commit to anything. I think Alturion use a modified Leadtek mouse.

Quote:
Secondly you also need a product that supports it. No PDA product does currently.

Wrong - www.alturion.com and www.navigon.de both have full UK map support and both support RDS-TMC with their GPS-TMC hardware, and both will supply to the UK direct (though neither have UK distributors).

However, as both supply their own hardware, and only claim support for their own hardware, I wouldn't want to state whether it would be safe to buy the TMC mouse on its own (and I would question why you would want to when it is available in bundles that are guaranteed to work)
scwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys. I've never found a subject harder to do any research on! Especially seeing as I would have thought it was top of everybodys wishlist( btw I think its a shame that tt3 went for gprs instead of tmc for its traffic service, but I s'pose its a better commercial option)

Don't know about Navigon but Alturion allows you to set the frequency to recieve the tmc on, I would assume they both work the same. The leadtek lead should be fine as its the software that does the tuning.

For swing : the reason I want to get the lead first is two fold, 1st incase tt3 supported tmc then would look to purchase that instead. 2nd until I have a definative answer on what works in uk and what doesn't - bearing in mind pocketgps hasn't reviewed either alturion or navigon business mobile navigator - i feel its prudent to try before i buy, thats all.

What are the pitfalls of tmc? Is the data unreliable and that is why nobody is to bothered about it?
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: TMC/Traffic-i/TrafficMaster Reply with quote

The more I look inot this, the more confused I have become. IS there a FAQ I can be pointed to?

My "understnding":
I looked at VDO etc, but was advised that the traffic info that comes over the radio (I THINK it's called RDS-TMC) was too inaccurate and slow, somewhat like the news flashes that interrupt on a normal car radio (also using RDS?).

Navigon & Alturion seem to use Traffic-i which I think uses the TrafficMaster data which I am told is much more up-to-the-minute than TMC (unless they're the same thing!), and of course there's the various standalone boxes from TrafficMaster themselves.

I THNK (seem to be doing a lot of this) that TrafficMaster / traffic-i know where you are through the mobile phone system called GPRS rather than the satellite GPS system, hence why they can use the O2 XDAII.

So while we await deJong's review of the Navigon integrated system with bated breath, it seems that for a good realtime system the Navigation (Tom Tom et al) and Traffic (Traffic-i) info have to be separate, either on 2 boxes (PDA + Standalone traffic), PDA + GPRS mobile phone (but you can't make / receive a call at teh same time), or O2 XDAII.

How much of the above is correct? Exclamation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: