Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacement Sat Nav for Motorhome - currently Garmin 2620.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Sat Nav for Motorhome - currently Garmin 2620.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Replacement Sat Nav for Motorhome - currently Garmin 2620. Reply with quote

Greetings:

We seek the forums help and advice!

We have had a Garmin 2620 for the past four years that has given us sterling service. We use the Sat Nav primarily in our motorhome (Hymer B644) and occasionally in our cars. Each year we have updated the unit with the latest City Navigator maps without any problems.

This year City Navigator v9 is split into three different maps of Europe, as the entire database will not fit on the hard drive of our unit. This may be problematic as we tour all across Europe (from the North Cape to the Algarve and most places in-between!) in our motorhome and will not be able to load/switch maps when we are on the move.

Consequently we’re thinking of getting a new Sat Nav and seek the groups advice on an appropriate unit. We’ve liked the 2620 as it has a ban bag mount which is essential for our motorhome – a suction cup attachment on the windscreen would mean that the unit would be too far away to read! We also want a Sat Nav that is capable of loading POI’s e.g. Aires de Service, Camp Sites etc. (our current unit being rather old does not have this feature).

The Garmin 2820 looks tempting – is this a good choice? Are there other alternatives that we should be considering? Where should we buy?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Nigel.
Deus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not having a go here, I drive a HGV, as do many other people in this part of the forum. But if you can't read the instructions from your sat nav if its attached to the windscreen by suction cup, then you need your eye's testing.
I can perfectly see a 4 inch screen 3 feet away, or even further.

That said, I've only ever had tomtom's and I cannot fault them. The 910 has all the maps you need I believe. Plus there's the 20 gig hard drive, easy addition of POI's - If you have a pc that is.
Tomtom charge for map updates.

Just curious neighbour, where in West Yorks are you?
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus:

Thanks for your advice. No, I don't need my eyes testing Smile though I do wear glasses!

The driving position in our motorhome (an A class Hymer B644) means that I sit at least four feet away from the windscreen. The fascia (i.e. shelf) from steering wheel to screen is at least three feet and I sit another foot or so back from this.

It really would be difficult to see a sat nav that is stuck onto the screen with a suction cup. That's why we really like the bean bag fixing of our current Garmin unit.

Thanks for your suggestion of the TomTom 910 - I'll check this out.

Amother unit that has been suggested to me on one of the internet newsgroups is the ONE XL Europe (this comes with a larger screen). Unfortunately this only includes maps for western Europe not eastern Europe where we travel quite frequently (though some eastern European countries maps can be purchased as add ons). It's been suggested that this unit be used in conjunction with Brodit ProClip mount.

We're in Cleckheaton - not too far from Halifax. Let me know if you fancy meeting up to discuss further.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Nigel.
Deus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to meet, no problem, I'll bring my 910 and you can take us both for a test drive???

There may be other mounts for a TT that could extend the reach, not sure though, I've never needed it.
4 feet is a fair distance though.
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus:

Thanks for your offer of further help - I've sent you a PM with contact details.

Nigel.
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a swan neck mounted , powered speaker mount . The suction cup is attached to a flat disc fixed to the parcel shelf . Tomtom 6 + Western Europe is fine for my PDA . I have read that iGO software now has some good Eastern Europe mapping . You could look at some of the Mitac Digiwalker satnavs that use this software .
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebill:

Thanks for your input. The difficulty that I face is that the parcel shelf from the fascia to the winscreen is covered with rubberised knobbly type material that will not facilitate the fixing of any type of disc mount.

Due to the mounting issue and wanting to swap the Sat Nav easily and quickly between our motorhome and two cars I'll probably get another Garmin with bean bag mount - though the TT One XL (Europe) does look as though it meets our needs apart from the mounting issue (and cheaper too!)

Nigel.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider the TomTom One XL Brodit Holder and see if there is a suitable Pro Clip for the vehicles you own, there are a number of different solutions for the holder both Active and passive which can be found Here

Have a good dig around for the ProClip for your vehicle Hymer isn't specifically listed but there are some generic Vent mounts that you might be able to employ with the Hymer- Mike
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at brodit pro clips these are custom designed mounts for individual cars trucks etc I'm sure the they will have something to meet your requirments

also when a move clip is used you can remove the mount for the unit in one to two seconds litterally most of pgpsw team and mods use these myself included and can't fault them at all I have 2 in my car and one mount and three move clips in the truck . including one move clip on a mount your in no way limited to the supplier mounts have a look found at other alternatives

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions re the Brodit clips. Our motorhome is based on a Fiat Ducato and Brodit do a clip for that - I guess we'd also have to get clips for the two cars as well (Saab & Renault) to make everything interchangeable.

One concern that I do have is that by always having a clip on display does this encourage break-ins as there's the assumtion that the Sat Nav is hidden somewhere in the vehicle? (particularly if we are travelling overseas in the motorhome).

A further thought that would make my quest a lot easier - is there a company that provides bean bag mounts for Tom Tom products? That would solve all the problems!

Nigel.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel, have a read of This which contains some pictures of the prodit clips and "Move it" clips, at least one photo illustrates what is left remaining in the vehicle when the holder is removed - its very small and doesn't look like a Sat Nav bracket.
I appreciate its not a vehicle you have or the Brodit holder you are looking at for the One XL but it might give you a few more ideas - Mike
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Thanks for your help. Brodit do clips for all our vehicles, some of which seem to clip over an air vent, and from an aesthetic point of view don't look very pretty! (and, also block the airflow a/c from the vent).

Also, particularly on our motorhome, having the Sat Nav located on the front parcel shelf means that it's easier for both passenger and driver to see that Sat Nav and navigate.

Perhaps I should get cracking and manufacture bean bags for Tom Tom units . . . there is a market our there!

Nigel.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm.. like you I have been going around in circles looking for a replacement for my 2610.

bean bag is great and do not want a windscreen fitting

but what I will miss above all is the ability to plan routes (motorhome owner) on my computer and download to GPS. I have V9 maps.

thought about 2820 as well - but it is a slow and large beast...

new TT 720 may be worth a look and you can plan routes on Autoroute 2007 - convert and download.

garmin seem to be going backwards...
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't got Autoroute you can also use this programme HERE to plan routes - it uses Google Earth.

It's called Tyre

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with these vent mount kits will I need an external aerial for GPS (in a motorhome with latge overcab)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: