Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Performance of a Geodesy Morpheous Plus
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Performance of a Geodesy Morpheous Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: GPS Performance of a Geodesy Morpheous Plus Reply with quote

I have a Geodesy Morpheous Plus and now I've got used to it I wouldn't want to be without such a device. However, I do suspect that its GPS performance is quite poor, as it sometimes takes a very long time to fix (20 minutes, say), and occasionally I can make a journey of an hour or so and it will not obtain a fix at all.

I've just bought a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS receiver that I occasionally use for navigation with a Palm Tungsten T3, and I get the impression that the GlobalSat, placed next to the Morpheous on the dashboard, usually obtains fix more quickly. I would love to build up a log of the two devices time to fix, but that's quite hassly and difficult when one is driving alone.

Also, the Morpheous sometimes starts in a mode where the single red light goes off for half a second or so about every twenty seconds, and when it does that I know it will never fix, and I unplug it for a couple of minutes then plug it back in. I don't know whether it is a fault or what.

What I like about the Morpheous is that it is silent unless one is actually breaking the speed limit, when it makes a real racket with beeps and flashing lights, but I will probably end up replacing it with and Origin B2. hoping that the Origin, being more modern, has a better GPS performance.

I realise that a GPS device placed on the dashboard of a car doesn't have a completely unobstructed view of the sky and it may be unavoidable that on some days the combination of satellite positions and one's direction of travel mean that a fix is impossible.

I would be interested in hearing other people's experiences with GPS camera warning systems, and whether they alway fix quickly or whether they have good days and bad days. Also I would like product reviews of camera warning systems on this site to address the issue of GPS performance.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Geodesy and reviews it so I can probably give a good view of the problems you're having.

If you wait in-car for 3 minutes whilst the Geodesy is powered up, does it acquire a fix very quick ? Some GPS's are worse than others in acquiring a fix and trying to obtain a fix whilst travelling can create extended fixes of 15-20 minutes or longer.

When I reviewed the Geodesy fix time was around the 1 minute mark, if you're consistently getting 20 minute fixes then it could be that you have a UV protected windscreen or a windscreen with a heater coil.

How long does the GlobalSat take ? If it's longer than 5 minutes then I'd say you need an external antenna or a re-radiating antenna. If however the GlobalSat is consistently coming in at around a minute to fix but the Geodesy is taking 20 minutes then it could be something to do with the firmware release in the Geodesy, or a physical failure like a problem with the antenna.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a standard Morpheous Geodesy unit (i.e. not a “Plus” one). About four months after I had bought the unit it’s GPS fix times (cold, warm, and hot) suddenly increased to more than 20 minutes. On one occasion I timed it to be 50 minutes. These times were taken whilst the vehicle was stationary. Often the Geodesy unit would not fix at all whilst the vehicle was moving. I didn’t have a PDA SatNav system at the time but I did have a Garmin 12XL handheld GPS unit, which worked OK and fixed on satellites when placed next to the Geodesy unit.

I contacted Morpheous and they asked me to send the unit back. I received it by return of post and it was exactly the same and the problem wasn’t fixed. I sent it back to them and they sent me a brand new unit although it did have the same serial number as the old one. In the end, from originally contacting Morpheous to getting the new unit was about a week.

Morpheous are a good firm to deal with. However you must obtain a returns number from them before you send your unit back to them.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reponses. Did you pay the £50 repair fee, Privateer?

I made a journey yesterday where I resolved to time the ttf (time to fix) of my GlobalSat and my Morpheous, but it became farcicle, and I was forced to conclude that my Morpheous is faulty. The GlobalSat initially fixed in 44 seconds yet after 17 minutes the Morpheous stilled hadn't fixed, so I switched the GlobalSat on again and it fixed in one minute. I then unplugged the Morpheous for a couple of minutes and plugged it back in, but after a further 30 minutes it still hadn't fixed. At that stage I again switched on the GlobalSat and it fixed before I could start my timer. About five minutes later the Morpheous fixed but toggled between fixed and not fixed every ten seconds or so, as though it was struggling. This morning the Morpheous fixed in about two minutes.

I shall contact Morpheous and report here my experiences. I still wonder whether the Morpheous, being and an early GPS product, is slower to fix than modern devices. Do you have a feel for that, Privateer? Is your repaired Morpheous as quick to fix as your Garmin?

I would still like to see in reviews of GPS camera warning devices a few comparative TTfs to see whether they are up to par with other GPS devices of known quality.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denny,

No I didn’t pay the £50 repair fee as the unit was still in warranty. I just paid for the post (Parcel Force) and packaging which I think was less than £10 for the two despatches.

It sounds like you have the same problem as I had with my original unit. I believe the problem started after I did an update via the desk stand modem.

Have you contacted Morpheous yet? They did a remote reset on my unit. This happened the next time that I used the modem. It didn’t work for me but it might for you. If you are liable for a £50 repair fee then this would be a good thing to try first.

I don’t use my Garmin 12XL (which is an old model) very often these days. However the Geodesy is normally pretty quick to come online (blue light) – normally sub 60 seconds and often sub 30 seconds. It really is 50/50 between the Geodesy and the TomTom wired GPS mouse as to which one gets a satellite fix first.

HTH,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: