Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which GPS Camera Detector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which GPS Camera Detector
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Which GPS Camera Detector Reply with quote

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the incorrect forum to post this.

I currently have a TTG 500 and utilise a camera database. Works very well, however I am about to get a new car that as a manufactures sat nav system (Honda Accord), so the Mrs will get my TTG.

So I am in the market for a device for just detecting cameras. I am stuck between a Snooper Sapphire and a Micro Fuzion.

Preferable I don't want to mount it using a glass attachment which the Micro Fuzion seems capable of but I want to make sure also that I don't have any issues with getting a satellite lock.

I would appreciate any feedback on the products or if there is another device I should be considering.

Thanks in advance. :D
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that you consider looking at the Pogo Alert, this is window mounted but then too is the Snooper Sapphire. I bought the Pogo Drive which although I later returned because I was not happy with the navigational side of things I found the speed camera warnings to be very good. The Alert is about to be released on to the market and from making earlier comparisons between this and the snooper I think the Alert is the better product. If you look further down this column under the heading of 'Origin' you will be able to read the feedback about the Pogo Drive.

Don't consider the MicroGo offering as this is not very good either in sound quality or view.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hold off until you've had time to evaluate your Honda system. You may well find that the GO is better. You could always get a TomTom ONE for £170 and continue to use our database. Even if you only use it for camera alerts you'll get a better solution than any dedicated device (IMHO).
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system will be quite good - depending on the version of it. My friend's new (07 Reg) Accord top-of-range 2.3D has the satnav. It has TMC (based on iTIS) as it works up here in North West (land of no Trafficmaster from Winter Hill). It also has BT handsfree capability. As it also serves as the radio/CD system the sound quality is very good.

Only issue is that new maps are not cheap - around £200 a pop and the POI's are not comprehensive. You can't add bulk POI's via the DVD as appear to be encoded. You can manually add POI's from the control panel - but I wouldn't fancy the job of doing the speed cam database. Laughing

Never checked it - but it may have it's own speed cam service of course.

In-Car sat nav systems need to get a little smarter - SD card readers would be a good start.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So:
    No Safety Cams
    No Custom POIs
    No Custom Voices
    Cumbersome Address Entry
    Uninspiring Map Displays
Remind me apart from the larger screen and built-in bits are positives Question I had a factory fit system in my X-Type Jag which was poor in comparison to my GO and the COMMAND system in my wife's Mercedes isn't any better. Needless to say we both use PND's in preference to them Laughing
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats for info guys. Very informative. :D

From reading up I am aware that the Honda system can't touch that of a TTG (although I keen to know how useful the TMC function will be), but since its going to be there anyway I want to make best use it if I can and the idea was to supplement the lack of a camera database/ mass POI with another device as those mentioned. Nothing fancy just something reliable.
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At £250 the POGO Alert seems a little excessive to pay including £50 a year to subscribe.

The Micro Fuzion is £99 including a life time subscription, which seems a good deal, however without a recommendation I have no idea how good the database is.

The Snooper Sapphire is £150 + £99 for a lifetime subscription.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi flylikeahandbag

I used to have a Microfuzion GPS camera detector and despite others poo-pooing the unit, I actually found the little unit quit good - voice alerts were nice and clear (quite loud when turned up), database seemed quite up-to-date, updates released several times a week, plus it covered mobile sites!! (The voice alert would indicate with "Possible Mobile Camera Site Ahead" or something like that).

I did sell mine on for the DriveSmart in the end (liked the sound of the Specs system on the DS). I now use a PogoDrive - just a shame Origin don't cover mobile sites with that.

For the money I found the Microfuzion more than up to the job. And as you are aware, its lifetime subscription is a bonus. If you don't want to run to the "flashier" models, then go with the Microfuzion (just my advice though).

BB
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info. Having done some more reading, I am now swaying towards a Talex Lite.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other unit you could consider is the Cheetah GPS Mirror - more expensive, but a great unit. Have recently got mine and I am really impressed with it - again database updates are free.

BB
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of kit. I would be worried about trying to install such a unit running cables in the door pillars with airbags. Too many choices. Confused
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe-you-me, its easier than you think - you only have to tuck the power cable under the roof lining. That should come away enough to do that. As for the A-pillar's they usually come away with a small bit of effort then snap-back in again when you are done. Mine have been pulled off and refitted more times than I can remember!

BB
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info. Decisions decisions. :D
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Inforad with lifetime subscription and a Whistler 945 Euro.

The camera database here, backs them up on my i3.
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a Talex Lite in the end. Cheers for all of the info. :D

Brand new unused off ebay with a years subscription for just over £50.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: