Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 3450 sleeve and HP 5455
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 3450 sleeve and HP 5455

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Navman 3450 sleeve and HP 5455 Reply with quote

I know this has been done to death but has anyone had any success with this pairing?

I own a Hewlett Packard IPAQ H5455 which is an American referb it works very well with my Fortuna Bluetooth GPS and Tomtom Navigator 2 But the hassle of forgetting to turn it off got the better of me as it lives in the sunroof slot in my car so I bought a power lead for it which also works well until you are hurtling down the motorway and the power gets interupted then I need six hands checking the connections and pressing the on button... Anyway enough of that and enter the Navman sleeve a really sad day that was.

I purchased the 3300 version thinking I could use Tomtom for on road and the Smart ST for offroad and after much deliberation managed to get Navman to tell me that both the 3450 and the 3300 use the same hardware sleeve so I chose the 3300 version. I installed it and away I went. Tomtom Navigator 2 version 2.24 and GPS driver 2.06, I had to put the Navman 3.1.6 driver in to get it all to work... And away I went magic all worked well using the Navman 3000 GPS setting and com 4 then after about six miles I needed to change my destination but none of the IPAQ controls would respond, No touch screen, No hardware buttons... but it still worked as a navigator. Since then I have tried what seems like every combination of GPS driver but always with the same problem and the only way to regain control is either a soft reset or a power off and back on.

Has anyone had the same problem or better still has anyone got this combination to work with more success than I have?

It has got to stage that Navman have agreed to take the sleeve back and check it with a view to replacing it if they find it faulty.

Regards

ERnieS
JMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Navman 3450 sleeve and HP 5455 Reply with quote

ErnieS wrote:

Has anyone had the same problem or better still has anyone got this combination to work with more success than I have?

I have exactly the same problem with my HP 5450 and Navman 3400. Using SmartST isn't a problem, but TTN2 does the same as yours. I contacted TT and was told that they were trying to get hold of a 3400 jacket to do some tests with. That was back in October and I’ve heard nothing else since.

But then yesterday, I finally got around to installing the PPC2003 upgrade on the iPAQ. Today in the car, TTN2 and the 3400 worked perfectly without locking the screen or buttons. More testing is needed but hopefully this has solved the problem.

Jason
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jason,

I too contacted Tomtom but am still awaiting a reply. I would however be very interested in knowing if it does cure the problem and would be very grateful if you could keep me posted on that one... Thanks in advance.

ErnieS
JMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after a bit more testing...

I'm not sure that it was the PPC2003 OS upgrade after all. I think it may be a storage card problem. I used to have all my maps/POI's on a 256MB Cucial CF card in the Navman CF slot. I put the maps onto a 128MB MMC card in the SD slot of the iPAQ and had no screen lock ups. I took that out, put the CF card back in and the lockups returned. I'm just loading the maps onto a 128MB CF card from my camera and i'll use that in the Navman slot tonight and see what happens...

Jason
JMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after testing a few configurations last night and today, I’ve come to the conclusion that the problem is the CF socket in the Navman jacket. I've tried three different CF cards, two from Crucial and one Sandisk and all three cause the screen and buttons to lock up. Using an MMC card or an SD card in the iPAQ itself fixes the problem. I only had one lockup with the MMC/SD cards and that locked the whole system requiring a reset. I don’t believe that installing PPC2003 as I originally thought is the answer.

Jason
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Does the Navman work with Chinese Copies ? Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

Well now thats funny because I have had several replies from TT and Navman over the last week and they all say that the problem seems to be of all things Chinese memory cards and suggest using Japanese ones...... Now one my way back from Holland through Schiphol I called in several camera and electronics shops and could only find ones made in China or Taiwan.
JV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Navman 3450 + Ipaq 5455 Reply with quote

Hi guys
I have the same configuration and discovered the same problems.
As Jason has discovered the problem is to do with the CF slot.

To be exact the problem is an IPAQ 5000 series issue. On any other model Ipaq the CF slot on the Navman sleeve works fine, however with the 5000 series there is some sort of power draw that locks up the unit.

I believe Navman have now fixed this by adding an extra resistor into the sleeve to compensate for this.

I simply bought a SD Memory card loaded all my maps onto that and have never experienced another lock up since.

JV
naza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm tried that myself but still get lock ups using the SD card!!!

Naza
JV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Navman 3450 + Ipaq 5455 Reply with quote

Naza

Just a question! Is the CF slot Free on your Navman Sleeve or do you a CM memory Card in the slot.? Even though you are not using it.?

If so remove it totally

Make sure you have installed the latest firmware & 3.1.6 driver from Navman website for Ipaq 5400 series and use SD memory card only.

Hope that helps

JV
PJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 5450 and Navman 3450 jacket locks up Reply with quote

I also get the same problem, (not all the time) but more than i would like it too.
I have an Ipaq 5450 with a navman 3450 jacket running TomTom 2.24 with GPS 3.1.6.

If there is someone out there that can help i would love to here from you as it is starting to be a pain in the A**E.
rich_in_spirit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks. Travroute says it can't be done. Navman is playing coy.

To use the IPAQ 5550 with Copilot version 4, the Navman 3400 sleeve (the one that came with the earlier versions of CoPilot, designed for the IPAQ 3600, etc.) you have to have the correct driver. The 5550 uses Pocket PC 2003 as its OS.

The correct driver can be found at http://www.griffinnet.co.uk/downloads.htm
select the link for "CoPilot Navman GPS Jacket Serial Driver" or enter the following URL http://www.griffinnet.co.uk/files/ppgps/insnavman.arm.cab

Download that driver, insnavman.arm.cab, onto your hard drive. Using the explorer from Active Synch, copy the driver into the root directory of the IPAQ. From the explorer of the IPAQ, double click the file. An error message will pop up and the IPAQ will lock up. Not to worry. Do a soft reset and PRESTO! you now have access to the old sleeve and can avoid forking out the $199 travroute wants for an upgraded jacket.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: