Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom PIN entry
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom PIN entry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mfield999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: tomtom PIN entry Reply with quote

i hope this is is the right place to mention this, I have a Tomtom 300 and recently upgraded the application software using tomtom home.

Tomtom allows you to create / maintain a pin number when you switch on, so rendering it usless to anyone else.

To activate it - go to "Change Preferences", "Set Owner" , options allow you to set owner details -and pin no. You need to be connected to tomtom home for pin to get activated.
Hope this helps.

Matthew Field
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom PIN entry Reply with quote

Mfield999 wrote:
i hope this is is the right place to mention this, I have a Tomtom 300 and recently upgraded the application software using tomtom home.

Tomtom allows you to create / maintain a pin number when you switch on, so rendering it usless to anyone else.

To activate it - go to "Change Preferences", "Set Owner" , options allow you to set owner details -and pin no. You need to be connected to tomtom home for pin to get activated.
Hope this helps.

Matthew Field

I've only just seen this, and noticed that there are no comments. Has anyone else done this, and does it work OK?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes m8, tt1, it does work Wink
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the TomTom newsletter yesterday, and this was a topic.

They advise you to set a password and enter your home address, reckon it will render the unit useless Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not render the device useless at all - it is a simple defence against theft, the four digit PIN number has to be entered before the device can be used, but there is no limit to the number of times the number can be entered.
In theory a thief could start at 0000 and work right through to 9999 to actually find the pin number, the casual thief would bin the device as it wouldn't be worth much down the pub for the next drug fix.
It is this later case that the software PIN number is handy, if the device is ditched or ends up in the hands of the Police it can be returned to the lawful owner - as long as the address is correctly set - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It is this later case that the software PIN number is handy, if the device is ditched or ends up in the hands of the Police it can be returned to the lawful owner - as long as the address is correctly set - Mike
Does that mean the police or finder would need to go from 0000 to 9999 to get the PIN in order to get through to where it says your address? :D

The reason there are few comments in this thread is that the subject has been discussed a lot on earlier ones. The end result of those discussions was DON'T LEAVE THE DEVICE WHERE SOMEBODY CAN NICK IT FROM. And don't leave the mount in the windscreen either (and even polish off the ring mark it makes) - you could end up with no stolen device, but a load of busted glass (like I did). Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
diablo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so interested in this that I tried it out on my 500.

Yes, it does work, exactly as it says on the tin.

Connect to HOME, click My TomTom, click the displayed tomtom's start button on screen.
At this point a screen prompt said I needed to download specific software, which I did.

Went to Set Owner option and my original entry was shown as name, address etc. Next was a prompt to set a four digit pin. Clicking YES brought up a numeric keypad and a pin was entered and confirmed.

Obeying screen instructions I switched OFF the displayed tomtomGo BEFORE disconnecting.

On starting my 500, instead of the usual name & address being displayed, waiting for a continue, a numeric keypad was ALSO displayed under the address with which your pin is entered. This then went on into the current GPS position.

Naturally of course, you must have a net connection whilst doing this.
So in answer to DennisN, the name and address is shown on switch on, waiting for the pin to be entered.

I rather liked it (10/10),and will keep it on whilst waiting for my 720 to arrive!!!

Diablo
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diablo wrote:
So in answer to DennisN, the name and address is shown on switch on, waiting for the pin to be entered.

Yes, right. That's the bit (name and address) NOT filled in by those of us who prefer not to tell the car thief who's stolen our cars, complete with GO, with address of where the keys will fit the house door lock whilst we're still out there trying to get back home.

On a serious note, if you search around you'll find several alternative suggestions to entering your name and address to avoid this possibility. For example, instead of name and address, "WARNING, STOLEN DEVICE, SATELLITE TRACKING STARTED, POLICE NOTIFIED".

diablo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Yes, right. That's the bit (name and address) NOT filled in by those of us who prefer not to tell the car thief who's stolen our cars, complete with GO, with address of where the keys will fit the house door lock whilst we're still out there trying to get back home.

Point taken, but I was assuming the topic was on stolen/lost units....no house keys involved.
Still, I agree with you that the address does give the thief (if stolen), your whereabouts which perhaps is not a good thing.

Insomuch, I think I'll take your advice and remove it.

Diablo
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't claim credit for the advice diablo. Others far wiser than I came up with it. Back then, there were dozens of posts with really great looking false screens to frighten robbers. I'm not that bright, simply settle for taking mine out of the motor every time. BUT I didn't take the mounts out, so my passenger window got busted one night and let the rain in (they didn't get anything worth having, except my Black Dyke Mills Brass Band CD and a few other classical music ones). Take note!!

ChristopherPovey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if it is still possible to turn on the PIN protection with TomTom Home 2.0.0.370 and TomTom One v2?

Edit:

To answer my own question yes it is.

On the first page click on "Operate my ONE".
Click on the map then "Change Pereferences".
Go to Page 6 then click on "Set Owner".
Click "No" to change details".
Click "Yes" to enter PIN.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one word of warning though boys and girls,
if you turn on the tt and connect to a pc, it does not ask for the code, once on the pc you could explre the tomtom and load another navcore, ie go back to an earlier version and guess what the pass code is gone, so not much use really Rolling Eyes if you needed the code to connect to the pc then ok but you dont and you have no safety net to protect your unit Crying or Very sad
ChristopherPovey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
one word of warning though boys and girls,
if you turn on the tt and connect to a pc, it does not ask for the code, once on the pc you could explre the tomtom and load another navcore, ie go back to an earlier version and guess what the pass code is gone, so not much use really Rolling Eyes if you needed the code to connect to the pc then ok but you dont and you have no safety net to protect your unit Crying or Very sad

Hmmm! So rather than being a security feature it is just an annoying step before you get to set your destination! Might as well not bother then! Well done TomTom...
spikebmth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to out my name & mobile number...

At least it is a small hinderance to a casual theif, who would wanna sell it on to "get a fix"...

Just maybe the police may find it on a raid, and ring the number on startup.

again, a theif could navigate to "home" to get the car keys etc!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: