Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which splitter should I use?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which splitter should I use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Which splitter should I use? Reply with quote

I've read posts describing the GNS Y aerial splitters and most reports seem to say that the GNS splitter (or equivalent) is the way to go.

Has anyone had success with an ordinary y splitter which is specifically designed for TMC?

Btw, does anyone know where it's possible to buy a GNS splitter or equivalent in the UK?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make up a cable from bits if I were you, get the connectors you require to match your vehicle/ equipment and layout from either Maplins or have a look at CPC, there are too many connector variables to make it viable to market the leads needed to split the aerial feed.
What equipment are you trying to interconnect, then I can suggest a few components that can be put together - Mike
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from lowestontheweb (Evesham Computers). It was £29.95 incl P&P. I just looked and the item wasn't listed. May be worth 'phoning or emailing them.

Hope this helps
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would make up a cable from bits if I were you, get the connectors you require to match your vehicle/ equipment and layout from either Maplins or have a look at CPC, there are too many connector variables to make it viable to market the leads needed to split the aerial feed.
What equipment are you trying to interconnect, then I can suggest a few components that can be put together - Mike

Thanks Mike.

I'm going to try to connect a TMC feed to a Mio C710 using a splitter connected to a car aerial. The car, I'm pretty sure, has an ISO aerial.

Is there any advantage to using the GNS TMC specific splitter?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any advantage with a boughtout lead over and above a home made one, the home made item is certainly cheaper and the cable lengths cut to length to match the install, 30 quid seems costly, I would expect change from a tenner building a lead from components - Mike
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I don't see any advantage with a boughtout lead over and above a home made one, the home made item is certainly cheaper and the cable lengths cut to length to match the install, 30 quid seems costly, I would expect change from a tenner building a lead from components - Mike

Thanks Mike - much appreciated.

I did wonder why people seem to be prefer the dedicated TMC splitters - they are a lot more expensive and, surely, only do the same thing as a normal Y splitter (i.e. split the signal). There are a lot of rave reviews for the dedicated splitters though.

A local car audio dealer has told me that he could make up the necessary lead and even install it for a fee. He said that he has installed many dedicated/fixed sat nav systems in cars and that using a Y splitter (without an amplifier) produces a far superior signal than using the shoe string aerial.

Rather than try to do it myself I may have it done by someone who knows what they're doing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
There are a lot of rave reviews for the dedicated splitters though.
Probably from people who burn their own fingers when using a soldering iron Laughing

Retty wrote:
A local car audio dealer has told me that he could make up the necessary lead and even install it for a fee. He said that he has installed many dedicated/fixed sat nav systems in cars and that using a Y splitter (without an amplifier) produces a far superior signal than using the shoe string aerial.
The external feed will always out perform the supplied "shoe string" if you are happy for someone else to install it for nothing then fine, working behind modern dashboards can be dangerous with explosive devices fitted (air bags) so if you are unsure leave it to those who know what they are dealing with, the amplifier is a mute topic at the moment, as not all amplifiers will work well with the digital signal, quite often they raise the noise floor making reception of the digital signal more problematic - depends on the design, but could prove costly if experimenting in this area.

Retty wrote:
Rather than try to do it myself I may have it done by someone who knows what they're doing.
See above re safety, modern cars can cause injury when messing with wiring etc, let us know what you ended up with fitted though and how well it actually worked, a couple of pictures of the cables/ installaton might make an interesting article in its own right - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Is there any advantage to using the GNS TMC specific splitter?
Some car manufacturers have an built in amplifier, which is located at the car aerial end on the roof. As such, as well as the radio signal being sent down the aerial cable, they are also sending 12v up the cable (some are even sending data up the cable too). In this scenario, you need a unit like the GNS splitter, which ensures the 12v still gets sent up the cable, but does not get sent down the TMC feed cable.

However, normally, those sending 12v up the cable use the FAKRA antenna cable. Getting FAKRA connectors is nigh on impossible, and hence in this situation, it is best to buy the splitter cable.

Of course, people like lowestonweb don't seem to sell the FAKRA version in the UK, which means you need to buy from Germany.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is a minefield and whilst most manufacturers go to the trouble of providing an optional aeriel to boost satellite reception, nobody seems to have thought much about FM/RDS reception required for TMC.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - part of the "bigger" problem is that the single wire aerials are often "just" good enough in most (*) countries, allowing the SatNav manufacturer to produce a single solution worldwide.

(*) although not in the UK, where they really can't cope.

The cost of producing a "better" solution for the odd parts of some countries, and to improve the UK TMC situation may not be economical for all SatNav manufacturers.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and the UK is complicated further by having 2 TMC providers.

...but, surely a better aerial would benefit everybody, not just a few
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other European countries have 2 (or more), so that shouldn't be a major issue to the manufacturers (although few other countries have all providers being commercial operations, which does complicate some of the logic required).

Although a car aerial connection would benefit all, in most other european countries, the signal strength is so high, even the single wire can pick up a strong signal in 99% of the country, so a better aerial would only increase this marginally towards 99.6% (say). Whereas in the UK, the better car aerial connection moves you from something like 40% to 80%.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll have to take your word for that because I've only experienced TMC in the south of England.

I haven't used GPS on the continent since 1998, when it was still relatively new, and I was stuck in French customs for about half an hour whilst the customs officials called over their colleagues to have a look at this impressive gadget.

Anyway, back on to the topic...

...could there be other advantages in going for a GNS splitter - signal amplification, for example.

There's no mention of this, but could there be amplification circuitry in that 'box' on the splitter.

If you're crerating your own splitter, is there not a danger of reducing the signal strength to both the car radio and the TMC receiver - ie if the car aerial produces 1 unit of signal, half of this unit will go to the radio and the other half will go to the TMC receiver.

Or am I over-complicating matters?

Also, if Retty is paying somebody to custom-make a splitter, is he not likely to end up paying at least as much as buying from GNS by the time he's paid for components and then labour on top?
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GNS splitter uses a balun (a form of capacitor) to pick up the feed for the TMC signal. The advantage of this is that the TMC/RDS feed is totally isolated from the aerial lead. It does not weaken the feed to the car radio as a direct connection would do and matches the lead impedence to the TMC receiver.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen balun transformers being used with aerials, but I couldn't find anything anywhere online (well, within the first couple of pages on Google) what this balun transformer did.

So, in effect, I guess that the TMC feed is amplified by being 'filtered out' for the TMC feed.

I guess, therefore, that an amplified car aerial may not necessarily improve reception because the background will also be amplified without this balun - or is over-simplifying things?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: