Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6 is terrible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6 is terrible
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 6 is terrible Reply with quote

Clavain wrote:
Hi
I have upgraded my old version of TomTom (4 think) to TomTom 6 because I am off to the states and wanted to navigate.

It has been a terrible experience.

I paid about 100Euro for TT6 and about 100Euro for the new USA maps as download, but I can't get it to work.
I took me 3 days and about 6 hours to down the less than 1GB of map material from TT's server. Just terrible. The server at TT's end is so slow it is unbelievable. I live in Germany and have a good 2MBit broadband connection which is stable and doesn't give me any grief. That was untill I started to load down TT.
Never mine, I got it downloaded eventually and after another day of grief and calls to support, managed to get the maps installed on to a new 1 GB SD card. But it still will not run!

TomTom Home, the client program on your computer is truely, truely terrible. Crashing, burning, not starting, hanging, it is just awful, a banged together piece of crockware. Now it won't recognise my device and tells me I have an unauthorised iPAQ, althought I bougth the SD version of TT (program and europe maps on card).

This is just dreadful. I have spent at least 18 hours trying to get this thing to run, and I have been working in the Computer industry since 1988.

Give this one a miss.
Clavain Sad

Did you get a demo first? You haven't learn much since 1988.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can get a demo of any sat nav software, never mind tomtom navigator.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is at least one who supplies demos but I can't remember who.

Getting demos of several (which would be the only real value) is impossible legally.

You CAN read reviews but preferences are very subjective. I have both TTN6 and Destinator V6, neither is perfect and it is difficult to say which is best!

Destinator is cheaper, has better mapping of Ireland and doesnt need serial numbers so you can change devices easily. TTN6 has a marginally better UI (I think). Neither calculates routes that I would use, Destinator , in my opinion, produces the better routing most of the time.
Xman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried Igo, and is the best UI I have seen but that does not really matter much. The routes calculated are very good and really like the "economic" feature it offers. Looking forward to the launch in the UK soon.
glenjstockton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: I COULD NOT GET TOMTOM 6 TO RUN ON MY IPAQ 2490 Reply with quote

:D BUT THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE,
if you get an wav error fault
I suggest that you perform a clean reset on the iPAQ and check if the issue persists.

Note: A clean reset clears all user-installed settings, programs, and data, and it restores your HP iPAQ to factory settings. Please backup the data because all data would be lost when you perform a clean reset.

To perform a clean reset and return your HP iPAQ to factory settings:
Press and hold the Calendar(left most button), Power, and Messaging (second button from the right) buttons.
While holding down these buttons, use the stylus to lightly press the Reset button on the bottom of the HP iPAQ until the device restarts.
When the HP iPAQ restarts, release all of the buttons, and then remove the stylus from the Reset button.
The HP iPAQ restarts and powers on.
Once the Clean reset is completed, without restoring the previously backed up data on to the iPAQ perform the following steps:

Reinstall TomTom program _Install .cab
Do not reboot the iPAQ.
Tap Start_Programs_ File Explorer_Windows
Go to menu_Show all files
Search for file BTCOREIF and delete it
Soft Reset the iPAQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: