Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 6 - Transfer to new device....what a farce!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 6 - Transfer to new device....what a farce!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Navigator 6 - Transfer to new device....what a farce! Reply with quote

I was running Navigator 6 - Western Europe on my M5000 for a few months. I had registered the software and had traffic subscriction all paid up no worries. Happy as Larry.

I was offered an upgrade to an M3100 about 3 months later so I snapped one up. I registered the software and bingo traffic worked on this device so I assumed the transfer had done traffic too. Ran it for 2 months no problems. The only issue was after a week or so when I sent them this email:

I have updated tomtom home to v 1.5, and when Home starts it now identifies my device as a PU10, telling me that the device is not associated with my account. The device is exactly the same as before and has NOT been hard reset. The software now tells me that I need to either change my device or not have access to services.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The reply was along the lines of don't worry it's not an issue. So I just associated the Home account with the device and on I went.

Then a couple of months later while sitting bored in traffic somewhere (ironic as I have a traffic subscription!) I tried activating Buddies. No joy and suddenly my traffic isn't working telling me the subscription is registered to another device (my M5000). So on arrival home I logged on and saw I had to register it to the new device which puzzled me as it had been working. I tried to change it and it informs me I've changed it too many times and need to contact customer services.

So I call up a guy who says no problem we'll sort it out. I called them 4 days later and it appears someone hasn't sent it to the right department but it would be sorted by 4pm when the shifts change. 5pm still nothing so i check my email and I've got a message saying:

RMAXXXXX
Please only return the item(s) requested :TomTom GO 910 Device and 910 Car Charger (CLA)
and include a photocopy of your proof of purchase.

Er, what??

So back on the phone and then I'm told I need to supply proof of purchase to transfer the subscription for traffic. Bear in mind here I have never moved my traffic subscription and it's been working on my new device for 2 months. So I root around and scan a document and email but they refuse it because it doesn't have a date on it. I sent the £0.00 upgrade reciept to my accountant and only had an undated covering letter.

So this goes on for about a week and I'm slowly losing the will to live with these guys. I'd sent a series of sensible, lengthy descriptions of the problem and yet I was starting to feel like some kind of piracy-monger and being treated like I was trying to pull a fast one. At one point a guy in Holland said to me in a patronising voice "listen Mr Hxxxx, you can only change your device once and thats the rules. if you can't provide proof of purchase then we won't change it" At this point I blew a gasket and said "No YOU listen... read the bloody emails!!! How can I be wrong by asking to transfer my traffic subscription from a previous device to one YOU'VE already allowed Software transfer to!! (I nearly added 'you patronising little s**t' but resisted as it would hardly have helped. All this sitting in a layby on the A1. I was furious!

I can really appreciate that you have to prove your ownership of the device etc. I own a company that makes software and I'd fight tooth and nail to stop someone pulling a fast one on me. But you only had to read the emails and track the registrations to see it all added up.

Furthermore, this guy said it ws just the way the software worked and if I registered it on a second device the first one would still work. Well if the software is so damn smart that it knows a subscription service is active on one device it should be smart enough to de-register it on the other in my humble opinion! And as it's a subscription service what's the problem? I suggested cancelling the subscription and renewing it, even suggesting doing it over the phone but was told I couldn't do that. I made it totally clear that I wanted to be credited for 1 month of subscription and I could swear he sniggered, it was that kind of conversation.

All it needed was for someone to read the emails properly and piece it all together. A 3 minute job. Instead it was all based on the last email and handled in a shambolic manner and with a distinctly unpleasant tone.

I've spent many late nights this week supporting users of our new software version. I have pondered in quiet moments where my company would be if I didn't read the mails from my clients properly and applied the approach I was met with from Tom Tom. I think we'd last about a week! I need a mass market product so I can sit back with a fat cigar, and not worry about the individual.

It's taken another turn now as my M3100 developed a fault and was exchanged under warranty. i'm now chasing a letter of confirmation from Orange and god knows what will happen when I tackle that issue! I've got several long trips over the weekend and I'll be back on Destinator for a while. Their support stinks too but at least it works without this debacle!

Sorry for the rant but had to get it off my chest. OK off to open a bottle of wine and try to get over it.
Holux GPSslim
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the frustation.

Something similar has just started for me and I fear it is not going to get sorted.

Quote:
All it needed was for someone to read the emails properly and piece it all together.

That is a on going problem with TomTom, reading the mails properly.

Anyway, did you get it all sorted out in the end?

Clavain
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet but to be fair to Tom Tom (?!!) I only got the letter from Orange by email Friday and forwarded to Tom Tom in the evening. Don't imaginine anyone with authority to do this will be around until tomorrow (Monday) but I'll keep you posted.
Holux GPSslim
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't just a TomTom problem. So many "helpdesks" seem to just read the first line or two of a message, pick up on particular keywords, and send off what they imagine is the right standard answer.
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still in the middle of my problem, lets see how well it works out.

I'll follow your trials and tribulations and keep you posted on mine.

Wink
Clavain
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a reply email today from TomTom saying my account had been reset to my current device code but it gets wierd after that. Every time I install I got the request to activate the maps. But on visiting TomTom Code dot com I don't have my device listed (just the original M5000 and the sick and replaced M3100) and it said contact TT customer support. Hmmm, can't wait to pick up the phone....

Eventually called and was about to enter another loop of 'you've changed your device therefore....' and I pointed out the very last entry in the email. I was sent an activation code immediately and now (at last I'm back up and running with Navigator and Traffic.

I was told in the email that I won't get a credit for the Traffic subscription. (don't you hate it when they add "sory for any inconvenience caused"... like it's heartfelt!) Laughing Out Loud

Not sure if i'm pleased or relieved or plain pi**ed off. I'll sleep on that one.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: