Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New v 6.75 maps available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New v 6.75 maps available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MortalWombat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: New v 6.75 maps available Reply with quote

Anyone know how up to date these are? I would be interested to know if anyone has installed the v 6.75 MoWE. Is it worth the money?

MW
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MortalWombat
Hell, Its only a few months since I purchased the latest Seamless maps of Western Europe. They are pretty accurate too. I suppose one should be pleased that Tomtom have once again given us another chance of updated maps but I think that I will give it a miss this time. However, it will be interesting to read the comments of the ones who do decide to once again part with their hard earned money.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using TTN5 for ages now so ideal time for me to upgrade. Just bought these new 675 maps - £68 for the full Europe version not bad. Taking ages to download, the tomtom servers are really slooooooow.
wadialdoor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought the GB new map v6.75

What a waste of money my road which is a 5 years old still dose not exist in the new map

So I strongly do not advice anyone to buy the new maps

Regards
MortalWombat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: I thought this may be the case Reply with quote

wadialdoor wrote:
I have bought the GB new map v6.75

What a waste of money my road which is a 5 years old still dose not exist in the new map

So I strongly do not advice anyone to buy the new maps

Regards

This is what has put me off getting the new maps. There are roads near me that have existed for years, but which are yet to appear on TomTom maps, so I am concerned that the updates may not be worth it. For the most part, I am happy with the maps that I have I think...!

The previous poster is probably OK to update his maps if he has older version 5 maps... probably a worthwhile update for him.

MW
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit pi**ed off when I read this. I only bought my TTN6 a couple of weeks ago, and the maps are already out-of-date ?

I checked the version number and sure enough mine is not the latest (it’s 652), so I contacted TomTom support about it and received a reply within a few minutes !

The version you have is a similar version to the one available on our website, there are only slight changes.
The version from the website you are referring to is only available as a download and not as a hardware version.
Because those two reasons we cannot provide you with newer mapdata for free.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The version you have is a similar version to the one available on our website, there are only slight changes.

Interesting news, then lets tell everyone not to buy the thing, if even TT acknowledge these changes are minor!
SatMap
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:

As you say, in that case why buy it ?

martike wrote:
The version from the website you are referring to is only available as a download and not as a hardware version.

Are they saying that the files provided by download are different from those pre-installed on an SD card ? The Maps of Western Europe file comes on a DVD, pre-installed on an SD card, or downloaded, but isn't it always the same file with the same content ? Hmmm, maybe not.

martike wrote:
Because those two reasons we cannot provide you with newer mapdata for free.

I think they mean they WILL NOT provide a free update.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People used to complain that map updates were to infrequent from TomTom and now that TomTom makes frequent updates, there are complaints on this.

There is no point in buying regular updates as the changes are so minor, so it is a case of deciding when you feel there are sufficient changes to make it worthwhile to upgrade. It could also be that there is a change that is significant to you such as a new major route around your town or another congestion charge zone is introduced near you.

Personally I would prefer TomTom to provide maps on a subscription basis where for £X you could update your maps to the latest version for a year.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr T
I agree with everything that you say. As I have already said myself, I only purchased their latest update a few months ago and it does me quite fine. The changes on the new map can only be slightly more updated than my map. However, if someone has TT5 with the old original map then the upgrade is worth the money.

By the way I was one of the ones that used to moan because we weren’t getting upgrades and now you have made me feel quite guilty. ‘Shame on me’ I say.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
There is no point in buying regular updates as the changes are so minor, so it is a case of deciding when you feel there are sufficient changes to make it worthwhile to upgrade. It could also be that there is a change that is significant to you such as a new major route around your town or another congestion charge zone is introduced near you.

That sounds like a good strategy, but it does depend on knowing what the changes are, and TomTom doesn't seem to want to tell you that. It would also work better if it were possible to do partial updates, just the parts which interest you, instead of the all-or-nothing approach.

But really my beef was not about the frequency of updates, but the fact that you can go out and buy a "new" TomTom Navigator 6 and not only does it turn out to be not the latest version, but TomTom just isn't interested.

I understand that there can always be old stock in the shops, but the version number isn't shown on the box, so there's no way to know until you've already broken the seal and installed it. A lot of software vendors will give you a free upgrade to the next version if you were unlucky enough to buy an old one just before the new release.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just uploaded V675 Uk map and in my area it has road changes shown later than v660 which is usefull to me, It is also 32mb bigger so it must have something added, oddly it is also a later version than the update map on the teleatlas website as is the WE map V660, so you cannot even see the later changes on thier site.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Just updated to the latest 6.75 map and am quite confused about the data in it. There are indeed some updates to my region, which is good, but at the same time a number of old map errors that were corrected in the 6.60 map have reappeared in the data. How is this possible? Is it due to Tele Atlas or TomTom? Is the concept of Configuration Management unknown to these two companies or how can an old error reappear after it has once been corrected??? I would be very interested to know how the map updating process works for something like this to happen.
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have an answer to my own question above. Various people on the internet say that the V660.1256 WE map was based on Navteq data and not Tele Atlas data that I was assuming. For the v675.1409 maps, on the other hand, TomTom appear to have shifted back to Tele Atlas, which could explain the phenomenon I mention above.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is confusing, I feel sure that my original UK v660 1223 was Teleatlas as is my current v675 1409, it would seem very odd to switch maps between builds, maybe i will stand corrected,

As somebody else said it would be convenient if the revisions were noted between builds.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: