Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Updates - Help Required!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Updates - Help Required!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Camera Updates - Help Required! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

As you may be aware we are getting more and more devices that can use heading data. Both the newer Mio units and DriveSmart are able to use the data to only give warnings when the cameras are on route and not facing the other way.

DriveSmart is also able to calculate, automatically, your average speed for the SPECS zones and this requires not only the heading data but also a note of which is the start camera and which is the end camera.

I'm sure it won't be too long before other manufacturers follow suit!

So, the requests are:

1) When you submit a new camera or a change etc please can you try to include a heading value - if you use the ov2 submission then this is automatically included.

2) If you drive through a set of specs then please can you make a note of the start and end cameras in the set (as well as heading if possible) and submit these as a change request stating if it is a start or end camera.

Cheers very much!

MaFt
LongHaul53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Average Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Hi there.
As I can't seem to find a "contact us" link I thought it best to post this here and see what replies come through. I travel the A14 in Cambridgeshire regularly and I notice you have included the new Average Speed Cameras from Cambridge to Huntingdon. There are only 2 cameras shown, at the start and finish of the stretch of road, but there are in fact 6 camera sites along the road. (11 if you include both directions) I see why you might have only included 2, but it's not very helpful for people joining the system other than at the start. There are many places along the road where you can join and pass a camera without the SatNav alerting you and cameras have been placed to cover these areas. I have submitted all the locations in the hope they will be included to give a complete coverage.
radiopeapod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Tom Tom ONE for a few weeks and I was astonished that they don't (all) automatically take heading into account when reporting speed cameras. After all (my thinking went) they are not really ON your route, to all intents and porpoises. Rather like a motorway service area on the other side that has no bridge.

Is there a good list of which devices or software take heading data into account when reporting POIs?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiopeapod wrote:
After all (my thinking went) they are not really ON your route

On TomToms and most others a "route" is the whole road (or more precisely- carriageway) as you can see when a route is plotted, the only time it doesn't colour-in the whole road is when you're on a dual carriageway.
Also, the POI system was never designed for things like speed cameras. For something like a petrol station or a bank, the POI data only needs to be a point in space.

As for a list of units that can... I think MaFt's list above is about it!
Rebound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont detect cameras, they need to have the Database included to see they are there
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebound - Sorry but who was that a response to?
Dudebabu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Purchasing Speed Camera Update for my Garmin Nuvi 610 Reply with quote

Hi.
I have recently bought a Nuvi 610 and was told about this site. I've had a look around the website and from what I understand the Nuvi 610 is compatible with the updtaes from Pocket GPS. Is it as simple as pay the subscription £19.99 and download onto a folder on my desktop (say) and point the POI loader to this folder to update speed camera updates on my unit?
Will this update my unit or do I need a SD card?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is as simple as that, you don't need a memory card if you have enough free space on the unit.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It is as simple as that, you don't need a memory card if you have enough free space on the unit.

the camera database alone will use up about 500kb - coupled with about 50,000 POIs it'll take up about 6mb (including bitmaps).

you shouldn't need a memory card but unless you have the latest firmware DO NOT LOAD MORE THAN 256 INDIVIDUAL POI FILES!!!

MaFt
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even simpler surely - £19.00 only!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Question Is your post in the right place BigPerk? Doesn't seem to follow from anything that went before....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Speed Camera Update for my Garmin Nuvi 610 Reply with quote

I think it was from this post:
Dudebabu wrote:
Is it as simple as pay the subscription £19.99

whereas the database fee is actually £19.00.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - sorry about that - I was looking at what I thought was a list of the latest topic updates, so thought this had just been submitted - I wanted to try and stop the person making an incorrect payment - I only noticed afterwards the list seemed to have changed to include some old entries, so my comment now looks a bit silly!
smudger879n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There, Does anybody know where I can get "New Road" updates for my RAC200 sat-nav that I bought recently, as when I went ont the RAC web site, that a lot of other folk are looking as well?
Cheers, Smudger.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Automatic updates Reply with quote

Hi folks, I wonder if anyone can help me, Can you get automatic updates through TT Home (Version 2.1) with PGPS Database as you would with your TT updates when you connect to your computer.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: