Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPSMAP60CSx and Mapsource differ on routing?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPSMAP60CSx and Mapsource differ on routing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP60CSx and Mapsource differ on routing? Reply with quote

I have just bought a GPSMAP60CSx and City Navigator Europe v9. I have used it for the first time today on a cycle ride. The mapping software produced a route from a series of waypoints which appears correctly on the PC screen at home but when downloaded into the GPSMAP60CSx the route at one point diverts around a longer loop and follows a different path to that shown on my home PC screen despite all the waypoints loading correctly. This means that I apparently cannot rely on the handheld to follow a route plotted in City Navigator. I understand that the download to the GPS comprises only the waypoints and that the GPS unit re-calculates its own best route, but I had all the relevant preferences - use bike, follow road, shortest route, etc. - set the same in both mapping software and the GPS unit so why did the latter come up with a different route? Any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your units of position it is possible they are set to use different reference grids, look for:

NAD27
WGS84
British National Grid
Lat/ Long

Make sure they are set to use the same as the system your trail was created under - Mike
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though they use the same map data, there may be differences between a route calculated by MapSource and your GPS unit. You don't have exactly the same options for both, for example MapSource has a Road Selection Option which I've discovered will give a different route for even a minor change and your 60CSx has a Calculation Method option which presumably sets how "deep" the routing is performed.

Only thing I can think to do is try and find out why the longer loop was taken by the unit and maybe inserting a via Waypoint so that it calculates the same route as MapSource.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: