Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed limit numbers to small to read for OAP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed limit numbers to small to read for OAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsharrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: speed limit numbers to small to read for OAP Reply with quote

on a Garmin nuvi 200 is there any way to have a louder alert noise or better still a voice alert for speed camera ahead max speed 30mph (for example)
or a bigger font showing the max speed allowed as I have trouble seeing the small print on nuvi screen
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: speed limit numbers to small to read for OAP Reply with quote

rsharrock wrote:
on a Garmin nuvi 200 is there any way to have a louder alert noise or better still a voice alert for speed camera ahead max speed 30mph (for example)
or a bigger font showing the max speed allowed as I have trouble seeing the small print on nuvi screen

The Nüvi 2xx isn't .mp3 capable - so the Voice Alert option isn't available. There is a possibility of using ASH10's software (see the stickies) and changing some of the .wav files that make up the standard alerts. You can make them marginally louder (and a lot more distorted) doing that. You might be able to make them more obtrusive, by recording your own. (You'd only be looking to change the low-pitched "BONG" that's used for Proximity Alerts and the higher-pitched "PING" that's used for Speed Alerts)

Your best bet is external amplification (of some description), plugged into the headphone socket. Anything from a cheapo 'iPod' type amp., to an 'FM' transmitter or one of those 'cassette' interfaces. The latter two options would involve sacrificing your radio listening.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: speed limit numbers to small to read for OAP Reply with quote

rsharrock wrote:
on a Garmin nuvi 200 ....... or a bigger font showing the max speed allowed as I have trouble seeing the small print on nuvi screen

Though I did a set for TomToms, they are standard bmp images so I suspect they would work on Garmins as well. You will probably need the 22x22 set.

To load them instead, after unzipping the camera file, overwrite the bmp images in that with the ones from my site before doing the POILoader bit.

Note that I haven't tested these on a Garmin so if someone would like to chip in with any thoughts, please do so.

Here are some examples:

You can download them from here.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: