Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Im in first!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Im in first!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right jaskel it is a bit long winded. I'm not very well practiced in trying to review a satnav device unlike Darren and others, I was just trying to pass on my experience of the Pogo so others thinking of buying one would have someone's personal account to base their decision on rather than just the sales pitch. So sorry for the boring bits folks just hope there is enough useful bits thread through also. Unfortunately I can go back and re-edit it.

By the way, how did you get on with the Syrius you bought? Well I think it was the Syrius anyway.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

FYI, I have been speaking to Dave Triphook of Origin Technologies, and he has spoken about a firmware upgrade for the PogoDrive due soon. I have no other info about it, so I will try and push him into revealing what the changes are. He did add that the firmware upgrade *should* be delivered by the update software supplied with the unit.

BB

PS - NN, it sounds like you have had the initial mixed feeling about the PogoDrive as I had. I have also discovered my quickclear windscreen does affect the PogoDrives signal lock - I ordered and have received an external antenna and positioned it at the rear of my Mondeo estate and now the PogoDrive is receiving a much healthier GPS signal.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQKing wrote:
PS - NN, it sounds like you have had the initial mixed feeling about the PogoDrive as I had. I have also discovered my quickclear windscreen does affect the PogoDrives signal lock - I ordered and have received an external antenna and positioned it at the rear of my Mondeo estate and now the PogoDrive is receiving a much healthier GPS signal.

do the specs mention which GPS Chipset the Pogo uses? There really is no excuse for a current device having such issues unless they are using an older chipset design?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttynurse wrote:
Your right jaskel it is a bit long winded. I'm not very well practiced in trying to review a satnav device unlike Darren and others, I was just trying to pass on my experience of the Pogo so others thinking of buying one would have someone's personal account to base their decision on rather than just the sales pitch. So sorry for the boring bits folks just hope there is enough useful bits thread through also. Unfortunately I can go back and re-edit it.

I've broken the post with spacing at the paragraph breaks to make it more digestible. Do you have any photos as I could insert them into your post. I'll also approach Origin again and see if I can liberate a review unit!
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
BBQKing wrote:

do the specs mention which GPS Chipset the Pogo uses? There really is no excuse for a current device having such issues unless they are using an older chipset design?

The only details so far are that is uses SiRF III technology.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is indeed SiRFStarIII then I'm surprised that a heated windscreen is affecting the signal, SSIII is normally unaffected by such Confused
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it could also be something else, as my Mondeo has more user-added gadgets in it than a standard Mondeo IE, bluetooth h/f car kit for mobile phone, the DriveSmart unit plus my TT MKII GPS receiver holder (powered), plus my Orange SPV M5000 in a powered holder when I'm driving. Also have powered holders for Dell Axim and TT Go 300. All these items are either hardwired into the cars electrics or take power from a 3-in-1 cigar lighter adapter that is also hard wired into the electrics, all at the front of the vehicle.

I am also the user of a DS Def2 that has (and never resolved) EMI issues left, right and centre!! So there may be bad signal leakage that could also affect these devices coming from the front (or near front) of the vehicle.

Anything is possible.

BB
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes Embarassed In which case as you say it could be any number of casues there and I thought my car was bad Wink
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If it is indeed SiRFStarIII then I'm surprised that a heated windscreen is affecting the signal, SSIII is normally unaffected by such Confused

Agreed - I was under that impression as well, but reading other SatNav sites on how GPS works, several of them *do* admit heated front windscreen do cause issues, as well as athermic windscreens, and these web pages have been up online before the PogoDrive was ever around!

Its similar to PC I'm afraid (my field of work) - one manufacturers add-on card (be it PCI, PCI-X, AGP etc) may work flawlessly on one machine, but have terrible issues on another machine. Nothing is perfect!!
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ah yes Embarassed In which case as you say it could be any number of casues there and I thought my car was bad Wink

Darren, we *really* should swap pictures of our cars cabins Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQKing wrote:
Agreed - I was under that impression as well, but reading other SatNav sites on how GPS works, several of them *do* admit heated front windscreen do cause issues, as well as athermic windscreens, and these web pages have been up online before the PogoDrive was ever around!

Its similar to PC I'm afraid (my field of work) - one manufacturers add-on card (be it PCI, PCI-X, AGP etc) may work flawlessly on one machine, but have terrible issues on another machine. Nothing is perfect!!

Absolutely but in days of yore athermic and heated screens often caused issues with the chipsets then available. SiRFStarIII and other later designs resolved this and I've never heard of issues since their arrival.

PC's are also my field, I run an IT Consultancy. Thankfully I leave hardware to the manufacturers now, been a while since I custom built for custmers thank god!
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe a firmware upgrade will solve the problem!! Maybe the PogoDrive is like the new Wembley stadium - need to iron out the teething problems.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reference I can find to a GPS receiver is in the Pogo booklet that states it "contains a state-of-the-art GPS receiver" but not the make or type. It does however seem to need a clear view of the sky, even when sitting by the lounge window it sometimes appeared reluctant to lock on to a signal so it would be interesting to know what type of gps receiver is fitted, perhaps we have been fobbed off with an older type.

I don't have a modern car or heated front screen to worry about. In use I found that the Pogo took a few minutes to lock on from cold. It also seemed to take just as long to re-lock onto a signal after a reboot, though I never lost the signal whilst driving, other than when going through the tunnel I mentioned. The biggest problem I had was hearing the female voice giving directions whilst travelling above 50/60 + it was just not audible at these speeds. Below these speeds I could hear her very clearly and yes the volume was set to the maximum level. By comparison I could clearly hear the female voice of my brother's Garmin i3 even at 70mph so it is clearly a volume level or speaker issue I have and not just the noise level of my car.. Has anyone else found difficult hearing the instructions at higher speeds?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQKing wrote;
Quote:
my Mondeo has more user-added gadgets in it than a standard Mondeo IE, bluetooth h/f car kit for mobile phone, the DriveSmart unit plus my TT MKII GPS receiver holder (powered), plus my Orange SPV M5000 in a powered holder when I'm driving. Also have powered holders for Dell Axim and TT Go 300. All these items are either hardwired into the cars electrics or take power from a 3-in-1 cigar lighter adapter that is also hard wired into the electrics, all at the front of the vehicle.

I am also the user of a DS Def2

Mondeo? Looks more like the Starship Enterprise.
Do you have a camera upfront to be able to see out of the windscreen.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mondeo? Looks more like the Starship Enterprise.
Do you have a camera upfront to be able to see out of the windscreen.

Most of my gadgets are dashboard mounted using Brodit mounting solutions, so the windscreen is pretty much clear! Just my DriveSmart occupies some windscreen real estate (oh yeah and the PogoDrive when fitted).

BB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: