Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disappointed with Navman ICN 530 !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointed with Navman ICN 530 !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Techie_Brian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Disappointed with Navman ICN 530 ! Reply with quote

I just bought a Navman ICN 530 because it was heavily reduced in price.
But Im pretty disappointed with it for the following reasons.

1) It doesnt have many of the new roads here in Dublin Ireland that were built in the last two years. Navman should at least one free upgrade of maps that youve already paid for.

2) The search function cannot find certain major Dublin streets becuase of a naming convention. For example if you want to go to Baggot Street (a major street in Dublin) you have search for Upper Baggot St or Lower Baggot St. If you search for "Baggot", it wont find it.

3) Ive imported 160 points of interest around Ireland they dont show up until Im really zoomed in. So when Im driving around I cant see where my nearest point of interest is in relation to where I am.

4) Ive had it plugged into the car charger for about 10 hours now and the battery life indicator has never gone above 60% full. Why is that? Am I require to turn off the device while driving around in order to fullly charge it !!!

I dont know how good other GPSs are but I certainly wouldnt recommend a Navman
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a while I too realised that the battery doesn't seem to charge when the unit is powered on!

The 530 was in many ways a very handy device and I sort of regret selling it. Yes it had some issues but I think all sat navs do.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) and 2) are map data provided by TA, not Navman. Any navigation system using TA map data will have this problem.

3) - Well thats always a hard one - you like to see everything, other complain the screen gets cluttered and too many POIs are drawn - Navman cannot win this opinoin based battle. maybe if they made it configurable, but then you get people complaining the system to too complex to use - again anotehr battle thats hard to win.

4) What I suggest is to plug it in using the mains adapter overnight and see if the battery fully charges. If that does not work, ask for a replacement, it may be a faulty unit.

Apart from problem 4) you have very little to complain about and nothing that choosing another product would solve.
Techie_Brian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: ICN 530 missing whole towns in Ireland !! Reply with quote

Quote:

Apart from problem 4) you have very little to complain about and nothing that choosing another product would solve.

Thanks for that feedback Robertn. Well its comforting to know that other products are no better. But after discovering another problem with the Navman 530 today Im wondering if thats really true.

Today I saw that the Navman 530 is missing the entire towns of Tramore and Dunmore East in Ireland !!! These are established towns that have been there for hundreds of years!!! Seeing that made me wish Id stumped up a few more quid for a TomTom Sad
malcolmb1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine never charged in the car. Initially I charged it from the USB port on my laptop before realising it would charge from my Motorola phone charger.

What was REALLY surprising was when I bought a T1 TMC receiver it would charge in the car - go figure - but TMC reception in the UK isn't great so it's an expensive way to get it to charge in the car.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ICN 530 missing whole towns in Ireland !! Reply with quote

Techie_Brian wrote:

Today I saw that the Navman 530 is missing the entire towns of Tramore and Dunmore East in Ireland !!! These are established towns that have been there for hundreds of years!!! Seeing that made me wish Id stumped up a few more quid for a TomTom Sad

This is again something to complain to TeleAtlas, not Navman. I think their coverage of Ireland is only 75%. All sat nav units using TeleAtlas data would have the same map data -- and same towns missing. Whichever problems you have with map coverage it has nothing to do with Navman but TeleAtlas and whichever other unit you might have bought that uses the same map data would have the same problems, regardless of how much you paid for it.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malcolmb1963 wrote:
Mine never charged in the car. Initially I charged it from the USB port on my laptop before realising it would charge from my Motorola phone charger.

What was REALLY surprising was when I bought a T1 TMC receiver it would charge in the car - go figure - but TMC reception in the UK isn't great so it's an expensive way to get it to charge in the car.

T1 charges 530 through bottom connector so can send more current to the unit. USB is limited to 1 A by USB spec and there's nothing you can do about -- if you allowed unit to suck more current through USB than it could fry you laptop. That's why Navman is selling charging car cradles without TMC -- USB plug will provide just enough to keep unit operating without draining the battery but it won't charge it; charging cradle will do both.
Techie_Brian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointed with Navman ICN 530 ! Reply with quote

Techie_Brian wrote:
I just bought a Navman ICN 530 because it was heavily reduced in price.
But Im pretty disappointed with it for the following reasons.

1) It doesnt have many of the new roads here in Dublin Ireland that were built in the last two years. Navman should at least one free upgrade of maps that youve already paid for.

2) The search function cannot find certain major Dublin streets becuase of a naming convention. For example if you want to go to Baggot Street (a major street in Dublin) you have search for Upper Baggot St or Lower Baggot St. If you search for "Baggot", it wont find it.

3) Ive imported 160 points of interest around Ireland they dont show up until Im really zoomed in. So when Im driving around I cant see where my nearest point of interest is in relation to where I am.

4) Ive had it plugged into the car charger for about 10 hours now and the battery life indicator has never gone above 60% full. Why is that? Am I require to turn off the device while driving around in order to fullly charge it !!!

I dont know how good other GPSs are but I certainly wouldnt recommend a Navman

Well after using the Navman 530 for 2 weeks the maps were so bad I decided I had to bring it back and exchange it for a different model. I exchanged it for a TomTom One which cost an extra 70 Euro.
Hats off to Currys appliance store for allowing me to exchange it.

The TomTom One is MUCH better. It has all the towns and streets of Ireland unlike Navman even though its maps also come from TeleAtlas.

For anyone considering buying a Navman think about this. A Navman 530 manufactured 9 months ago has maps from TeleAtlas. A TomTom One also has maps from TeleAtlas. But the Navman is missing whole towns from its maps whereas the TomTom isnt missing any. Conclusion - Dont buy Navman products.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Tom Tom one do you have. The Europe version has all of Western Europe on Navtech maps. The regional (UK only) does use Teleatlas I believe. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong on this) is that Ireland has only been fully mapped by Navtech apparently due to the high fees required by the Irish Ordnance Survey.

Terry Walsh
Techie_Brian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryWalsh wrote:
Which Tom Tom one do you have. The Europe version has all of Western Europe on Navtech maps. The regional (UK only) does use Teleatlas I believe. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong on this) is that Ireland has only been fully mapped by Navtech apparently due to the high fees required by the Irish Ordnance Survey.

Terry Walsh

The TomTom One for sale in Ireland is a UK version. It has all UK and Ireland maps. The packaging and the copyright page indicate the maps are from TeleAtlas.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also stated you paid 70 Euro more for the TT than the Navman - why not buy a N series Navman for about the same price, which has more recent maps than the "discounted because it is old" iCN530.

"I really hate this 1999 Honda - it's no where near as good as this 2007 Toyota that cost me twice the price" is what you are saying.

Tomtom is a great brand that makes great products, arguably better than Navman does, but NOT because it has better maps - they use the same maps.

I do not imagine Navman remove entire cities from the maps to make there products worse than other, because that is also what you are implying.
4Andy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Info lacking from PC World Reply with quote

The analogy with the Honda 1999 versus the Toyota 2007 doesn't stand up. We are looking at two different 2007 GPS brands, not a s/hand versus new comparison. When I buy a Navman 2007 I expect the software/maps to be bang up to date. I just bought a brand new ICN530 a week ago. My first entry into the GPS world. The PC World salesman told me it had the latest Ireland UK maps and he was right. What he didn't say was that Ireland was only 40% mapped whereas the TomTom was over 90%.

The Navman box has that information on the "bottom" of the box in very small print. For a first purchase I am in the hands of an adviser. In this case PC World let me down.

However, the Navman is a great unit and we are told that Teleatlas have now updated their Ireland maps and Navman will be offering them later this year.

I don't mind paying for the latest maps after a year or so but not 10 days after I bought the unit.

I think Navman should run a special offer for those who thought they were getting a better map system based on date of purchase. I will be telling them that and If i get no response then I still have the option of a refund from PC world and switch to TomTom who have Navteq maps.
virgo2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I have a icn 530, does anyone know where to buy cheap usa maps from, or does anyone have usa maps to sell or exchange for europe maps. cheers
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the discussion on the cost of map updates (Not free) - you will find I support you the issue of a reasonableness in teh pricing. You will also find most people on this forum believe map updates should be charged at exorbident prices for no other reason than "because the manufacturer/industry can do what he wants".

Good luck with getting a dicsounted update - most people are finding that Ebay the old unit and buying a new one is cheaper that the upgrade prices
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
You will also find most people on this forum believe map updates should be charged at exorbident prices for no other reason than "because the manufacturer/industry can do what he wants".

For someone who goes into great detail and produces reasoned arguments on this forum, I'm surprised that you have made such an unsubstantiated statement or are you just trying to promote reaction. 8O Where is the evidence to support that statement Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: