Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Specs on A14 (Cambs)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs on A14 (Cambs)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TezmitcH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Specs on A14 (Cambs) Reply with quote

I was driving from home (Peterborough) to Bar Hill today and noticed that what I presume are the talked about specs cameras have been put in place just after the A14/A141 junction and further towards Cambridge. They have covers over them at present. Does anyone know when these go live or if there's any truth in the rumour that they are only going to used overnight? To be honest I can't see them being of any use during daytime work hours as the traffic along that stretch barely moves.
They don't look like the usual specs cameras that I've seen.

Just curious...

Tez
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs on A14 (Cambs) Reply with quote

TezmitcH wrote:
They don't look like the usual specs cameras that I've seen.
Just curious...

Have you looked at the cameras guide here to see if they match any of these cameras?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TezmitcH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are definitely specs (third picture) they have black covers over them at present but yesterday morning someone must have thought they weren't as at the second set heading towards Cambridge a 56 plate Ford Focus was hit from behind by another car and he was hit by a 56 plate Merc right underneath them. That road is bad enough with 2 lanes clear nevermind only one.

Tez
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you submit them? - they're not on the latest download (28th February).

TezmitcH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't submit them, I didn't have my satnav with me to get locations correct. I presumed that someone would have already done it as I've submitted camera locations and errors previously and always seem to be beaten to it for the free membership. The submissions I have done have all been changed with the next database release. I'm surprised no-one else has posted any comments in this thread regarding these cameras.
If I get down there again soon I'll try and pinpoint the correct location and submit them.

Tez
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TezmitcH wrote:
No I didn't submit them, I didn't have my satnav with me to get locations correct. I presumed that someone would have already done it as I've submitted camera locations and errors previously and always seem to be beaten to it for the free membership.

What a shame - looks like if you'd done it you would be looking at free membership!! But I think most of us submit cameras for the benefit of the database, rather than for the free membership prize. I don't often get chance to report them early, because by the time I get home from my day out, most other people have already got back and reported them. But my report might still make a difference - new cameras don't get onto the DB until they've been validated - either by a member of the pgpsw team of verifiers, or sometimes by several reports all of the same camera in the same location by a number of members. So even a "free membership unsuccessful" report is valuable as it could get the camera into the DB that much quicker.
Incidentally, I never go anywhere without my satnav device - even on familiar routes you never know, a new camera may have popped in whilst you were home watching the footie.

TezmitcH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to input the 2 cameras at the 14/141 junction using the map in the submit section and there are 2 camera symbols already there. One shows a yellow symbol with 70 in it and the one on the other side has a question mark. Are these waiting to be verified or something? the other 2 are 2 miles up the road heading towards Cambridge.

Incidentally as you mentioned about cameras being submitted and then validated. I was wondering how a camera in a previous database was actually entered which has never existed? There was a Gatso showing on the westbound carriageway of the A47 Peterborough just as you entered the dual carriageway (about 20 meters iirc) after leaving the roundabout at the A47/A15 junction. This Gatso has never existed in the 8 years I have lived here.

Microsoft livesearch link: (it was shown just near the first set of lights heading west)
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=44.023938~-99.71&style=h&lvl=4&tilt=-89.875918865193&dir=0&alt=7689462.6842358

How was this validated?? I submitted an error for the camera and noticed that it is not shown now. I obviously wasn't the only one to notice it as it's now gone. This particular stretch of road has only ever had temps on it due to carriageway repairs (currently nearing completion) and the temps will then be removed.

Tez
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TezmitcH wrote:
I went to input the 2 cameras at the 14/141 junction using the map in the submit section and there are 2 camera symbols already there. One shows a yellow symbol with 70 in it and the one on the other side has a question mark. Are these waiting to be verified or something? the other 2 are 2 miles up the road heading towards Cambridge.

Incidentally as you mentioned about cameras being submitted and then validated. I was wondering how a camera in a previous database was actually entered which has never existed? There was a Gatso showing on the westbound carriageway of the A47 Peterborough just as you entered the dual carriageway (about 20 meters iirc) after leaving the roundabout at the A47/A15 junction. This Gatso has never existed in the 8 years I have lived here.

Microsoft livesearch link: (it was shown just near the first set of lights heading west)

How was this validated?? I submitted an error for the camera and noticed that it is not shown now. I obviously wasn't the only one to notice it as it's now gone. This particular stretch of road has only ever had temps on it due to carriageway repairs (currently nearing completion) and the temps will then be removed.

Tez

If you go back to the map submission page where you were wanting to submit, zoom in to the camera symbols and click on them. That will give you details at bottom left of map (under the word "Google") - you'll see either an immense set of coordinates 51.12345678901234567890 or when you get the click spot on, something like Specs:29653@70, which is a 70 mph specs camera (average speed). The ? mark means the speed has has not been validated (and you'd be helping if you submitted a change to the speed).

The Live Search link took me to North Dakota I'm afraid (I can never seem to get those links to work myself). But that mystery camera is one of life's mysteries. I'd offer two possible explanations - First, it was there once upon a time and your memory is playing you up (I think sometimes a Temp camera gets misreported as a Gatso - roadworks during your world cruise?). Second, there is a school of thought that there are some wicked people out there who take pleasure in getting together and sending in reports to jigger up the database. I understand that the validation process is either someone from pgpsw goes and gives the place an eyeball, or alternatively they receive several reports of the same camera at the same location. So if two or three vandals each did that, it'd get into the database (I believe it happens in some rat run villages as an alternative to putting up fake cameras in their gardens). Just book it down as a mystery and take thanks for having reported it as wrong.

freedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and for Pete's sake, when you DO earn a freebie DON'T stop reporting those cameras! Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedie wrote:
... and for Pete's sake, when you DO earn a freebie DON'T stop reporting those cameras! Wink

And for DennisN's sake too, please - Like freedie I too do at least 60K a year and one of these days I'll be going round the A14/141 area.

InDeNiaL
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw these added to the latest camera database. I'm guessing all the fixed along that stretch will be going?

Was just talking to my dad about them and he also tells me SPECS is going up over the Orwell Bridge on the A14 at Ipswich and these appear to be missing.

Anyone confirm?
TezmitcH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went along the A14 from the A1 to The M11 today (both directions) and noticed that there are more cameras up now and the Old cameras are being removed within the first and last specs sets. Also there are new signs being placed along the route warning of average speed cameras. I submitted a few corrections on speed limit (I think I did it right.)

The problem I have is I'm using a Navman iCN520 with Tom Tom software due to the outdated maps on the Navman. (I also refuse to pay for the latest maps as I think they should have been free as I bought mine Just before Christmas with maps that were about 3 years old.)

It's not easy for me to log exact positions using the above while driving a Lorry. Sometimes this part of the road is a total gridlock which is the ideal opportunity for me to log corrections. Not that I like being toe to toe with other lorry's stopping and starting for hours. However I will keep updating any errors in the database when I get the chance.

Tez

"This week I are be mostly driving .... A Foden"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: