Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin - Rubbish basic routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin - Rubbish basic routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Garmin - Rubbish basic routing Reply with quote

Garmin 360

Terrible compared to my old Medion.

1. Insists on sending me on the M6 instead of the M6 Toll
2. Often tells me to leave a motorwary on an exit, then recalculates and takes 5 mins off my estimated journey time when I ignore it.
3. Is hopeless around my home, sending me WAY out of my way.
4. To cap it all the estimated time of arrival is very bad, and with no customisable options.

Very disappointed.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from memory they use the same maps ( medion and garmin) what route setting are you using

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
from memory they use the same maps ( medion and garmin) what route setting are you using

Fastest.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastest means heading for motorways and doing longer journeys .Even on TomTom and virtually every other make.

If you know the area then use your brain and let the gps get you out of trouble if it all goes belly up.

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
fastest means heading for motorways and doing longer journeys .Even on TomTom and virtually every other make.

If you know the area then use your brain and let the gps get you out of trouble if it all goes belly up.

Of course..........but the Medion took me via the "best" route without any trouble. Thats my point.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i understand the m6-toll is longer than the m6 equivalent hence it takes you on the fastest route. even if you have avoid toll roads turned off then it'd still avoid the tm6 toll due to it being longer.

if you want to go on the toll road just go on the toll road and it'll recalculate

MaFt
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
from what i understand the m6-toll is longer than the m6 equivalent hence it takes you on the fastest route. even if you have avoid toll roads turned off then it'd still avoid the tm6 toll due to it being longer.

if you want to go on the toll road just go on the toll road and it'll recalculate

MaFt

I know m8, I am just saying that the Medion worked this out automatically. i.e. it must have known that the Toll road gives a shorter journey time than the M6.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xspartx wrote:

I know m8, I am just saying that the Medion worked this out automatically. i.e. it must have known that the Toll road gives a shorter journey time than the M6.

Only if someone told it. Laughing

It may depend upon your destination. I have noticed that my nuvi ignores the M6Toll if my destination is SW of B'ham but chooses it if it's SE - which would seem about the right behaviour for fastest/quickest routing - given the distance differences. But in reality (for most times of the day) it's a no-brainer - the M6T is faster and easier to drive - so take the toll road and the nuvi will catch up very quickly!

Always bear in mind that these devices are not to be followed slavishly. If you know where you are going - you don't need one. They are very useful if you don't know where you are going though - but you still need to use your experience as a driver to question the route choice from time to time.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin - Rubbish basic routing Reply with quote

xspartx wrote:
4. To cap it all the estimated time of arrival is very bad, and with no customisable options.

The reason there are no customisable options is that the Nuvi learns over time how fast you drive on different classes of roads and then uses this information to estimate time of arrival. You should find that after a few days use the estimates improve.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin - Rubbish basic routing Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:

The reason there are no customisable options is that the Nuvi learns over time how fast you drive on different classes of roads and then uses this information to estimate time of arrival. You should find that after a few days use the estimates improve.

Does it then use the 'modified' speed to plan a route. I.e. if you drive slowly on unclassified roads does it stop routing us down them? I can't say I have noticed this or a change to estimation of journey time on my 660 yet Smile
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin - Rubbish basic routing Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Does it then use the 'modified' speed to plan a route. I.e. if you drive slowly on unclassified roads does it stop routing us down them?

I believe not, unfortunately.
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today it sent me home via a different route, from the same motorway junction.

ATM Medion beats Garmin in the route stakes
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends on where it starts navigating from. If you start off the road network it does tend to think of 2 different ways as it picks an exit point and then works out the route from there. so 2 different exit points - 2 different routes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: