Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Goodbye Navman, Hello Mitac
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodbye Navman, Hello Mitac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Goodbye Navman, Hello Mitac Reply with quote

So Navman has sold off it's GPS business to Mitac. This should be interesting, I wonder how things will go, maybe Mitac will use the Navman name and develop what they have, or they could just dump the lot and do Mitac products.
It would be nice to think that they would continue to support the users who have been using Navman products and develop them further.

I had a depressing call with Navman's technical support who stated (prior to the Mitac announcement) that they would no longer support the PocketPC market. So this could be a definite sign that they have no intention to release a new SmartST version.

Oh well, I guess I'd better start investigating other software. Hello TomTom, Navigon, CoPilot
Becker MapPilot Integrated in Car
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MattB,

I noticed coming to this site that news of the Mitac purchase of Navman, so as you say the future will be interesting.

Coincidently, I rang Navman (Australia) earlier today, rather than my usual monthly email, to find out the status of the maps etc for the PocketPCs that were supposedly to be released last Sept. After my normal bitching and asking some pointed questions here is what the reply was.

* This big delay was due to the mapping they received being in the wrong format. (hhmm!! .. Why not ask map supplier to supply in required format ?)

* Navman are now into designing new software to be able to handle the new mapping formats. (sounds a bit like making a coffin to fit a hole rather than the reverse)

* Software and maps will not be available for PocketPC's other than the PiN 570

* Although no software in particular for PiN 100 / PiN 300 series (my interest), the PiN 570 softwares / maps will be able to be used on 100/300 units (Questioned %$@ ?? ... was told they have PiN 100 unit running new maps software in house).

* No official date can be given for new release but at present 4 - 6 weeks is hoped for. (I have heard the same time-frame for past 6 months)

* That Navman is extremely sorry, again, for this hold up.

So it's now a case of do we believe what Navman says or do we turn elsewhere or wait to see what Mitac will do with Navman. One thing is that Mitac, from my point of view, seem to be forward looking and appear to give glimpses of their future products etc. One thing that has to get better id Management. of the company and it's concerns and interests in its Customer base.

(digressing from the above, my PiN 300 unit is now running a 4GB SD card and all seems well)

Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these excerpts from a report in the "Taipei Times" 27/02/07 by the President of Mitac, Billy Ho :

"As the two parties have only signed a definite agreement, with the deal expected to be closed by the end of next month, terms of the transaction were not yet available as MiTAC is still evaluating financial figures, he added"

"As Navman has become a well-known brand name since its establishment, MiTAC said that Navman and Mio will remain two independent brands under its operations, although a better market segmentation would be achieved."

So the Navman name may continue, with better customer service perhaps !

Regards,
Denis
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There was movement at the station, for the word had passed around that the colt from old Regret had got away ........"

OOPS !!!! That should be "the GPS from old Navman had nearly got away .... "

What do we see today ?.... a flurry of new maps being released (for limited products/units). Is this a quick, "get some product to the market" ploy, so that Mitac don't see an almost non functional Navman company when is comes to conclude it's takeover of Navman supposedly at the end of this month.

Perhaps the next weeks could be VERY interesting !!!

Regards,
Denis
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so you want to read the writing on the wall.
Navman have essentially closed there Christchurch (New Zealand) office. 50 people laid off and 15 moved to Auckland.

Note Mitac said they would keep the brand.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGreen wrote:
What do we see today ?.... a flurry of new maps being released (for limited products/units). Is this a quick, [i]"get some product to the market" ploy, so that Mitac don't see an almost non functional Navman company when is comes to conclude it's takeover of Navman supposedly at the end of this month.

Today? There are no maps on the EU site today which weren't there last week.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I was only going by the headlines of the European On-line Shop "Navman New Arrivals Quick Links" and the Australian On-line Shop's "Recently Arrived". A few days before my last message these headlines did not exist.

Although I am not sure that the release of the EU maps for the PiN570, on offer, (my interest) is the latest release. If what you are telling me then the maps could be old versions. I do note that Eastern European maps are on offer for some models. These, I don't recall being around till of late.

Once again, I submitted from Navman site (UK On-line Shop) a query as to the PiN 570 EU maps in regards to being able to be used on my PiN 300, and if so what release the maps are. As usual 10 days have passed and not a reply. (Navman - Australia did tell me that maps are compatible, but these days I seek a second opinion when dealing with Navman)

Oh well !! Perhaps it is just Navman being its normal self. Roll on Mitac, and let's hope of better customer support / concern from them.

Regards,
Denis Green
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, understood. The Eastern Europe maps have been available for a few weeks, I think. As to your PiN300, the 570 maps will work on it as they will on any suitable PPC device (my iPAQ5555, for instance, and the PiN100 even).

As far as I'm aware, the maps for the PPC range hasn't been updated since the ones which came out with SmartST2005 for PPC, though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: